Give me some encouragement

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2001, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Give me some encouragement

I need some help here. I quit drinking during Thanksgiving and i can't take it anymore. I've been sober for 18 days. I wanna have a beer right now but i know i shouldn't because one will turn into 6 more.

I need some encouraging words to keep me from drinking. I'm barely hangin on here. I can't stop thinking about it

Old 11-30-2001, 09:30 PM
Dan,

Find something to keep your hands and mind busy, go fix something or build something.......clean your truck......wash your friggin kitchen floor..just get your mind thinking of something other than beer....and if you can't then get some help........everyone needs some sometime.....good luck.....you can do it......

Ed

Old 11-30-2001, 10:07 PM
Thumbs up Do it Dan...

Just do it! Good luck.

Old 11-30-2001, 10:23 PM
Think about what made you quit. If it was a good idea then, and nothing has changed, it is probably still a good idea. If you don't really want it to happen, it won't. A little oversimplified but it worked for me with smoking.

Old 11-30-2001, 10:28 PM
Good for you man! Come and play on the net, and with all the cash you're saving, buy a SUPERCHARGER for the truck That's encouraging isn't it?

Old 12-01-2001, 01:39 AM
Good luck!

You can do this Dan - we're all going to help! Just by posting this shows you're commited to it!
There's lots of great books available to help - try getting some. If you can, contact AA - they can help too.
I'll keep you in my prayers ok? Hang in there & keep us posted on this! You watch - in a short time you'll look back & pat yourself on the back for a job well done! We'll join you too!

Old 12-01-2001, 01:46 AM
If i can do it....You can!!!

I've been sober now for exactly 11 months (new years resolution)! I had about a 6-12 beer a night habit. I quit on new years and haven't touched a drop since. My advice is dont go out to eat or to bars! And sheer willpower!

Good luck man!

Old 12-01-2001, 11:50 AM
Dan,

everytime you feel the urge, post a message here. This will keep your mind and hands occupied for a couple of minutes. If you have to post 20 times a day, don't worry.

Drink lots of water. Make sure you drink 8 to 10 8 oz. glasses a day. If your stomach is full of liquid, it may help the urges.

Hang in there buddy. You have friends rooting for you!

Old 12-01-2001, 11:57 AM
thanks guys, i really appreciate it.
y'all kept me from having a drink last night. I almost did, i had the miller lite in my hand about to twist the cap off, but i didn't.

thanks

Old 12-01-2001, 12:47 PM
Quitting a habbit is very hard. Quitting an addiction is even harder.
Keep your hands busy.
Stay away from people that will only hurt your desire to quit.
Find people that are willing to help you keep possitive thoughts. Some one that is willing to not drink theirself, or at least not drink around you. (I make sure not to drink if I am around someone who is a ex-drinker)
Compliment yourself for everytime you say "NO" to a drink.

Remember you are NOT denying yourself pleasure, but giving yourself a second chance on enjoying life, the way it was meant to be.

Good luck.

Old 12-01-2001, 01:09 PM
Bravo Dan!!!!!!!

We are all PROUD of you for resisting the urge to drink last nite! You are AWESOME to be doing this on your own! I admire you very much for the way you are fighting the good fight here!
Well said ATST! I have 3 drinks/year on 3 different nites but I too will refrain when I'm around someone who has given it up. I don't mind at all.
Dan - look at this way - if you need a chemical to enjoy what you're doing then chances are you're either doing something you shouldn't do or you're somewhere you shouldn't be. ATST is right about not being around people who may weaken your resolve. They may not do it intentionally but it can still happen. Change friends, places, hobbies & start w/all new ones. Not only will you resist temptation - you'll be having fun trying out all sorts of new stuff!
Keep up the awesome job Dan - we're with you all the way on this!

Old 12-01-2001, 01:19 PM
hang in there, buy something cool with the money you save. maybe the diversion will help? good luck!!!!!

Old 12-01-2001, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by garebel
hang in there, buy something cool with the money you save. maybe the diversion will help? good luck!!!!!
the thought of an F-250 SD this coming May sounds good to me

Old 12-01-2001, 02:43 PM
You're doing fine Dan. You made it through this latest urge. I'm sure it was tough, but you made it. Remember that the next time you have the urge.

Keep telling yourself that its OK to not drink. Keep telling yourself that you can do this one urge at a time.

Old 12-01-2001, 02:57 PM
Talking

Does Miller count as a drink then?
But seriously, I quit smoking in may last year, and it's the hardest thing I ever did, so I know what its like to struggle witha habit.
If you simply have a weight problem, then theres nothing wrong with a few sherbets, but if you needed it, thats different, and if you dont break the habit, it will ruin your life or kill you. It's a real bummer that you cant enjoy a couple, but stand tall man, and dont let being dry embarrass you.
Best of luck.
Hughie

Quick Reply: Give me some encouragement