F150europe: A day in the life of America

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2001, 08:06 PM
Really Old "Member"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150europe: A day in the life of America

Hey CJ:

I have always enjoyed your snapshots of daily life in Holland and thought to give you a rundown of life in Atlanta Georgia today.

Working backwards, we live about 10 km from Dobbins Air Force Base which is a major Reserve training base for Air Force/Navy and Marine Corps pilots and is also the major manufacturing facility for Lockheed for C 130 and F22 aircraft.

It is now 1930 hours, 7:30 PM and I have been sitting on my back porch watching pair after pair of what I think are F-16 fighters deploying back to base after what we are told is a highest level air patrol over Atlanta as well as perhaps several other Southern US cities. Sort of like the "day shift" is coming in before the "night shift" takes over.

In the last 10 days or so, I have seen literally hundreds of "contrails" in the sky, which indicate high flying aircraft, which I have not seen since the 1960"s when we had all manner of fighters and bombers constantly flying overhead to combat the then current threat of Russian bombers appearing in our skys.

To return to today, Pat and I went out shopping and we were really shocked at the lack of retail activity at stores that traditionally are so busy you cannot find a parking place. We parked right next to the entrance, conducted our business and were away in no time at all. We went to the local Home Depot and when we checked out the cashier said she had not seen such a slow day in the 10 years the store has been open. The same was true at the grocery store and the pharmacy that we visited today.

It will be interesting to see how we, as Americans, adapt to what many other countries have faced for decades if not centuries. On the net and on TV/Radio today are reports that the same folks that carried out the World Trade Center attacks, or their fellow terrorists, also had plans which might lead us to believe that they had designs on Disney World/Disney Land, one of the largest shopping malls in America and one of Chicago's largest trade centers. To this we must add the Anthrax situation which is obviously real although perhaps not directly related to the WTC/Pentagon attacks.

As a side note, Pat and I and our children lived in Peru in the 1970's when
the situation was very tense and there was a curfew from 2100
0500 (9 o'clock to 5 o'clock) We adapted to that and were out every night and raced home just before the curfew started. As well our kids went to school in busses with wire mesh on the windows to protect them from rocks and other foreign objects that were routinely thrown from the roadside.

I know that you and many other Europeans have faced this type of problem for decades, as do the Palestineans and Isrealies do now and I hope we can adapt and contunue to try to just get through it Won't be easy or comfortable, but we do have to do it.

Bill

Old 10-13-2001, 09:51 PM
Good thread Bill.
I live near a major concert hall, the stadium where the Detriot Lions play, and one of those "worlds largest malls" Also we are about an hour away from a Air force base, albeit a smaller one.
I too, have been hearing more air traffic than ever before with a notable difference in the sound, indicating these are not your everyday type of aircraft. At unusal times of the day and night too.
Other than that, things seem normal on the surface, but I have to believe it is at least in the backs of our minds that a retailiation could happen at any time.
I have a heightened awareness of my suroundings and often ponder to myself about the possible targets near me. I run through "plans" in my head about what if "this" or "that" happens when I am away from home, with home being so close to a possible target, where should I go? Home, or just drive west? Where are my kids going to be if something happens, and how do I contact them?
Even though there are no clear indications of impending danger, I keep my kids just a little closer to the house, and tell them when I say to come in, or that they can't go to a friends house, don't question me, just do it. I can't needlessly scare them.
I wonder if others have a deeper understanding that they are not talking about. I guess ignorance is bliss because road traffic seems about normal to me. Around here, when the news says that there is a storm comming, people flock to the grocery stores to "stock up" I always hit the sales when they first start during the week to avoid that, but I have not yet seen this "stocking up" so I wonder if people are trying not to think about it.
Life goes on, and we must not let our fears keep us from the freedoms that we have fought for and will continue to fight for. Otherwise the villians will have won without even having to get their hands dirty. Nobody is going to take away my freedom without getting bloodied in the process, I promise!

Old 10-14-2001, 01:20 AM
Thanks Bill and Andthensometoo.

Much appreciated.

I hear a lot about what is going on in the USA by our dutch newsreporters every day.
Never heared anything about real life and what is going on in your minds by the American people themselves.

Thanks again.

Everyone out there, Take Care

Old 10-30-2001, 07:07 AM
Halloween, will it be different for you, this year ?

Halloween is no big deal here, we hardly know it.
Seems very popular in your country.
Media tells us, celebration of Halloween will be quite different this year from other years.
Parents will keep their children at home and parents will get rid of the candy their children will receive.
Replacing it by candy they bought themselves.

With announcements by your Government of possible new attacks, will Halloween be different this year for you and your family ?

Despite everything, I wish you all a very Happy Halloween.

Old 10-30-2001, 08:28 AM
Re: Halloween, will it be different for you, this year ?

Originally posted by F150Europe
Parents will keep their children at home and parents will get rid of the candy their children will receive.
Replacing it by candy they bought themselves.
What the?
Who is saying that?
Nothing is different for me.
I only let my child go to homes that we know. I don't know many of my neighbors, not because I am unfreindly, but I pretty much keep to myself.
In our neighborhood, the houses are not very close together, and we don't have many children, so we don't get many "trick or treaters". As a result, the houses that do give out candy, give out a lot of it. If you only go to 10 houses, you will end up with a whole bag full. Most of the kids are accompanied by adults who usually chat for a minute or two with their neighbor while they are there, so we usually only get to about 10 houses in an hour anyway. Personally, I think that is the way it should be.

Quick Reply: F150europe: A day in the life of America