Kenwood DPX-301...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just installed KPX-301 in my 06 Scab and have been pleasantly surprised. Very strong amp for the listed 22 watts RMS. I'm amazed how it drive my budget KFC-6880ie speakers. The stock AM/FM radio did them no justice. I also install a HD radio tuner. Everything works well for a low cost system. CD playback is excellent and the HD tuner really works well. The install went well and the HD tuner fits right under the HU. This was about the easiest rig I've ever installed a system in.

Old 04-23-2006, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by r100gs
I just installed KPX-301 in my 06 Scab and have been pleasantly surprised. Very strong amp for the listed 22 watts RMS. I'm amazed how it drive my budget KFC-6880ie speakers. The stock AM/FM radio did them no justice. I also install a HD radio tuner. Everything works well for a low cost system. CD playback is excellent and the HD tuner really works well. The install went well and the HD tuner fits right under the HU. This was about the easiest rig I've ever installed a system in.
I'm glad to hear this. I placed an order for the DPX501, along with a Ford wiring harness and F150 install kit.

Do you have any pics of the unit installed?

Old 04-24-2006, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by PenguinFX4
I'm glad to hear this. I placed an order for the DPX501, along with a Ford wiring harness and F150 install kit.

Do you have any pics of the unit installed?
No, but do a search, someone has some photos of that unit installed on this site.

Old 04-24-2006, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by r100gs
No, but do a search, someone has some photos of that unit installed on this site.
I've seen those pictures. I wanted to gain some additional perspective by seeing a different color/style interior.

The photo in the other thread included a flat black bezel. F150s come with various trim styles...

Old 05-22-2006, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by KStateFan
Crutchfield just made the DPX-501 available yesterday. It should be at my door in a couple of days. According to their customer service rep, the 701 should be available soon, but who knows what that means? I don't really care about a fancier display or the ability to tell me how many G's I'm pulling around a corner. That's all just fluff. The 501 has the main things I wanted... A double-DIN unit, a USB input in the front of the unit, and the ability to play MP3s. Honestly, I think the standard display looks more like a fancy "stock" unit. I don't need wallpaper -- everything I'm looking at is through the windshield or in the rearview! I'll try to post pics when it's installed! I'll see how it sounds with the stock (non-Audiophile) speakers, and then decide what comes next.

any pics yet??? how do you like the radio?

Old 05-22-2006, 11:00 AM
Sorry for the delay

Hey, sorry I haven't gotten around to posting a pic yet. I got the unit installed easily with the wiring harness from Crutchfield. I know a lot of people have taken shots at the way this unit looks, but I think it came out a helluva lot better than trying to put a 1 DIN unit in with a gap under it. The unit fills out the space, more or less, and the blue glow looks awesome at night without being so bright it lights up the cab. In fact, it has options that allow you to turn off the glow, as well as the display, if you like to dim your dash while on the highway at night (I know I do).

The USB feature is simply awesome. If you get this unit, make sure you pay attention to WHICH flash drive you get. I went through three before I found a compatible one. The Kenwood web site is posting the kinds that have been proven to work. Mine are the SanDisk Micro WITHOUT the "U3 technology". U3 has a partition in the drive that the head unit can't read. Now, I have 4 gigs of MP3s in my armrest ready for a road trip of any length. I'll get some pictures up here very soon (day and night), along with a quick evaluation of the unit.

Old 05-22-2006, 01:29 PM
Hey, sorry I haven't gotten around to posting a pic yet. I got the unit installed easily with the wiring harness from Crutchfield. I know a lot of people have taken shots at the way this unit looks, but I think it came out a helluva lot better than trying to put a 1 DIN unit in with a gap under it. The unit fills out the space, more or less, and the blue glow looks awesome at night without being so bright it lights up the cab. In fact, it has options that allow you to turn off the glow, as well as the display, if you like to dim your dash while on the highway at night (I know I do).

The USB feature is simply awesome. If you get this unit, make sure you pay attention to WHICH flash drive you get. I went through three before I found a compatible one. The Kenwood web site is posting the kinds that have been proven to work. Mine are the SanDisk Micro WITHOUT the "U3 technology". U3 has a partition in the drive that the head unit can't read. Now, I have 4 gigs of MP3s in my armrest ready for a road trip of any length. I'll get some pictures up here very soon (day and night), along with a quick evaluation of the unit.
I just installed the 501 a couple of days ago. I couldn't beleive the difference between the 2 head units. Even with only the stock speakers. I am really happy with this purchase. I must have bought the right flash drive because it worked right away. I was getting really tired of my factory head unit skipping all of the time.

Old 05-22-2006, 01:44 PM
does anyone think that these radios would be a great theft risk. im avoiding getting the touch screen multimedia radios because of the theft risk. i know these are not as expensive or as in demand as the multimedia/navigation radios but i still think that the theft risk is pretty high. i really want a double din radio but dont want the the hassle of it being stolen. i might just stick to a single din with detachable face...

Old 05-23-2006, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by one028
does anyone think that these radios would be a great theft risk. im avoiding getting the touch screen multimedia radios because of the theft risk. i know these are not as expensive or as in demand as the multimedia/navigation radios but i still think that the theft risk is pretty high. i really want a double din radio but dont want the the hassle of it being stolen. i might just stick to a single din with detachable face...
They do have a security code option that you can apply after you get your radio. I have to read more about it since I have only had the radio for a couple days, but to me it is worthless. They basically can steal the radio and when they try to use it, they will need a code (the one you programed to the radio) to get it to work. I don't see how this prevents it from being stolen, just never used again after its stolen.

Old 05-23-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by one028
If you think about it. Any radio install that requires you to simply pull lightly on a trim plate to gain access is GOING to be a theft risk.

It's all about availability and ease... They would steal a friggin Pyramid if the opportunity was simple enough!

Old 05-23-2006, 10:08 AM
I've got pics, but you may have to wait a few hours.

I've got pics of the DPX-501 (day and night), but it appears I will have to post them on a web site to copy them into this forum? I've got a web page, but I can't upload the pictures until I get home tonight. Is there a way to paste an image into a post without first uploading it to a web page?

As far as the security code goes... the only good thing about it is that you know whoever stole your radio isn't enjoying it. You still have to get a new one. Luckily, I've never had trouble with that.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:31 AM
Nevermind -- Here are the pics

I answered my own question, and here are the pics...

The night picture makes the display look too bright, but it's only because the image was a long exposure.

Old 05-23-2006, 06:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's a sharp unit! I have been eyeing these for some time, and I think the installed pics have made my choice clearer.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:45 AM
Does the factory SIRIUS plug right in?

I answered my own question, and here are the pics...
Does the factory SIRIUS unit plug right in? Or is there a seperate adaptor plug or something?

I'm hoping that it is "plug and play" from the factory plug...

Please advise on this! Thanks!

Old 05-25-2006, 12:43 AM
Can anyone help with that last question? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Kenwood DPX-301...