Harley-Davidson

Does the Sub in the console sound good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 01:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the Sub in the console sound good?

I am getting the JL stealth box put in my truck saturday, the 11th. I am pretty excited, sub, amp, box, install, and equipment is 900 bucks, seems like a lot but i have got the cash right now and its burning a hole in my pocket. I was just wondering what this thing sounds like, I assume they are all the 12" sub? thats what mine is. Any opinions? is this a bad idea? Does it rattel at all? just curious.

Matt

Old 01-05-2003, 02:17 AM
Are you absolutely positive that it holds a 12" woofer? I was thinking it was a 10" that goes in the JL box? Please confirm either way.

Old 01-05-2003, 02:37 AM
In the 02's it is a 12" sub.
John

Old 01-05-2003, 11:06 AM
I have the stealthbox (yes it has a 12") running off a JL 250/1. What I found out pretty quick is that it sounds great, but the overall sound quality was poor since everything else was factory. I changed out the front speakers for components and that made a major difference. Next week I'll be installing a different head unit and that should yield huge results.

Have you made any other changes to your system?

Here are some of my pics.

-Mark

Old 01-05-2003, 01:06 PM
Exclamation Sub sounds good?

So , just to be clear, the SUB sounds great its just the factory crap that cant keep up right? Thats normal when you put in a nice sub, next thing you know your replacing everything else too. Its all on my list, head unit, sub all four speakers and some amps!!!

Old 01-05-2003, 01:12 PM
Kev,

Shoot me an E-mail when you are ready. I have a BUNCH of friends that own audio stores. (Extreme sound, Audio Works)
I'll make sure that they take care of you.

Old 01-05-2003, 01:18 PM
Thumbs up Cool!

Hey thanks man! I had some good friends that were installers out west, but I dont know anyone out here, so I'll take you up on that deal. First I need to find some more $$$! LOL! Im hoping the tax return will feed my mod needs!!

Old 01-05-2003, 05:21 PM
Re: Sub sounds good?

Originally posted by kevsf150HD2002
So , just to be clear, the SUB sounds great its just the factory crap that cant keep up right? Thats normal when you put in a nice sub, next thing you know your replacing everything else too. Its all on my list, head unit, sub all four speakers and some amps!!!
The problem is you are getting your signal by converting speaker level inputs into low level inputs (or you amps is doing this for you). Even with my JL's steep 24db/octive xover, you can hear any change in the bass setting on the factory head unit. The problem is, the "boost" the factory head unit is adding to the signal isn't at 50hz. It is probably 150hz or higher. So even though I cut the sub at around 60 with a 24db/xover, the factory setting has put a spike much higher and you will hear it from the sub.

You can of course turn down the bass setting, but then your other speakers are lacking (especially the factory ones).

This is why I expect a huge difference with the aftermarket head unit. Like all decent decks these days, it had a non-fading dedicated sub out.

-Mark

Last edited by St Louis Lightning; 01-05-2003 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:48 AM
When I isntalled my JL sub I also changed out my head unit all the factory speakers installed some tweeters and 2 600w Amps so the difference I heard from stock was ridiculous. I like the box. It is a clean sound but it not going to set off any car alarms. I had no problem with any type of rattling.

Old 01-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Why wont the stealthbox work on an 01? Isn't the rear console the same? What are the going rates on the boxes anyways?

Old 01-07-2003, 04:04 PM
Different consule sizes.

Old 01-07-2003, 04:05 PM
Well I am glad to hear that it doesnt rattle. I was kinda worring about that since its in a console. Yea I am going to get some better speakers in a few weeks and a new deck as soon as I can get some more $$$. Thats for all the help Guys.

Old 01-07-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by 02Harley
Well I am glad to hear that it doesnt rattle. I was kinda worring about that since its in a console. Yea I am going to get some better speakers in a few weeks and a new deck as soon as I can get some more $$$. Thats for all the help Guys.
I do have some rattle and I wonder if it is because I didn't "go all the way" with the install. I didn't cut up the stock console like the directions said to. I think I'll probably take my dremel to the console and say the hell with it.

-Mark

Old 01-07-2003, 04:34 PM
I installed per JL and have no problem with rattles. There is no dynomat or weatherstriping either. Just the box and even with a song that has a good amount of bass it is rattle free.

I don't know if cutting the box will releave you of your rattles StLouis.

Old 01-07-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Palumbon
Different consule sizes.
well they said it only works on an 02 and up on the website. just curious to see if the box works on an 01

Quick Reply: Does the Sub in the console sound good?