woman killed by flying debris on freeway

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
woman killed by flying debris on freeway

I know this is not the time of the year that anybody wants to hear this but it is a sad story. I took the story off of one of the local tv stations websites.

Freak Freeway Accident Kills Woman
Police Ask For Help From Morning Commuters
Posted: 12:20 p.m. CST December 19, 2001
Updated: 5:36 p.m. CST December 19, 2001
HOUSTON -- Houston police investigated a freak accident Wednesday after a woman was decapitated while driving on the freeway.

The accident happened shortly after 8:30 a.m. Wednesday on Interstate 45 northbound near the 610 Loop in southeast Houston.
HPD investigators told News2Houston that as Linda Riojas was trying to get onto the South Loop westbound, a piece of metal became airborne. Police believe the scrap metal came from a tractor-trailer that lost its load.
"It goes to show what happens if you don't secure your load," Sgt. C.J. Klausner said. "Items that become airborne are nothing less than a missile."
The metal crashed through the windshield of the 43-year-old Pasadena mother's small car and decapitated her, authorities said.
"The object became dislodged and it struck the driver's windshield," Klausner said. "And it unfortunately penetrated the windshield (striking) the female driver, killing her instantly."
Police said that the metal landed next to a Bible sitting on the back passenger seat.
Riojas was on her way to work Wednesday morning when the metal struck her. Now, her family and friends are remembering the wife of a deacon who was also a Sunday school teacher and the chairwoman of her church's Christmas toy drive.
"She was just such a sweet person," church member Lynette Story said. "People loved her."
Police are trying to track down the owner of the piece of metal, described as being 3 feet long by about 20 inches wide and about one-fourth of an inch thick.
Investigators said that the piece of metal does have a serial number on it that they are tracking down.
No one else was riding in Riojas' car, police said.
"If anybody witnessed anything at 8:45 a.m. Gulf Freeway, 610 Loop area, please give us a call (at) the traffic accident division," Klausner said.
If you were driving on the Gulf Freeway Wednesday morning and witnessed the accident, you're asked to call Houston police at (713) 247-4072.

I guess the main thing is to always be alert and live life to the fullest. She left a husband and 2 children to spend the holidays without her. So lets add this lady to the many that we are already remembering as we go throughout our lives.

local tv station story

Old 12-21-2001, 12:45 PM
im here in austin and they had a pic of the piece of metal in the paper and it was a thick piece of metal that looked like 1 1/2 -2 feet i can see why it killed her. things like that make you thankful that you are alive

Old 12-21-2001, 01:24 PM
What a tragedy

The poor family of this woman must be suffering terribly at this loss, especially so close to the holdays. They need our prayers at this time. I hope they find the peace & strength theyy'll need to get thru this.

Old 12-21-2001, 03:04 PM
Something similar to that happened in Jackson a year
or so ago. A woman was killed by a bush-hog blade
that came off of a state-owned tractor which was
cutting grass along an exit ramp. Her head was cut
off. Unless I'm mistaken, her son or grandson was
also in the car. They were not hit. Turns out, a
mechanic failed to correctly replace the blade after
it was sharpened. Horrible, horrible story. Who
would think something like that would happen?

Old 12-21-2001, 03:05 PM
That is too bad that it happened, especially this time of the year. That is why no matter what I am hauling in my truck or on a trailer it always has a cover on the load with plenty of bungee cords or ratch straps.....Think that is bad, you should see how many straps I use to keep the fourwheeler in the box of the truck when I am driving forest roads.

Old 12-22-2001, 07:49 AM
When I worked for Chem Dry several years ago. I was driving down I-75 in Sarasota and a semi ran over anothers retread that came off. It hit the front of my van at around 70-75 mph. It busted through the grill, the AC condenser and hit the radiator. The other smaller piece hit the top of the windshield and cracked it and dented the top of the van. This was a full size Dodge cargo van. The retread was stuck in the grill when I pulled over to wait for a tow truck and a change of underwear. It sounded like an explosion.

My heart goes out to this ladies family.

Quick Reply: woman killed by flying debris on freeway