Got new Eclipse CD5000 HU, need help with EQ

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 03:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got new Eclipse CD5000 HU, need help with EQ

This is my 1st high-quality aftermarket HU. I'm puzzled by the abundance of equalizer settings on this thing. It's making my head spin .

Obviously, I'm on the 'Advanced' setting (the 'normal' setting doesn't have the 7-band EQ). I want the best sounding system, so I want to learn what all the 7-band stuff is about, and how to properly adjust it to my liking.

So I need to know what all this means: the EQ is a 7-band EQ. Each band has several different frequencies (band 1=63Hz,80Hz,100hz... band 2=125Hz,160Hz,200Hz... band 3=250Hz,315Hz,400Hz,500Hz... and so on...)

First I have to select the band, then the frequency, then adjust the slope... What does all that mean? I'm used to the old-school 5-7 band EQ's that literally have 5 or 7 sliding switches. I'm confused about what the frequencies within each band are for. Do I adjust each frequency within each band? HELP!!!

Old 11-29-2006, 05:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Its basically the same as the sliding switches...You know how the sliders would have a frequency printed above them, which is the frequency they would adjust? Well, the 63, 80, 100 is just that, except you get to pick whitch frequency you want to adjust out of those. So for example, say you were using the old slider EQ and your lowest adjustment was 63 Hz, next was 125 Hz, and so on... Now say you want to EQ up right around 80 hz, to match everything else. You would have to slide the 63 hz slider up, in return boosting the 63 Hz are even more-but you didnt want to do that-tough. With the EQ on this deck, you can switch it to the 80 hz setting and boost it right there...and dont have to boost it in the center 63 hz area which doesnt need it. Just a more precise way of EQing your system. Did I make that clear as mud?

After you pick that, you can pick the level. If its overpowering, tone it down, if that frequency region needs a little pickup, then set the level up a little.

The Q affects the range of frequencys from the center frequency you picked. On my Eclipse there are 3 Q option-narrow, wide, and normal. If you select narrow, it will only affect a small amount of frequencies above and below the center frequency you chose. If you select wide, it will affect a broader range of frequencys above and below your center frequency.

Hopefully I didnt confuse you more. If you need anything else just let me know...I can draw a picture if you need further explanation Im better at explaining things with pictures than I am with words

Last edited by Bartak1; 11-29-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by Bartak1
Its basically the same as the sliding switches...You know how the sliders would have a frequency printed above them, which is the frequency they would adjust? Well, the 63, 80, 100 is just that, except you get to pick whitch frequency you want to adjust out of those. So for example, say you were using the old slider EQ and your lowest adjustment was 63 Hz, next was 125 Hz, and so on... Now say you want to EQ up right around 80 hz, to match everything else. You would have to slide the 63 hz slider up, in return boosting the 63 Hz are even more-but you didnt want to do that-tough. With the EQ on this deck, you can switch it to the 80 hz setting and boost it right there...and dont have to boost it in the center 63 hz area which doesnt need it. Just a more precise way of EQing your system. Did I make that clear as mud?

After you pick that, you can pick the level. If its overpowering, tone it down, if that frequency region needs a little pickup, then set the level up a little.

The Q affects the range of frequencys from the center frequency you picked. On my Eclipse there are 3 Q option-narrow, wide, and normal. If you select narrow, it will only affect a small amount of frequencies above and below the center frequency you chose. If you select wide, it will affect a broader range of frequencys above and below your center frequency.

Hopefully I didnt confuse you more. If you need anything else just let me know...I can draw a picture if you need further explanation Im better at explaining things with pictures than I am with words
Thanks for the info. It's a little clearer now. But a picture would be great! I too learn better with pictures vs words.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:15 PM
Alrighty, hopefully this will help

First off, you will see alond the thick black horozontal line I have a 63 Hz mark, an 80 Hz mark, and a 100 Hz mark. These represent the frequencies you can select in each band (called the Center Frequency). This picture most likely represents your first band.

You can see the 'center' (get it, center frequency) of the arcs are directley above the 80 Hz mark. This is how it would be if you had band one set on 80 Hz. Now, if you were to switch it to 63 Hz, the arcs would simple "slide over", and the center of the arcs would be above the 63 Hz mark. The bottom right side of the arc will NOT stay in the same place, and stretch the left side way over, instead the whole arc will just move over.

Second, the big thick horozontal line is the 'base' level line. From there on you can see there are thinner horozontal lines, each of of these represents a level. There are positive ones (above the base line) and negative ones (below the base line).

In this picture, the level is set at 5 (I dont think they are numbered on your HU, I just numbered them for reference/ease of i.id.) You can see the top of the arc is at teh 5 mark. If you had the level at 3, then the top of the arc would be at the 3 line. If you set the level at -2, then the arc would go down (dish shape) and would be on the -2 line.

Note-On MY HU, it shows little arcs like these in the EQ setting, Ive seen some Eclipses that just have little bars ( - <like that) that move up and down. Whereever that bar is represents the top of the arc. Im not sure how yours is so I just though I would bring that up)

Lastly, your will see there are three different arcs of varying width (the red, yellow, and blue arcs)
The red arc represents the "wide" Q setting, the yellow arc represents the "normal" Q setting, and the blue represents the "normal"

The narrower the arcs base, the less frequencies there are that are affected when you adjust the level. So in this picture, lets use the blue arc (the 'narrow Q' setting on the cd player). You can see that it only goes a little to the left, and a little to the right, of the 80 hz mark-ranges from lets say, 73 to 87 Hz. THESE are the frequencies that are affected by the level setting. The frequencies are affected in an 'arc' type pattern. 73 Hz would hardly be affected at all, 75 would be boosted up a little more, 78 hz even a little more, then 80 hz the most, then 82 hz, affected some, 85 hz a little less, 87 hz bareley affected at all.

IF you were to switch it to the 'Normal Q' setting you can see taht the base of the arc is wider, affecting more frequencies. In this picture the Normal setting affects frequencies in the 67 to 95 hz (roughly) area.

And on the 'Wide Q' setting, even more frequencies are affected, in the range of 50 to 110 hz in this picture.

One last thing. As the LEVEL decreases, the base of the arc (the Q's range) will shrink. So now say you you only have the level on 1, with the Q on WIDE. A smaller amount of frequencies would be affected, somewhere in the range of say 70 to 90 hz.
One the level goes negative, the arcs base will start to get WIDER every time the level is brought down in the negative area.

Get it?

Old 11-30-2006, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by Bartak1
Alrighty, hopefully this will help

First off, you will see alond the thick black horozontal line I have a 63 Hz mark, an 80 Hz mark, and a 100 Hz mark. These represent the frequencies you can select in each band (called the Center Frequency). This picture most likely represents your first band.

You can see the 'center' (get it, center frequency) of the arcs are directley above the 80 Hz mark. This is how it would be if you had band one set on 80 Hz. Now, if you were to switch it to 63 Hz, the arcs would simple "slide over", and the center of the arcs would be above the 63 Hz mark. The bottom right side of the arc will NOT stay in the same place, and stretch the left side way over, instead the whole arc will just move over.

Second, the big thick horozontal line is the 'base' level line. From there on you can see there are thinner horozontal lines, each of of these represents a level. There are positive ones (above the base line) and negative ones (below the base line).

In this picture, the level is set at 5 (I dont think they are numbered on your HU, I just numbered them for reference/ease of i.id.) You can see the top of the arc is at teh 5 mark. If you had the level at 3, then the top of the arc would be at the 3 line. If you set the level at -2, then the arc would go down (dish shape) and would be on the -2 line.

Note-On MY HU, it shows little arcs like these in the EQ setting, Ive seen some Eclipses that just have little bars ( - <like that) that move up and down. Whereever that bar is represents the top of the arc. Im not sure how yours is so I just though I would bring that up)

Lastly, your will see there are three different arcs of varying width (the red, yellow, and blue arcs)
The red arc represents the "wide" Q setting, the yellow arc represents the "normal" Q setting, and the blue represents the "normal"

The narrower the arcs base, the less frequencies there are that are affected when you adjust the level. So in this picture, lets use the blue arc (the 'narrow Q' setting on the cd player). You can see that it only goes a little to the left, and a little to the right, of the 80 hz mark-ranges from lets say, 73 to 87 Hz. THESE are the frequencies that are affected by the level setting. The frequencies are affected in an 'arc' type pattern. 73 Hz would hardly be affected at all, 75 would be boosted up a little more, 78 hz even a little more, then 80 hz the most, then 82 hz, affected some, 85 hz a little less, 87 hz bareley affected at all.

IF you were to switch it to the 'Normal Q' setting you can see taht the base of the arc is wider, affecting more frequencies. In this picture the Normal setting affects frequencies in the 67 to 95 hz (roughly) area.

And on the 'Wide Q' setting, even more frequencies are affected, in the range of 50 to 110 hz in this picture.

One last thing. As the LEVEL decreases, the base of the arc (the Q's range) will shrink. So now say you you only have the level on 1, with the Q on WIDE. A smaller amount of frequencies would be affected, somewhere in the range of say 70 to 90 hz.
One the level goes negative, the arcs base will start to get WIDER every time the level is brought down in the negative area.

Get it?
Hey Bartak, that picture is awesome. It helps alot, and certainly makes things much clearer for me. Looks like, with this added info, I need to spend some time in my truck playing around with the settings, to see what sounds best to me.

So just to clarify, I should only adjust ONE frequency with each of the 7 bands, correct? And that one frequency would be the one that I want emphasized, right?

Old 12-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by bamorris2
Hey Bartak, that picture is awesome. It helps alot, and certainly makes things much clearer for me. Looks like, with this added info, I need to spend some time in my truck playing around with the settings, to see what sounds best to me.

So just to clarify, I should only adjust ONE frequency with each of the 7 bands, correct? And that one frequency would be the one that I want emphasized, right?
Thank you

Your CD player only lets you choose one center frequency in each band, so yes, you can only adjust one of the frequencies in each band.
And your are correct on the second part too, the frequency you choose in each band is the one that you would want emphasized most.

Good luck with tuning, If you need anything else Id be glad to help

Quick Reply: Got new Eclipse CD5000 HU, need help with EQ