Harley-Davidson

Billet Ford Emblem

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Billet Ford Emblem

Have any of you replaced the blue plastic Ford emblem on your HD tailgate with a billet Ford emblem? I purchased one that is black and took the cheap plastic emblem off. The black billet is exactly the same size and perfectly matches the HD logo emblem on the tailgate. It's made by TM Machine Products and can be purchased on the web or at many truck mod shops (where I got mine). If you purchase one, make sure you get the 5 1/4" one for the tailgate as it's an exact size match. Also be EXTREMELY careful taking the old one off and don't dent the tailgate. It's held on with a thin double sided but strong tape. Keep in mind the 7 1/4" billet emblem will not fit the front grille on the 02HD. I discussed with TM Machine and they agreed to try and make an exact replacement for the front soon. I told them there would be a market for them (black) as they would match all the HD emblems on the truck. It would also look good on a black F-150, 250, etc. Just thought some of you may be interested.

Old 08-08-2002, 11:28 PM
I've been wanting to get one, but they are kinda pricey for me. I'd really like to get an emblem of the ford/harley alliance logo for a replacement tailgate emblem. Wish somebody made one

post pics!

Old 08-09-2002, 02:21 PM
Question

I have never removed an emblem before, what do you think is the best approach ?(I really don't want to 'F-up' my paint or dent the tailgate and grille)

Old 08-09-2002, 02:39 PM
The emblem on the 02HD tailgate is held by thin double sided tape which is very strong. I suggest using a thin blade screwdriver to slowly work the emblem loose. Cover the blade with a cloth. Mine came loose at the top first and I worked from there. Do not apply too much pressure and use a small block of wood (suggest 2"X4" by 1/2" thick) wrapped in soft cloth to pry against. This spreads the pressure out over a larger area of the tailgate and should prevent denting or scratching. Take your time. After removal, cover the back of the new emblem with a good thin double sided tape and trim excess off. Don't run the tape all the way to the edge of the back of the emblem or you may see it behind the emblem after installation. Mine came loose at the top after a few minutes of slowly working around the edges with no dents, nicks, or scratches. There are two guideholes in the tailgate behind the emblem. The factory emblem has two pins that protrude through the guideholes and serve only to line the emblem up in the correct spot. They don't hold the emblem on so don't worry if you see them. Hope this helps. By the way, don't worry about the grille yet as they haven't made an emblem that is a direct replacement yet. I will be talking to TM Machine the first week in September to check the status. The front grille emblem is held by pins and not tape so it will be a different process.

Old 08-09-2002, 03:30 PM
Where did you get the tape? -and- Is there a need to clean the old adhesive off before attaching the new emblem? What would be the best way to remove the old adhesive?

AND Thanks for all your help!

Old 08-09-2002, 04:52 PM
I safest way to remove your emblem:
Heat emblem with a blow dryer and use either fishing line or dental floss to cut through the double sided tape. Once you have it started the emblem will came off with your fingers pulling the emblem away from your tailgate. You can then remove the residue from the double sided tape with WD 40 or wax and grease remover. It will not hurt your paint. You can get 3M double sided tape at the auto parts store.

Old 08-09-2002, 04:54 PM
I'd also recomend parking it so the butt faces the HOT sun on a 90+ degree day for a couple hours... also a hair drier works nicely too!

/tg

Quick Reply: Billet Ford Emblem