first step to remove dash radio cover?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first step to remove dash radio cover?

just bought a factory sub for my 06 F-150.. found wiring harness under rear seat. plugged sub in and nothing happened.. heard harness may not be plugged into head unit. I'm going to pull out head unit and check but don't want to break face plate. never really looked at it yet but I would like a little heads up if possible.... thanks

Old 02-23-2006, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by 50mustangs
just bought a factory sub for my 06 F-150.. found wiring harness under rear seat. plugged sub in and nothing happened.. heard harness may not be plugged into head unit. I'm going to pull out head unit and check but don't want to break face plate. never really looked at it yet but I would like a little heads up if possible.... thanks

Hi, I just took mine off today, and I found that the easiest was was to start at the top and work your way down. I used one of those pain can opener toosl to pry it forward, and then pulled straight out. There is a great explanation on this site done bu ScottFcasni (https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...readid=133164). It's awesome, but I found it much easier to start at the top rather than the bottom. The cover is very strong. It seems like it's going to break, but it doesn't.

Old 02-24-2006, 01:00 AM
I always start from the bottom and work my up the panel. No problems by doing it this way.

Old 02-24-2006, 06:57 AM
I've done it from both directions, but I also have used a putty knife with a shop towel or shop rag wrapped around it to keep from marring the dash.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:11 AM
As long as you pull straight out and give it a little elbow grease....you won't have any problems.

Old 02-24-2006, 02:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 50mustangs

Hey, Can you post a pic of that harness? In particular,the shielded wires? I have to make that harness, and need to see the shielded wires, thanks!

Quick Reply: first step to remove dash radio cover?