Group Buy: HID projector retrofit kits...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Group Buy: HID projector retrofit kits...

(Approved by Rockpick)

---------------------------
THE GROUP BUY IS ON!

AUGUST 1 - 15, 2011
25% discount if we get 25 kits ordered.
Discount code is "F15025" (Case sensitive)

Group buy general info:
  • The group buy is for projector retrofit kits form www.TheRetrofitSource.com
  • The discount is 25% of regular price, if we get 25 kits ordered.
  • The order period is August 1 - August 15, 2011.
  • If less than 25 kits total get ordered, we will get the number of kits ordered as the discount. eg: If 22 kits total get ordered, we will get 22% discount. If we don't hit the 25 (though I think we will easily), you can opt out of the group buy.
  • Reminder... I have not affiliation with TRS, I'm just posting up this info trying to get the group buy going. Lots of other clubs have used TRS group buys with great results. Take a look at the Toyota forum at www.ih8mud.com for an example. They had a hugely successful group buy a few months ago.

Ordering:
  • You will place your order directly with www.TheRetrofitSource.com
  • Select your kit and options.
  • Check out using the discount code "F15025" (case sensitive).
  • After you place your order, let us know by posting the info at the bottom of this thread. Include SCREEN-NAME, REAL INITIALS, WHAT KIT YOU ORDERED, DATE ORDERED.
  • The kits will not ship until we hit the 25 unit level or until the end of the two weeks and we decide to take or not take the discount if there is less than 25 kits ordered.
  • There is not a limit on total number of kits or total number of participants.
  • I asked Matt when the cards are charged. He said that the way his web site was set up, it probably will charge the credit card when you order rather than when it ships, but if that is a problem for you, order over the phone and he can hold the credit card processing until shipping.
  • You can not stack the "free shipping" coupon, but shipping is inexpensive (see below for estimate).

Questions:
  • You can order additional items along with your kit (extra bulbs, ballasts, parts, whatever) and they will also get the discount, but I don't think you will get the discount if you don't order at least one "kit".
  • You can order a kit without ballasts and/or bulbs if you already have them. Look for the "PnP UPGRADE KITS" on the order page. These do not come with ballasts.
  • If you order two full kits, it will count as two units towards our goal of 25.
  • Matt at TRS is probably the best source for other specific questions... If there are questions that lots of members might have, put them in this thread and I can ask Matt for you, but he is a super knowledgable guy who seems happy to answer questions.

----------older information below---------------

GROUP BUY: HID Projector Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source (TRS)

TRS seems to have a great reputation for sourcing the components for full projector retrofits. While talking to Matt about my own needs, I asked if he would be interested in offering us a Group Buy Discount. He offered us a great deal!

This is intended as a do-it-yourself group buy and kit, and I can see setting up a specific thread to help participants with the install, but if you wanted to buy the kit and have a "pro" retrofitter do the work, there are plenty of them out there.

25% discount (with minimum 25 participants) on any Stage III complete retrofit kit.

How it will work:
We determine interest level and get commitments from members. Once we have enough to start the group buy, a discount code will be generated and everybody will order their kits directly from RFS.
We can do the group buy with less than 25 members, but the discount will be less. There is no limit on maximum number of participants, but there will be a window for the group buy that will close at some point.
Example Kit:
This is the kit I'm looking at for myself (2011 FX4) as an example. After talking at length with Matt, it seems like this projector/shroud combo will work very well with the large 2009-2011 F150 headlights, but might also be a good solution for other years. You might need to select a smaller reflector shroud for previous generation trucks.

BI-XENON MORIMOTO MINI H1 STAGE III KIT.
  • H13 Adapter plate (simplifies mounting and leveling the projectors and bulbs)
  • Morimoto 35W fully weather sealed high quality HID ballasts.
  • Morimoto H1 35W "3five" bulbs. OEM style 4300K bulb temperature (5K, 6K available at no additional cost)
  • "Apollo" (Cayenne) style reflector shrouds. (Other shrouds available at same cost)
  • H13 plug-and-play wiring harness
List price: $295.
After 25% discount: $221.35.
Shipping should be less than $10 in the Cont. US.

These MoriMoto Mini H1 (MH1) projector kits are fourth generation, and the light patterning and cutoff is arguably the best out there. Up to now, many have felt that the FX-R retrofits had the best pattern, but now most of the "knowledgeable guys" on the HID forums think that these MH1's have as good or better light patterning and cutoff. Digital ballasts, top quality bulbs, plug-and-play wiring harnesses. Furthermore, with these new MH1 kits, there should be no plastic cutting or hassles with alignment. They come with a H14 alignment adapter that should make the job very easy, with the only task that is difficult at all being opening the butyl seal on the headlights by heating in an oven for a few minutes or with a heat gun.

"The Morimoto Mini bi-xenon complete kit includes the ultra-compact Mini bi-xenon projectors, the proper HID bulbs, and a set of 35w digital Morimoto ballasts to power them. It doesn't get any more "plug n play" than this."

The Kit:

The Apollo shrouds:

The wiring harness:

Beam pattern photo from Moromini H1's:

The group buy is also good for other projector kits, including the Bi-Xenon FX-R and the Morimoto D2S kits. You can also opt for different shrouds, bulbs, or ballasts.

Here is a link to a step-by-step install of the MH1 in a different vehicle.

Note that you will not have to do the alignment steps (#6 and #10) with the H14 adapter rings.

I have no personal affiliation with theretrofitsource. I'll just be an owner installing the kits myself, just like you. They do seem to have a pretty fantastic reputation though.
Interested:
  1. pfbz
  2. sam1947
  3. redbusa06
  4. RSchnier
  5. 88racing
  6. lsracer (x2)

Last edited by pfb2; 08-01-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pfb2
(Approved by Rockpick)

TRS seems to have a great reputation for sourcing the components for full projector retrofits. While talking to Matt about my own needs, I asked if he would be interested in offering us a Group Buy Discount. He offered us a great deal!

This is intended as a do-it-yourself group buy and kit, and I can see setting up a specific thread to help participants with the install, but if you wanted to buy the kit and have a "pro" retrofitter do the work, there are plenty of them out there.

25% discount (with minimum 25 participants) on any Stage III complete retrofit kit.

How it will work:
We determine interest level and get commitments from members. Once we have enough to start the group buy, a discount code will be generated and everybody will order their kits directly from RFS.
We can do the group buy with less than 25 members, but the discount will be less. There is no limit on maximum number of participants, but there will be a window for the group buy that will close at some point.
Example Kit:
This is the kit I'm looking at for myself (2011 FX4) as an example. After talking at length with Matt, it seems like this projector/shroud combo will work very well with the large 2009-2011 F150 headlights, but might also be a good solution for other years. You might need to select a smaller reflector shroud for previous generation trucks.

• Morimoto H1 35W "3five" bulbs. OEM style 4300K bulb temperature (5K, 6K available at no additional cost)
  • "Apollo" (Cayenne) style reflector shrouds. (Other shrouds available at same cost)

These MoriMoto Mini H1 (MH1) projector kits are fourth generation, and the light patterning and cutoff is arguably the best out there. Up to now, many have felt that the FX-R retrofits had the best pattern, but now most of the "knowledgeable guys" on the HID forums think that these MH1's have as good or better light patterning and cutoff. Digital ballasts, top quality bulbs, plug-and-play wiring harnesses. Furthermore, with these new MH1 kits, there should be no plastic cutting or hassles with alignment. They come with a H14 alignment adapter that should make the job very easy, with the only task that is difficult at all being opening the butyl seal on the headlights by heating in an oven for a few minutes or with a heat gun.

"The Morimoto Mini bi-xenon complete kit includes the ultra-compact Mini bi-xenon projectors, the proper HID bulbs, and a set of 35w digital Morimoto ballasts to power them. It doesn't get any more "plug n play" than this."

The Kit:

The Apollo shrouds:

The wiring harness:

The group buy is also good for other projector kits, including the Bi-Xenon FX-R and the Morimoto D2S kits. You can also opt for different shrouds, bulbs, or ballasts.

Note that you will not have to do the alignment steps (#6 and #10) with the H14 adapter rings.

I have no personal affiliation with theretrofitsource. I'll just be an owner installing the kits myself, just like you. They do seem to have a pretty fantastic reputation though.

Interested:
  1. pfbz
You can add me to the list "sam1947"

Old 07-25-2011, 03:04 PM
SIGN ME UP!!!

I was gonna buy a set anyway! Hopefully we can get enough to get the 25% off code before august 1st because they're running 10% off any complete kit until then so 35% off would be amazing

Old 07-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Super PUMPED

Old 07-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does this GB work for 03s as well?

Old 07-25-2011, 10:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pfb2
(Approved by Rockpick)

How it will work:
Example Kit:

The Kit:

The Apollo shrouds:

The wiring harness:

Interested:
  1. pfbz
2. sam1947

Old 07-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
when is the order date deadline? Interested.....

Old 07-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by migdaddy
does this gb work for 03s as well?
x2??

Old 07-25-2011, 11:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor
I'm in.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Don't see why it wouldn't be for other trucks as the GB is for the kits, which can be installed anywhere you want.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:28 AM
I'm interested and also want to know when the deadline for turning in the money will be. I also think I would want a different, smoother, shroud.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:40 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm in on that other site as well, and will post this there too.
If I order a kit for my heads and a kit for my fogs, does that count as 2 ppl towards the 25?

Old 07-26-2011, 12:45 AM
gb work for 03s as well?
This is a DIY project... I am comfortable doing it on my 2011, but you should check out for yourself the process of doing it on earlier trucks. The MH1 in all likelyhood is the best bet for the older trucks as well though...

deadline for turning in the money
Nothing official yet. Will update when we set up the formal GB

I would want a different, smoother, shroud.
No problem... you can pick whatever kits/lights/bulbs/shrouds you want.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:46 AM
Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
I'm in on that other site as well, and will post this there too.
If I order a kit for my heads and a kit for my fogs, does that count as 2 ppl towards the 25?
It should... We can do it with less than 25 members, but the maximum discount is if we get 25 kits ordered.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:28 AM
I'm interested in at least one set. I might want two sets though.

Quick Reply: Group Buy: HID projector retrofit kits...