Ethical question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 10:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Ethical question

I bought a smittybilt light bar (actually made by N-fab) from amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyway, It was scheduled to ship Aug. 11, but for some reason it showed up on Aug 10 with no shipping notice (which amazon always does) then on the 11th I get a shipping notice so I thought amazon was just late. On Friday the 12th another light bar shows up. I checked my amazon account and there is no record of the second unit ever shipping or being delivered. I contacted amazon and explained to them what happened and told them I would like to return the second unit as it is the right thing to do. They said they would contact the vendor and request a return shipping label. Now for the ethical question, how long should I wait for them to respond? If I don't get a response in a decent amount of time, I'm going to sell it. So how long should I wait?

Old 08-14-2016, 10:57 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd contact them one more time to try and correct -- if you don't receive the return shipment packet within a few weeks I'd say you own it at that point.....

Old 08-15-2016, 11:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To me you did more than most and you did the right thing. (good for you!)

I would not contact them anymore, put the box away and wait 2 months. after that keep it. they might charge your card twice (it is already done if they did it) and atleast then you have the product to return. Remember they messed it up once to your advantage, next time might be to their advantage and you are stuck dealing with it.

I had something similar happen but the parts were big, on pallet, i called and called and called nothing (3 calls total) my time!.. 3 months latter I get a invoice for the fricken parts (something i would never use or could sale). lucky I still had the parts and the persons name i spoke with and they sent a truck to pick it up. i should have charged them storage fees.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:26 PM

What's weird is my amazon account shows it was delivered on the 10th, but it wasn't supposed to ship until the 11th. Then on the 11th I get a notice from amazon that it shipped and that one arrived on the 12th. Now amazon has no record of the first one ever shipping, but they show it delivered on the 10th. And the second one does not exist in their system but I have it sitting in my garage and they sent me notice that it shipped on the 11th.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:11 AM

I got a message from the seller, they are going to send me a pre-paid return label. I know it's the right thing to do is return the light bar, but it still sucks. I could have made a few bucks off of it.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:39 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
It's the right thing to do. Honest mistake happened somewhere

Good for you for doing the right thing

Old 08-16-2016, 02:31 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
It's the right thing to do. Honest mistake happened somewhere

Good for you for doing the right thing
Agreed! (On both points!) Mistakes happen, and when they don't cause harm, people should not be punished for them.

- Jack

Old 08-18-2016, 10:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My moral compass says that if I have to ask if something is right it's probably wrong.

You did the right thing by not cheating the seller.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed with all that was said. Good on you for doing the right thing! People make mistakes and I don't really believe in Karma, but you may make a similar mistake in the future and wish for the same results.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookie
My moral compass says that if I have to ask if something is right it's probably wrong.

You did the right thing by not cheating the seller.

This

Old 09-01-2016, 10:39 PM

Well it's been over two weeks since the seller said they would send me a return label and it hasn't showed up yet. I'll try contacting them again, and I'll wait another two weeks. If I don't get a return label by then, I'll sell the light bar. I would think by then they don't care and don't want it back.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:30 PM

It's been over a month now, I've contacted them twice and still no return label. So I guess it's up for sale now.

Quick Reply: Ethical question