Suggestions about how to ship a large object???

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 11:36 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Suggestions about how to ship a large object???

I need to ship a jeep seat from Nevada to Florida and the usual shipping services either won't do it or want a King's ransom. Does anyone know of a company that will ship something that large at anything even approximating reasonable rate?

Old 04-21-2016, 07:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check with Greyhound.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:45 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Why not log onto "U-ship" and see what kind of quote you get -- this is the shipping service that is featured on the TV show "Shipping Wars"......

Old 04-21-2016, 11:36 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Have your checked with freight companies? On very large items they are usually much cheaper than fedex or ups.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:12 PM
Maybe a shot in the dark, but how about a moving company? They may be able to add it to household goods moving across the country.

Otherwise I would check with a couple of freight companies. you may have to strap it to a pallet and wrap it though.

A seat is just at that size where it is too big for most carriers, but not big enough for a freight company to move.

Could you take the back off, put is on the base horizontal and get the overall size smaller? It may help with a carrier like UPS or FedEx.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:40 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Blown F-150
Maybe a shot in the dark, but how about a moving company? They may be able to add it to household goods moving across the country.

Otherwise I would check with a couple of freight companies. you may have to strap it to a pallet and wrap it though.

A seat is just at that size where it is too big for most carriers, but not big enough for a freight company to move.

Could you take the back off, put is on the base horizontal and get the overall size smaller? It may help with a carrier like UPS or FedEx.

The back doesn't come off but the frame is made of round tubing and someone else suggested cutting the tubing at one of the straight sections and then folding the seat flat and shipping it. Then splicing the tubes back together with pieces of smaller tubing inside and then welding it. I'll do some measuring tomorrow and see how small that would make it and then call some of the suggested companies and see what they can tell me.

I'll post the final results here.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:55 PM
I'm telling you -- put it up for bid on U-ship -- think of it as an eBay for shipping services! That seat will be something EASY for them to add to a load and make a little more money driving cross-country!

Old 04-23-2016, 06:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ddellwo
Why not log onto "U-ship" and see what kind of quote you get -- this is the shipping service that is featured on the TV show "Shipping Wars"......
As long as Jared doesn't get it then he will be good!

Old 04-23-2016, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
As long as Jared doesn't get it then he will be good!
I'd pay double if Jennifer came to pick it up......

Old 04-23-2016, 08:57 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ddellwo
I'd pay double if Jennifer came to pick it up......
I knew you'd say that! Lol

Quick Reply: Suggestions about how to ship a large object???