*A damsel in distress... please help!*

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phattacorider
Multi-disc changers are horrible, too many mechanical parts, mechanics usually fail before electronics. There is only one fuse and one power source. It's an all in one double-din unit. The only thing you can try is pull the harness from the radio for at least a few seconds, helps reset the memory in the changer. If it still doesn't do it then the cross connecting during your jump messed up the motherboards that initiate motor movement. All you can do with that is either use it for the radio alone, or pull it out and get another radio installed and take the old radio apart for retrieval of your old media.

Thank you for your response... now I think I'll hunt down the guy from the towing company and strangle him.....ggrrrr....

Old 02-02-2009, 03:16 PM
I have the same problem with my single disc in my 2005 F-150. It will say "disc error" or "no disc". But it does initially try to eject the disc. I ended up using a small knife to lift up the bottom of the cd to get it to fully eject. It's probably not good for the cd if you continually do this, but I don't us the cd player anymore, just the i-pod. Now I'm looking for a double din replacement with navigation and dvd without breaking the bank!!! There are too many of them broke already

Old 02-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Try pulling the fuse for the radio and reinstalling it and see if that helps.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:54 PM
You must have really had that guy distracted

Old 02-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Final update...for anyone that cares..

Thanks everyone for your replies..suggestions... An installer refused to look at it.. said he didn't do anything with factory stereos...whatever.... So, I took it to Ford, and I told them what happened. They pulled it out.. said it's screwed and that they would send it away and then Ford sends me a replacement unit for a mere $400...plus labor of course. He said he couldn't say for sure whether the cross terminal thing messed it up, but there's a chance that it did. So.. word of advise.. don't ever do it.

Again.. thank you for your help.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Check the fuses. I think the problem is there.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:21 AM
People, it isnt a fuse problem. PERIOD! Been there done that, in fact Ive been on both sides. The one to fix it and the one to mess it up.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Ide make the auto body tech that crossed the batter cables pay for it, if he is a mechanic and cant tell the difference between positive and negative terminals he shouldnt be working on cars period.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by c1t1d1
Ide make the auto body tech that crossed the batter cables pay for it, if he is a mechanic and cant tell the difference between positive and negative terminals he shouldnt be working on cars period.
If this guy wasnt paid to do this, than you cant expect the samaritan to pay. If he was paid to jump it off, then yes get with him and demand.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by pvexplr06

Thanks everyone for your replies..suggestions... An installer refused to look at it.. said he didn't do anything with factory stereos...whatever.... So, I took it to Ford, and I told them what happened. They pulled it out.. said it's screwed and that they would send it away and then Ford sends me a replacement unit for a mere $400...plus labor of course. He said he couldn't say for sure whether the cross terminal thing messed it up, but there's a chance that it did. So.. word of advise.. don't ever do it.

Don't do it. There are factory stereos for the F1's on here all the time pretty cheap. I'm sure you can find one for the Explorer on a good Explorer site cheap.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:52 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by pvexplr06

I'm not extremely familiar with the multidisc changer that Ford puts out for the current years as far as connectivity, but I have an MP3 factory cd player with auxiliary support that I used for 3 months before I upgraded. I will never install it in my truck again since I have a couple of other headunits laying around I can use, and it works great. I'll check for myself but if you or anyone can verify compatibility, I'd sell it to you. It's from my 2007 F150. It has two harnesses for speaker, power, acc, ground, dimmer, and aux. I can take pix of it for you if you're interested.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Low_e_Red
If this guy wasnt paid to do this, than you cant expect the samaritan to pay. If he was paid to jump it off, then yes get with him and demand.
If i recall she call them to come out and give her a jump start. If they guy didnt know what he was doing then he should have to pay. So low_e_red you saying if you called for a tech to come out and give you a jump start and he did the same thing to your truck and say it messed up your whole electrical system (not saying that would happen) but you saying if it did that you wouldnt make him pay for his stupidity? Most techs are certified , they should know who to hook up a battery.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:41 AM
No, you didnt read my post then. I said, if he gave the jump without being paid for that, then NO. If he was, then YES. He was called out because she locked her keys in her car.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Low_e_Red
No, you didnt read my post then. I said, if he gave the jump without being paid for that, then NO. If he was, then YES. He was called out because she locked her keys in her car.
Exactly.

Quick Reply: *A damsel in distress... please help!*