JVC KD-HDR1 - Installed - Pics - Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JVC KD-HDR1 - Installed - Pics - Review

Hi All,

So call me a skeptic, but I was afraid of this JVC stereo due to the name. I didn't like my last JVC audio product (home stereo) and I only bought this due to the extremely good value.

Well, it has won me over. So far, it's great. It has a 7-way equalizer that can use preset settings or user defined. It's got 3 RCA outputs that sound great and I haven't had them start clipping at all (as compared to my Panasonic which would clip pretty easily). Stereo reception is great...
I also got the SIRIUS tuner... my only downside there is only one-line display. I'd like to see title and artist without having to switch between.
I'll be headed to DFW this weekend and will try out HD radio there. I'll report on that later...

I installed with a Metra kit, which IMHO is MUCH better than the Schochse kit. That's what I had on my Panasonic. I used the ISO mounting brackets instead of the DIN sleeve because the DIN sleeve left it either too far back or made it stick out too much. Using the ISO brackets and the trim from the Metra kit instead of the stereo, it ends up looking flush and very nice.

Here are the pics:

The blue and red on the stereo match the climate control very well...

Let me know if you have any questions!

Old 06-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Is the SS Circle Surround Auto as good as advertised? I've heard nothing but good things from the guys at AVSForum.

Last edited by Charles F.; 06-07-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Charles F.
Is the SS Circle Surround Auto as good as advertised? I've heard nothing but good things from the guys at AVSForum.
So far, yes... it really brings the audio to life.

I'm waiting to do a complete setup until I get a sub cable in. Right now I've got 2 RCA cables going to my 4-channel amp and from that amp to my sub amp. With the new stereo, it has a dedicated Sub output that I ordered a knukonceptz cable for...

So, once i get my speakers set up and all, I'm sure it'll be even better.

Now, the downside... to get the true life of the speakers, you've got to use the SRS feature... the music is very flat without it...

Old 06-08-2007, 08:39 AM
Mounting Bracket

What brand is your mounting bracket?

Old 06-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by RiveraE512
What brand is your mounting bracket?
Metra... I believe...

I like it much better than the schochse... the pocket is much larger too...

Old 06-13-2007, 08:52 PM
Thanks

Yeah I think it looks very smooth and clean, by the way nice truck!

Old 06-17-2007, 12:26 AM
I just installed this same unit in my 96 F150. I purchased it for the same reasons you did, a great value. I actually got mine refurbished for $129. After about a week, I am still impressed. It sounds great. I added the sirius tuner and I have the same comlaint about the display. It is probably because I am used to the sportster replay display though. Happy so far.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:13 AM
very clean looking. Nice kit with the added pocket...great place to put your cell phone and other stuff that will rattle.

I miss my F150...seems that no matter what you put in them with the right fit kit they look great.

JP

Old 06-29-2007, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by ieee_raider
So far, yes... it really brings the audio to life.

I'm waiting to do a complete setup until I get a sub cable in. Right now I've got 2 RCA cables going to my 4-channel amp and from that amp to my sub amp. With the new stereo, it has a dedicated Sub output that I ordered a knukonceptz cable for...

So, once i get my speakers set up and all, I'm sure it'll be even better.

Now, the downside... to get the true life of the speakers, you've got to use the SRS feature... the music is very flat without it...
Whats the Number of the Dash Kit you used???

Old 06-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by iczar1
Whats the Number of the Dash Kit you used???
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-GLdNYbn...=120995807#Tab
I think it's Metra 99-5807

Old 07-04-2007, 05:37 AM
Do you have the 12 disc for it as well?

Originally Posted by ieee_raider
Hi All,

So call me a skeptic, but I was afraid of this JVC stereo due to the name. I didn't like my last JVC audio product (home stereo) and I only bought this due to the extremely good value.

Well, it has won me over. So far, it's great. It has a 7-way equalizer that can use preset settings or user defined. It's got 3 RCA outputs that sound great and I haven't had them start clipping at all (as compared to my Panasonic which would clip pretty easily). Stereo reception is great...
I also got the SIRIUS tuner... my only downside there is only one-line display. I'd like to see title and artist without having to switch between.
I'll be headed to DFW this weekend and will try out HD radio there. I'll report on that later...

I installed with a Metra kit, which IMHO is MUCH better than the Schochse kit. That's what I had on my Panasonic. I used the ISO mounting brackets instead of the DIN sleeve because the DIN sleeve left it either too far back or made it stick out too much. Using the ISO brackets and the trim from the Metra kit instead of the stereo, it ends up looking flush and very nice.

Here are the pics:

The blue and red on the stereo match the climate control very well...

Let me know if you have any questions!
I have the KDH-850(JVC) with Sirius and I love it. I have a 9 year old JVC 12 disc changer and it plugs right into the back of my new jvc unit which is why I got another JVC. Do you have the disc changer for yours as well? Will post pics of mine later.

Quick Reply: JVC KD-HDR1 - Installed - Pics - Review