Harley-Davidson

2002 Hd's Not Selling?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Hd's Not Selling?

I have been to a few dealers & they have not sold their 02 HD"S.
(they have been sitting for 3 weeks to a month now) Is the price of 38G too much? Is the economy leveling out?
Are they making too many? I think they should have kept production low like the 00 model. IMO they should go back to the super cab next year.

Old 06-04-2002, 09:41 PM
Here @ Galpin Ford they dont have a single one on the lot.

Old 06-04-2002, 10:23 PM
The economy has pretty much been in the tank since last summer. If not for low mortgage rates driving new home sales, we'd be in a world of trouble. I think what you are seeing as far as these trucks on the lots are dealers that are not dealing. They are waiting on Daddy Warbucks to come in with bills hanging out of his shirt pocket. The dealer I got my '02 from has sold about 8-9 of them, every one he could get his hands on. IMO, Ford is doing the right thing by changing up the body config of the HD. I think they are targeting people that need more interior room than a supercab offers while giving them "lightning like" performance.

Old 06-04-2002, 11:49 PM
Cool Glad I own a '00

It seem to me, that even though the '02 is supercharged their appearance seems to be nothing out of the ordinary. Don't get me wrong, but compared to the '00 & '01 they don't seem to be outstandish like the previous years. I've only seen one in my town (Gray) and to me the grill isn't as eye catching, the leather interior isn't out of the ordinary, and the flames should be a flame color (like orange or bright red) to keep with the Harley colors. I haven't seen an '02 black one yet. Just my opinion, don't be offended. I'm glad I own a supercab.

Old 06-05-2002, 12:33 AM
It seems you are right about them not selling well. I started looking at the 02's a couple of months ago. At that time Houston area dealers were dead serious about getting sticker, or sticker +. I laughed at them, but got concerned that maybe I was wrong, and they would all be gone soon.
In the past month every dealer I have been to has 5-7 trucks on the lot. I haven't really beat on them yet, but so far I have been offered 4500 off of sticker over the internet. They are starting to deal...

mvreinha- I assume you haven't seen a black 02 with the orange flames on it. The shadow gray with maroon flames is rather subtle. The black truck is not. It's just my opinion, but the black 02 S-crew HD is the ONLY reason I am looking at Ford trucks...

Old 06-05-2002, 12:37 AM
It doesn't seem like they are selling at all. There's 3 dealers around Austin here that have at least 10 each. I considered buying one instead of a Lightning since I could buy the HD on X plan, they are anxious to move these trucks with so many of them sitting around, but they wouldn't come off MSRP on a L. But in the end I just had to have the L.

BTW on that note, if anyone was ever curious about X plan or A plan pricing, you can check this at these links below. It's quite a savings when you get the vehicle price up to where the HD trucks are. You'll probably need to refresh your browser when switching beteen the 2 links.

KD

http://www2.forddirect.fordvehicles....RL=FordPartner

http://www2.forddirect.fordvehicles....RL=FordPartner

Old 06-05-2002, 07:41 AM
Does anyone know how many Ford is manufacturing?
I seriously think they are making too many. I know when I purchased my 00 they said about 8,000 were manufactured. (I thought that was too many)
I know Ford wants to make money, but owners should
have a truck that is exclusive & we can make some money
when we go to sell it.

Trending Topics

Old 06-05-2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by rhdf150
Does anyone know how many Ford is manufacturing?
I seriously think they are making too many.
If I'm not mistaken, they had proposed making 12k 02's. From what I have heard, I don't think it will be anywhere near that. If they bogg down in sales, I'm sure Ford will cut back.
It could be worse though. They could be stuck with 8-10 Blackwoods on their lot. Those are nice trucks, but the price

Blackwood=54k= OUCH!

Old 06-05-2002, 01:26 PM
Funny... seems my dealer is selling every one he can get. Could have something to do with the $300 over invoice deal he will give .

Old 06-05-2002, 05:21 PM
BigIke you said that ford's targeting people that need more interior room than a supercab??? Actually the supercab has more room than the HD screw does. The screws can only seat 4, Ford should offer a bench seat option. The 00's have a bench in the back, and i'm 6 ft 1". and can sit back there fine. I even had 6 adults in the truck once to go out to dinner. (yeah the 4 in back were on the skinny side, but still fit fine for the 20 minute trip). The screw only actually has 6 more inches of leg room and a foot shorter bed. IMO the supercab is alot more functional, and has a little more styling with the flareside bed and factory tonneau. But don't get me wrong, i love all the HD's and wanna have one of each someday , but each year has perks over the other.
I agree wtih mvreinha that the screws aren't as flashy. They are all awsome, but i think that the chrome upper AND lower grille on the 00, flareside bed, factory tonneau, and shorter cab stands out a little more in the crowd.
rhdf150, i heard that they were making 12K 02's also, but i heard a few weeks ago from showya that they just made HD number 11K something, and they may be going up to 14K.!!! Thats entirely too many IMO. that's almost double the 00's made.!! They shouldn't make too many of these trucks, just look at the amount that this site grew since the 02's came out (nothing against you guys, you have awsome trucks and all) but it just shows ya how many are already out there and more to come. COME ON FORD, don't overkill the HD's, i like it when people are like "i didn't know harley made trucks" cuz they have never seen one.

Old 06-05-2002, 07:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep pumping out the 2002 cause its only going to make my 2000 more valuable. There was a post about Ford keeping the production low so that when the customer go'es to trade or sell, it will be more valuable, Ford dont care about that, they only care about what they make as a company for there share holders and them selfs. they have no interest in keeping your value hi so you make a profit selling. Ford only cares about there Profit.
Looks like Ford wins again. They made a frensy with the 2000 cause it was limited production. Then fooled the rest by offering more options on the 2001 and 2002. Ford created there own market with this truck. Limit the prodution the first year, creating a demand, add options and features (the blower) and produce the hell out of it. You see its all about profit. My Two Cents

Old 06-05-2002, 07:44 PM
Yup thats exactly right Tampa-Harley. I agree w/ you 100%. But i still don't want them producing too many cuz the fewer the HD's out there the rarer it makes them as a whole, and the more mine will be worth in the future. But its all for profit so i can only hope that they don't go making 20K in 03. At least i have the 1st year and the only supercab model year of the HD's (and an early production number at that! )

Old 06-05-2002, 08:51 PM
Gotta chime in here... since we are talking the relative merits of the different models. There is absolutely no comparison between the available room inside between a s/c and a s'crew... I had a '97 Lariat s/c and have had 2 s'crews since ('01 s'crew Lariat 4x4 and the '02 HD). I am only 5'10" and the rear seat leg room in the s/c was like a torture chamber! Plenty of leg room in the s'crew. The s/c also had a horrible upright rear seat back that made comfortable traveling for any distance impossible. I will agree that they should offer the s'crew with a rear bench. The main thing I have against the s/c is the serious doubt in my mind of their safety in a frontal collision--have you ever looked at one after a hard frontal shot? The pillarless cab design folds up like an accordion... you get crushed in the middle. The final straw? Supercharged . I never even seriously considered a HD until they stuck the Lightning engine in... that was the real selling point to me--sorry, but the '00 and '01s are just paint and stripe kits with nice wheels, not worth the price difference over a regular 5.4 F150 IMHO. The '02? The angels sing when you stomp on this baby... and there is another 60-70 rwhp readily available with easy bolt-ons. I am all about performance--style comes second. Flame suit on .

Old 06-05-2002, 09:12 PM
The dealer here in daytona has about 15 on the lot that havent moved in the last few months. Except for the test drive here or the car wash there. They are pretty much at stand still. I was thinking about getting one and test drove it this weekend. Im not sure if I wanna now. The prices are up there and trade in value for my 01 isnt what i expected. Probably around biketoberfest theyll get rid of a few. If I can talk them down in price and up in trade ill get it but I just order $1200 bucks worth of sh it for my truck last night. I got the Flexalite fans 720 and decided that they didnt look stock so returned them. They looked tough but I like to keep the stock look on stuff like that. I ordered the JDM fans and a LFP high flow water pump from Lightning force performance. 3 piece pullies from steeda.com and a BBK throttle body and Granatelli Mass air flow sensor from Summitracing. Not to brag but thanks to the IRS i will be faster. got a check last week for $1278. YEAH BABY!! Free Speed.

Old 06-05-2002, 09:43 PM
Harley,
I need to preface this with the statement that they all are AWESOME trucks and do not mean to diss anyone's ride. What I meant by more room, and maybe I should have stated more clearly, was that a person that is 6'1" as you and I, can ride much more comfortably in the back seat. I know as I've had a '98 supercab, '01 screw and now the '02 hd. As far as getting 6 people in a supercab, I've done it and I'm sure everyone could as I've seen 28 people in a beetle before.... The point was that I don't think I would want to take a long distance trip in the back seat of a supercab.
I have to agree with slingshot on several issues. My reasoning for buying this truck was the fact that I've always wanted a Lightning because of the performance but I've always been somewhat practical as far as vehicles are concerned. When the Supercharged version came out, I had to have it. Period. Did they make too many? Probably. Ford is doing the same thing with this truck they've done with the Lightning. Tampa-Harley is correct about the profit scenario. There are probably several reasons why they dealers have them on the lots... I think some of them are trying to gouge, the economy is in the ****hole, 38k is a gang of money for a pickup truck. My experience in dealing on this truck has been the dealers that are gouging (msrp and above) are sitting on the trucks and the dealers that are dealing can't keep them on the lot. As far as the '00 being more valuable, only time will tell. But, I would bet, in three years, the '02 is going to pull more money because of the supercharger and being 2 years younger. I don't think many people will pay top dollar for a "rare" truck. The best thing that could happen for all of us is if Ford were to stop production for a few years or change to a 250-350 series...
Again, I'm not trying to diss anyone at all, it's just my opinion...
Why can't we all just get along?

Quick Reply: 2002 Hd's Not Selling?