Got in a nice lil accident...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 04:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got in a nice lil accident...

Well I was headed home from my parents' cabin in Colorado and was halfway through New Mexico when I made a somewhat stupid decision. I saw some kids pulled over on the side of the road and decided to try and help em. I was in the left lane and a semi was in the right lane. I mashed it and got pretty far ahead of him and pulled into his lane then started to get off the road and slowed down to about 50 and he clipped my bumper before I was completely off the road. Thankfully nothin got extremely screwed up. Insurance is probably gonna call it totaled because of the frame though...
Name:  IMG_0385-1.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  48.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0386.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  42.8 KB
Name:  IMG_0393.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  40.1 KB
Name:  IMG_0394.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  37.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0390.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  37.2 KB

Old 06-11-2012, 04:05 AM
here's the semi.
Name:  IMG_0397.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  49.2 KB

Old 06-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, we have a lot of Arizona drivers over here, seems they get their license from Walmart.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
so you went around him and cut him off?

Old 06-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Patman
Kind of how I read it.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm guessing that's not Your bike in the back. Kids on board?

Reckless & irresponsible. Yer damn lucky. And even luckier the trucker didn't pound yer *** flat.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 06-11-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan

Reckless & irresponsible. Yer damn lucky. And even luckier the trucker didn't pound yer *** flat.

MGD
This ^

On a side note, doesn't look like it would take much of a hit at all to total.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
Yea, we have a lot of Arizona drivers over here, seems they get their license from Walmart.
Whoa haha, I'm an Arizona driver.... first accident ever haha but I know the people you're talkin about. Damn snowbirds are the worst.

Originally Posted by Patman
If you'd consider passing him then pulling off the road cutting off then yes.

MGD
That's mine, I've been riding freestyle BMX for 5 years. And I'm definitely lucky. He could have easily avoided me though and I was so damn close to bein perfectly fine too. Just have ****ty but good luck.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by 2000Bansheeboy
Whoa haha, I'm an Arizona driver.... first accident ever haha but I know the people you're talkin about. Damn snowbirds are the worst.

If you'd consider passing him then pulling off the road cutting off then yes.

That's mine, I've been riding freestyle BMX for 5 years. And I'm definitely lucky. He could have easily avoided me though and I was so damn close to bein perfectly fine too. Just have ****ty but good luck.

if he could have avoided it he would have. Do you realize the delays this accident caused him? The paperwork? If it was a owner/operator the loss in pay while his truck is down? MCSE inspections?

You don't have any idea what you're talking about 'easily avoided' if he had wanted to. He also could have easily hit you in the *** and put you in the median/opposing lanes, who knows.

Bet you learned your lesson about pulling moves like that in front of a 40-ton truck.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Glad you're ok .....

The better way to have gotton off to the side of the road is to slow up and have gotten over behind the semi......those semi trucks dont manuver like smaller vehicles....

Old 06-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 88racing
Glad you're ok .....

The better way to have gotton off to the side of the road is to slow up and have gotten over behind the semi......those semi trucks dont manuver like smaller vehicles....
Not the 'better' way .. the Only Rational way...

Playing chicken with a vehicle massing more than 10+ times than what yer own *** is sitting in, one that is also unable to maneuver OR stop anywhere near as well, is certainly one way to qualify fer a Darwin Award.

I do agree though - I am rather relieved yer okay - you've still got an exhaust contest to compete in

MGD

Old 06-12-2012, 03:24 AM
Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape
if he could have avoided it he would have. Do you realize the delays this accident caused him? The paperwork? If it was a owner/operator the loss in pay while his truck is down? MCSE inspections?

You don't have any idea what you're talking about 'easily avoided' if he had wanted to. He also could have easily hit you in the *** and put you in the median/opposing lanes, who knows.

Bet you learned your lesson about pulling moves like that in front of a 40-ton truck.
As if I don't feel bad haha, the guy was cool because me and my friend were practically forced to hang out with him while an officer took an hour to get there, and the tow truck for my truck took an hour and a half.
And I'm pretty sure if he turned his wheel about a quarter turn he wouldn't have hit me. Just because I was there doesn't mean he couldn't steer. I know they can't break well at all but he still could have reacted differently. He basically tried to go straight through me.
Originally Posted by 88racing
Glad you're ok .....

Ya this was one of those impulse decisions where I felt pressured and pressed the gas instead of the brake because that's usually how I react and think is the best way to get away from an accident. In hindsight, I wish I would have done that but we all make mistakes and this one just so happened to be a fairly big one.
Not the 'better' way .. the Only Rational way...

Playing chicken with a vehicle massing more than 10+ times than what yer own *** is sitting in, one that is also unable to maneuver OR stop anywhere near as well, is certainly one way to qualify fer a Darwin Award.

I do agree though - I am rather relieved yer okay - you've still got an exhaust contest to compete in

MGD
Agreed. I wish I woulda done things differently And I definitely am still there! The trucks still runnin absolutely perfect and was beatin a chipped duramax up the hills in peyson on the way home hahahaha.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Whatever bud.. ever driven a semi any real distance? I have.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:19 PM
No I haven't, so I can't say muuuuuch. But the fact that he didn't try and turn whatsoever pisses me off. Hopefully you can admit that. There was nobody else on the road besides us for at least a mile so it wouldn't have been a hazard if he had.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:11 PM
It all depends on how far ahead you were when you were pulling off, the difference in speeds, whether the tractor/trailer was loaded or not. Believe it or not, they do NOT handle like even the worse oldsmoboat ever put on the road. You jerk the wheel, you have your weight behind you wanting to keep going straight for a little bit, they don't respond to steering input like a regular 4-wheeler.

Also, you yank that steering wheel enough at the wrong speed you may just put your 80k # in the median, sideways or worse. That would have been a hazard for him.

I logged about 300k miles and then decided I had gotten it out of my system. There's a lot of bad-driving truckers out there, I wasn't one. Ride along with a driver for even one trip (if you can get permission from his company), or O/Op, and you'll see 4-wheelers pull things that will have you steaming. You have to just let it go, I lost count of how many times you'd have someone drafting behind you out of sight of your mirrors for miles, or cut right back in and almost take MY bumper off and I'd have to lock 'em up.

If you met me you'd not think I was the trucker kind, it was just a thing I wanted to do , kind of a bucket list so to speak. Last trip was from St Louis to Seattle. Beautiful route, quit with not one accident, only 2 call-ins in over 300k miles, both were BS calls. Network systems admin now, much less stress.

Any tickets issued?

Last edited by Damn Dirty Ape; 06-12-2012 at 04:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Got in a nice lil accident...