Ever drive the wife's car? Yikes!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 04:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Ever drive the wife's car? Yikes!!!!!

Bought the wife a "new" 1995 Olds Aurora a few weeks back. After doing some necessary maintenance chores and a few minor repairs, I took it for a day to get a CD changer installed, and got to drive it for the first time. What a scary experience.

I don't know how many of the guys on this board drive the wife's car, but being a truck guy, driving this thing was a real shock. Although the Aurora has has about every option known to man, and really gets up and goes (4.0l Aluminum Northstar V8; DOHC; 32 Valve), I could not believe how cramped and confined it was. I really missed the headroom and elbow room of the F150. And even though it handles really well, and shifts extremely smooth and tight, sitting in it made me feel like my butt was about 2" off the pavement; just can't handle not being able to see the traffic from above like in the truck. Guess it's a "guy" thing.

Anyway, she can keep the leather heated seats and mirrors, memory seats, climate control, and video game dash: I'll take the bulk and 4WD of my truck. Shudda bought me a Lightning and gave her the '97.

Anyone else ever drive the wife's car?

Last edited by jaymz; 12-06-2001 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-06-2001, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine has a Neon !! - yall have to climb DOWN to get in!!! - Mind you it is sporty - 5 speed stick & all, but MAN I get tired lookin out and all I see is WHEELS.

ENGAGE - (Cpt. Picard wav.)

rr

Old 12-06-2001, 07:20 PM
Civic hatchback.....

Believe me I know how you feel. My girl drives a '97 Honda Civic hatchback. Talk about feeling like your sitting on the ground. I am not a really big guy but I have to get one leg in then sit down.
I'm just about thirty, but when I get in and out of the Honda I feel about eighty-five.
Lucky for you guys their cars got some pep. The Honda has a 106 hp 1.6l. She has the five speed but you really got to get the rpms up there before there is any kind of pick up.
She loves the car. It is well built and great on gas.
We end up taking her car most of the time because she parks in front of the garage where my truck sleeps.
Her Honda is miles away from the F150 in many ways. Hers is paid for though.

Tom

(She just read this and agrees that it's a low car. She is just over five foot and says she feels like an eighty-five year old getting in and out, too. She maintains that she has the better vehicle. I beg to differ.)

Last edited by wittom; 12-06-2001 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-06-2001, 07:35 PM
My wifes car is a Miata. Yikes.

It's fun but damn it's small.

Check it out:

Old 12-06-2001, 07:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know the small cramped feeling all to well. Drive a 2001 Kenworth at work and my F150 there and back. In the 2 years we have had my wifes Focus I have driven it about a week. That was a week when mine was in the bodyshop. Really feels like everything got downsized inside the car and everything outside looks huge. A F150 looks like a monster sitting in the Focus when one goes by on the road .
She likes it and it hauls the dogs so I guess thats all that matters.

Old 12-06-2001, 08:36 PM
Talking

My wife had a focus, got rid of it and got a F-150, the focus, not the wife. Got her a honda civic. Can't get in without getting my knees stuck under the steering wheel.

Old 12-06-2001, 08:45 PM
Moving back to a econo car (for a little while) I found that F150's are huge ****'s. I told my friend "*****! I used to own one of those things but they really don't seem that big when you're driving one!

And now I'm dreaming of a F250 SD LOL oh well

Old 12-06-2001, 10:35 PM
Alf
Thumbs up Lincoln LS

I actually love this car. Although the wife declined the V8 engine, it moves rather quick. What really pi$$es me off is that she can never keep it clean.

Alf

Old 12-06-2001, 10:42 PM
Wink

My wifey has a Supra. When driving it young girls wink, young boys challenge, cops look, and everyone pulls up right on my tail. I even had a guy throw a full cup of coffee (with cream ) on my windshield at 75 mph. Oh yes, the truck seems like it rides like a log wagon upon return; a really slow log wagon !!

Old 12-06-2001, 11:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have a wife but I will say this after having my truck for about a year and a half I decided to test drive a Mustang GT I had one before the truck when I first had the truck I couldn't get over all the room I had well anyway I get into the Mustang and it felt cramped inside of it I was glad to get back in my truck after the test drive.

Old 12-07-2001, 09:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not too bad at all...

My wife's "car" is the first one in my sig.

But, even though it (the Expy) sits well above most vehicles, getting into it from my truck (see sig) is like stepping down into a car- but at least I still have my elbow-room.

Old 12-07-2001, 09:27 AM
92 Cougar

I kinda enjoy driving the wifes car. I bought it back in 94 for her, it only had 12,000 miles on it at the time. It has the Mustangs 5.0 HO motor in it, handling package, that's how it came from the factory. It's a heavy car, but, man does it fly.

Old 12-07-2001, 09:28 AM
My lady has a vdub Golf, tight, quick, and triple the mileage that i can get in my truck!

Old 12-07-2001, 09:45 AM
Got a Jeep

My wife's got a Jeep Wrangler and we drive it to work everyday since we work at the same place. One thing I can say about the Jeep is, even my truck with the lift and big tires rides better than that thing.

Bob

Old 12-07-2001, 09:47 AM
Yesterday I drove my wife's truck, a 93 Explorer, to fill it with gas and wash it. Isn't that when most husbands drive their wife's car/truck? And, yes, it feels awfully small compared to the F150.

Quick Reply: Ever drive the wife's car? Yikes!!!!!