What head unit should I be looking at

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What head unit should I be looking at

First of all thanks for all the info I have been getting from this site. Just got my 06 F150 Supercrew and I am dying to get a nice head unit. I don't need navigation, but would love DVD and video for ipod.

I saw a couple posts that refer to d2 this and v45 that and I am just too darn new to this to understand all the lingo.

Please feel free to harass the new guy . . .

Old 04-14-2008, 04:10 PM
If you dont need Nav, you might want to check out the Pioneer AVH-P4000, Im hearing good things about it.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Well, most people are going to recommend Pioneer. I have owned Eclipse, Pioneer and Kenwood DVD units. I currently own a Jensen VM9022 and it is by far the best DVD/iPod unit I've owned. I had a Pioneer D3 previously and I like the Jensen a lot more. It's all the little touches that make the difference for me. I've seen the VM9022 in the low $400 range lately. The best part is there is a secret menu that allows you to bypass the parking brake. If you want to know more about why I like this unit better just send me a PM and I'll provide some further comparisons.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Can I play my ipod classic video through any of these? I often listen to video podcasts and would love to watch them in the truck (while turned off waiting for the bus to pickup my children of course)

Old 04-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Oh Lord, this is a loaded question if there ever was one! I'd recommend checking out local stores. Find 2-4 units you really like and then ask on here what PROBLEMS people have had with them. Otherwise you won't get a lot more than brand ****** pimping what they already have. Most of them with no experience with any unit other than what they're pimping.

Regardless of what you decide good luck! Oh, and you've come to the right place in general. I've tried about 5 F150 fan sites and this is by far, IMHO, the best for information and general fun.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by Justi
I've tried about 5 F150 fan sites and this is by far, IMHO, the best for information and general fun.
oh most definatly lol

Old 04-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Justi
Oh Lord, this is a loaded question if there ever was one! I'd recommend checking out local stores. Find 2-4 units you really like and then ask on here what PROBLEMS people have had with them. Otherwise you won't get a lot more than brand ****** pimping what they already have. Most of them with no experience with any unit other than what they're pimping.
Great point - I guess it can't hurt to ask

Trending Topics

Old 04-14-2008, 10:25 PM
I like the alpine HUs. I have one with the ipod connection and its nice.

The touch screens are nice too. My friend has one, and I almost wish I had gone with one of them.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:39 AM
I always had good luck with Kenwood. They are easy to use and control. Especially while driving.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by naplesbill
Well, most people are going to recommend Pioneer. I have owned Eclipse, Pioneer and Kenwood DVD units. I currently own a Jensen VM9022 and it is by far the best DVD/iPod unit I've owned. I had a Pioneer D3 previously and I like the Jensen a lot more. It's all the little touches that make the difference for me. I've seen the VM9022 in the low $400 range lately. The best part is there is a secret menu that allows you to bypass the parking brake. If you want to know more about why I like this unit better just send me a PM and I'll provide some further comparisons.
I agree with the choice on Jensen when choosing the head unit inputs and outputs and all the other bells and whistles this unit has (did not want nav. I plugged in 4 2000 w amps for sound highs 6x9 Alpines all doors and 6 in the bed along with 2 kicker subs in cab and 4 series 3 punch forgates in the bed with 2 4 farid capacitors I get power and big sound without distortion at top volume I am totally pleased with Jensen and it's given me no problems since installed jan 2007 payattention to high low freq try matching all system components for best results i would add a smiley but none here with headphones or sound notes ttl

Old 04-15-2008, 02:44 AM
Look I work with Junksen's all day. DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM AT ALL!

To the surprise of many Im not a fan of the Pioneers AVH. Hate the list within lists.

Eclipse is okay...

I like the Alpine W200 and W205.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:53 AM
Low-
You had a chance to play with the w505 yet?

Old 04-15-2008, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by Low_e_Red

To the surprise of many Im not a fan of the Pioneers AVH. Hate the list within lists.

Eclipse is okay...

Well, I'm sorry to hear you feel that way. This is the 3rd Jensen Multimedia HU I've had and I never had any trouble with any of them.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by naplesbill
Well, I'm sorry to hear you feel that way. This is the 3rd Jensen Multimedia HU I've had and I never had any trouble with any of them.
You were so happy with them you bought an Avic-D3 in between? Thank you for proving my point to the OP..

jahnke, seriously, look for people reporting problems about the units you're interested in, but brand ****** rule the blog world. It's nothing personal, people don't even realize they're doing it. But to put it into perspective it's the equivilant of going on the main board here and asking "Should I buy a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge pickup?"

There are endless choices at about every price point, and most of them are fine. It comes down to features and how you personally feel about the units. I was looking for green background lighting to match my truck. I went with a D3. Others may be looking for superior Sirius intergration, NOT the D3.

Pick the unit you want and then ask in here if anyone knows why you SHOULDN'T go with that unit. If most people's reply start with the phrase "I like XXX better" and not "The one I had had a problem with.." then you're golden..

Old 04-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by Low_e_Red

Eclipse is okay...

Thanks - can you be more specific on what is wrong with the Jensen's?

Quick Reply: What head unit should I be looking at