Harley-Davidson

HD Tail Gate Emblem

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool HD Tail Gate Emblem

Just purchased the tail gate emblem for my 2000 HD P/N 1L3Z-8442528-AA $111.70 and wasn't asked for a VIN!
It looks just like the fender emblem? Is the P/N correct and how is this thing held on? Will the 2 posts on the back fit in the same holes as the origional, and how do you get the old one off without screwing up the paint?

Old 06-05-2002, 09:34 PM
I ordered one from my dealer (he got it for me for 1/2 price - 60 bucks!!!) and i still haven't put it on. I ordered one from the 01 though cuz it was specifically for the tailgate, so i know the holes will line up. It just sticks on with the sticky tape on the back. I had to use the dealers vin cuz he had the 01 that i got the tailgate badge from. THey wouldn't let me use my vin off my 00 cuz it didn't come with a logo on the tgate. Did you order it online so that you didn't need a vin????

Old 06-05-2002, 10:02 PM
You can use a plastic spreader (like the one's that come with a can of bondo, use some heat, & some bug & tar remover. The pins
line up the same as the F150 logo. I almost removed the pins with my dremel.

Old 06-05-2002, 10:18 PM

This is supposed to be a tail gate emblem for a 2001! so if any one can verify that P/N I would like to know and I didn't order it online, I just went to a Ford dealership and asked for it.

Old 06-06-2002, 02:59 PM
FXSTC97, the 01's came stock with the tailgate emblem, so i ordered one from a 01 specifically for the tailgate. Other guys have used a fender badge for it and it has worked, i think there's only a very slight difference in the curve or something. It should work though. You can also use fishing line to get the old badge off. The reason that they didn't ask you for a vin was probably it already came up on the computer that you owned a HD when he ordered it for you.

Old 06-06-2002, 04:00 PM
yes that is the correct # for a 01 HD tailgate. Ford retail is $129.00 & wholesale is $100.62.

BTW- I have always wondered why you guys have to supply a HD vin# when you order parts for your Ford Dealer. I have always been able to order any part # I want from Ford, no questions asked & do what ever I want with them.

& I'm the parts mgr @ a dealer

Old 06-06-2002, 04:17 PM
summitman, i dunno why that is. The dealer is supposed to get your vin number so they can verify you have a HD, cuz ford doesn't want a bunch of fake HD's runnin around out there. Maybe they are starting to slack off. There's already enough HD's runnin around out there, don't need any fakes to go with the myriad of real HD's.

Trending Topics

Old 06-06-2002, 05:04 PM
It has to be the dealer that are asking for the vin, because Ford dosn't require one to order replacemant parts. I tryed it. They only require a vin if your special ordering warrany parts.

Old 06-07-2002, 03:04 PM
huh, thats weird. All the people i hear from say that they needed a vin if they ordered a HD thing. Maybe if it shows up that you own a HD you don't need to give a vin to get a HD part. I dunno

Old 06-07-2002, 04:31 PM
I don't know eather, but thats weird & wide stuff.

Old 06-08-2002, 11:18 AM
Smile harley stuff

I was not told at the dealer i bought my 2002 Hd that you get some stuff with it,also iwould like to get a hard cover for it Any sug?

Old 06-08-2002, 12:11 PM
Towboatz, welcome to the site. Post some pics of your HD and the build number when you get a chance

As for getting stuff with the HD, the dealer usually doesn't know cuz it comes from ford motor company and not through the dealer. WHen i got my plaque and keychain it was a total suprise. If you have a 02 you should be getting a knife and plaque in a leather gift box. If you wanna know what they look like go to the user galleries and look under "outnumbered" for pics of his. He's the only one on here so far that got the goodies with the 02 so far i believe.

Anyway for a cover, alot of guys with the 02's have either gotten an ARE lid (bump in the middle) a Leer (bump that goes all the way down, but they dont' cover the bedrails all the way anymore unless you find an earlier made one) or a ******* (smooth with no bump) I personally like the Leers that cover the bedrails, and then the ARE with the spoiler wing on the back, but they all look awsome. Goodluck and congrats

Old 06-08-2002, 12:32 PM
Goodies, etc.

I received my box of HD 'goodies' yesterday, although I haven't opened it yet. I wouldn't have known about it if Out#d hadn't mentioned it. I've had my '02 for a couple of months, so I guess that's the cycle time on getting the 'goodies'.

As for bed covers go, I installed the Bedrug and a Snugtop lid. Both are great additions. I got the Snugtop with the carpet on the inside, so it matches the Bedrug. Most people say it makes the bed too nice to haul stuff. Ha!! This week I used the truck to haul landscape timbers, bags of mulch, top soil, manure, sand, plus some good Missouri clay I dug out of my wifes rose plant flower boxes. Oh yeah, I haulled some a$$ also. Ha! Anyway, there are a lot of good products out there for the bed. Good luck.

BTW, I told a friend in VA about my HD and he ended up buying one yesterday. He said the dealer had 4 HD's on the lot Friday morning, and only one left Friday night. Have a good weekend.

Quick Reply: HD Tail Gate Emblem