I NEED A NEW KEY! (I have one but want another).

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I NEED A NEW KEY! (I have one but want another).

I have a 2016 F150 with regular keyed ignition and only 1 key from previous owner. Anyone know who sells pre-cut and programmed keys for less than the dealer? Local dealership (I used to work at) wants $180 + $50 programmed (that's ordering it from Ford Rotunda pre-cut by VIN). No-one around me actually cuts this type of key (sidecut) so I guess I would like to find one online and maybe save a few bucks... Any ideas???

Last edited by pocketpoolboy; 10-11-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:52 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can find replacement keys online. I've found one for my truck on Amazon for about $24. They are not precut or programmed though. Make sure you get the exact same kind of key that matches the one you have for your truck. Then, I know Ace Hardware can cut the key to work in the ignition (at least the one in the small town I live near can).

Finally, I THINK you can program your new key to match the one you have (it will be a clone, not a true second key), by following a process described in your owner's manual. Once you do this, the new key should work just like your old one, but it will be seen as "key1", not "key2" which means you won't be able to set different driver options with it, such as seat position and so on.

Edit: I may have been wrong about programming the new key. What I said applied to my old 2005 King Ranch but I just checked my owners manual for my current truck and it appears you have to take the new key to a dealership or locksmith for programming now. Still, you will save money by getting the key blank online and having it cut somewhere like Ace HW. And, you MAY still be able to program it yourself using Forscan, if you feel up to that option.

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 10-12-2019 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:18 PM
Unfortunately we do not have any local options for side-cut keys where I live. I have just started researching Forscan and am a member on their facebook group as well. I think I might just order one through the dealership.

Old 11-30-2019, 01:03 PM
I bought 2 new key fobs online and took them to Walmart and they cut them for me for free. Then I downloaded forscan and bought the adaptor from amazon and programed them both. And they work with the doors and remote start.

Quick Reply: I NEED A NEW KEY! (I have one but want another).