Harley-Davidson

2005 lightning info - twin chargers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 lightning info - twin chargers?

I just came from the grocery store. I picked up a truck magazine, super truck i think, that had a picture of the 2004 F-150. In the blurb it mentioned a twin supercharged 5.4 triton slated for the lightning in 2005. Has anyone heard of this?

Ken

Old 07-12-2002, 01:12 AM
I haven't...but i only hear what goes on in these forums...sounds interesting --- but ford is going to need a new tranny unless they can use one from the F-650 Cruizer That would be sweet. 4WD maybe??? he he - i wish. Oh yeah...I forgot - and Formula Paddle shifters And a stock nitrous system (just in case) And then think about what a pulley swap would do...AWESOME!!!

On a serious note...wouldn't this greatly inflate price and deter SEVERAL buyers

Old 07-12-2002, 10:09 AM
I think they just put this out to throw people off. Its total BS!!!! There's no friggin way that they are gonna twin s/c and engine. Its just not as efficient as beefing up other stufff, 3 valves per head, and using a single bigger s/c. Its all over the L boards guys. Check it out. Most likely the next gen L will have 3 valves per head, single s/c, and like 450 hp. That seems to be the majority vote over in the L forum.

Old 07-12-2002, 10:42 PM
I agree...this idea is much more probable than the twin s/c

Old 07-12-2002, 10:56 PM
that little blurb mentioned four things: an f150 with a front end that looks a lot like the tonka f250, a v6 diesel, twin supercharged 5.4l and a 6speed automatic tranny to accomodate the hp...

2 of the 4 are right on the money...

Ken

Old 07-12-2002, 11:03 PM
New L & HD Ideas

2005 L & HD?
Twin superchargers - are they crazy? I can see the advantage to twin turbos, but if AA Fuel cars can deal with one supercharger, I'm sure the 2005 L can also. There is no advantage to twin S/C, only disadvantages. No way on that. Who writes that stuff?

As far as HP / TQ numbers, I think bfb is close. They might tune it closer to 450 HP and a little more that 500 TQ to keep the Ram Viper at bay. My prediction is a 5.4L bottom end with three-valve heads. This will keep all the BIG torque and provide a little more top end HP. They could go with a detonation sensor system to get a little more agressive on the timing and boost. With the 8.5 compression ratio, they should be able to run close to 15 psi boost on 93 octane fuel, if they have a detonation sensor to pull out timing on hot days or with bad fuel.

I also predict they will bring in the new 5-speed automatic tranny slated for the new 6 liter diesel motor. It's good for over 500 TQ. This would help if they geared it right.

Along with the bigger HP / TQ, an upgrade to the rear suspension would be a logical step forward. I don't think IRS is a good idea based on the Cobra drag racing experience, but something like the Buick GNX ladder bar setup would work pretty good.

So much for the crystal ball. We'll see what happens.

Old 07-12-2002, 11:11 PM
What???

Are you sure you were reading about the Ford Tonka truck. It should be available next year. It has a bunch of cool sh it on it but I dont think twin turbo. I could be wrong though. I have pics in my gallery of this truck.

Trending Topics

Old 07-13-2002, 12:56 AM
The F-350 Tonka Truck uses a 6.0-liter Power Stroke Super-600 V8 turbocharged diesel engine, which cranks out 350 horsepower and a staggering 600 pound-feet of torque. This power is applied through Ford's five-speed PowerTorq automatic tranny.

The concept's powertrain also features Hydraulic Launch Assist (HLA); this system, which is still in development, improves fuel economy in large trucks by 25 to 35 percent by recovering energy typically lost during deceleration, storing it as hydraulic pressure and reusing it during acceleration. The truck boasts a state-of-the-art suspension; air springs take the place of traditional rear leaf and front coil springs, and allow the vehicle to lower 5 inches once the truck's doors are opened (Like '03 Navigator)

In simpler terms: This truck is one bad *** monster!

(I don't like those taillights)

Old 07-13-2002, 01:57 AM
Gotta get one of those bad boys

Quick Reply: 2005 lightning info - twin chargers?