New Head Unit installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 06:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Head Unit installed

I just installed the Kenwood MP5028 head unit in my 04 Screw and it sounds great. The only problem is that when i crank it up, the sound cuts out, (intermittently). I used the harness from crutchfield and doublechecked the crimped fittings. Do you think it is the head unit or one of the connections? It sounds like it is cutting the sound to all of my speakers. I would think it would be the main power connection by this logic. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 02-17-2005, 09:10 AM
Nevermind, i isolated it to one of my right front components. The conection must not be very good. What is the best way to connect speaker wire? They currently are crimped but i am think about using wire nuts.

Old 02-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Lightbulb

The best way to know is by if you have a bad ground on the speakers, also sometimes using the factory speakers and having a aftermarket speaker does not work well when using it on high volumes. so if i was u i would change all four speakers 5x7" with some polk dbs, and then it will inhance your sound quality that you are looking for, or ad an foru channel amp.

Old 02-17-2005, 11:59 AM
Before you go buy extra speakers, and an amp(as recommended)... Why don't you stick with the crimping technique. Wire nuts are good for home wiring but NOT auto. Wire nuts are best used for "non stranded wire" They just damage the stranded stuff too easily and make a loose connection.

Old 02-17-2005, 12:17 PM
I crimped the headunit but did not do the speakers (a friend did those). I was planning on going through his wiring anyway....

Old 02-17-2005, 12:50 PM
I always solder and heat shrink my connections. It takes a bit longer but they don't come apart and the connection is as solid as it gets. Taking the time to do it right the first time always saves time in the long run, and a poor install can make a high dollar system sound like flea market componets.

Old 02-17-2005, 12:55 PM
what connectors do you use to solder? I looked at the crutchfield video and it looked like they just butted the two wires next to each other and soldered them together. That doesnt seem to me to be a good way to do it, but what do i know.... The heat shrink must give it is strength too.

Trending Topics

Old 02-17-2005, 04:03 PM
Place the wires to be soldered side by side and solder.
The heat shrink is just to cover the connetion so it will not short out.
Hope this helps.

Old 02-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Butt connectors properly installed can last years.

Old 02-17-2005, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by h8louzn
Place the wires to be soldered side by side and solder.
The heat shrink is just to cover the connetion so it will not short out.
Hope this helps.
Just what he said. Think of it as welding the two ends together....its stronger at the "weld" in most cases than the wire is.

Quick Reply: New Head Unit installed