If this is a sign of what's to come - there might be hope for Lincoln

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 10:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When I purchased the 07 it was the only gm suv to have the 404 hp ls3. At the time the navigator had the same engine offered in all f150 and expedition. Maybe Denali had it also but I know the suburban did not offer it.

My wife loved it and wanted another. Her car her chose she likes the Cadillac. I bought the 07 because she wanted pearl white. Another only Cadillac feature in 07 and I liked the power of the 6.2. Maybe if Lincoln offered unique engine in 07 I am looking to buy my third navigator.

I am getting tired of trying to convince you 2. I am 48 , In that 39.6 tax bracket with kids and expendable income. Lincoln does nothing to get my business. Cadillac does and it is not a brand loyal thing. Ford offering the premium Harley davidson f150 with unique wheels , paint and interior . They
reached out and got my attention. It has the not as common 6.2 and does enough to set itself apart from other trucks. I had to have one.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:44 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
You don't have to convince me of anything - I get it. You are far from being a mainstream luxury car buyer. When you are cutting things to the bone to avoid having to ask for a bailout, you aren't going to spend any money on unique designs for a very narrow market. Your money is going to go into the mainstream products that sell in large quantities.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:01 AM
So now it is the bailout fault Lincoln is out of touch. Yet ford had the money to build the 05 - 06 gt and now has money to develope the $400k gt. Or how about 660 hp gt500. Or the new gt350 that so far is the only car getting the 5.2.

You should really go look at navigator vs escalade sales and see what happened
Same with expedition vs suburban ( Yukon). Ford owned it. Got lazy and lost it.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:30 AM
glc
No, they are out of touch because all Lincoln has been lately is a dolled up Ford. They need to do things that make it more than just that, but that doesn't have to include unique engines and platforms.

Back to the original subject of this post, that's what they are doing with the new Continental. They are stretching the Fusion platform, putting an Ecoboost in it, along with the AWD drive system used in the Focus RS. The Ecoboost is going to be a punched out 2.7, which is their engine of the future. This is maximum utilization of what they already have, and a punched out 2.7 is going to have more than enough HP to satisfy the vast majority of luxury car buyers. Most buyers of this class of car don't really care whether it has a V8 or not as long as it gets out of its own way, and it's going to be quiet and smooth regardless of what it is. They also have to be conscious of CAFE regulations.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:23 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
A recent article I read mentioned how the Continental hopefully has the funky interior since it's different and the big draw to the car. They're already being out seen in Detroit.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You keep saying a luxury car has to have a special in order to sell but that's not the case outside of your head. I've already shown how Audi uses the same engine in Skoda, VW and Audi and they have no trouble selling cars. So now let's look at

Lexus:
IS, ES, GS, RC, IS-C all use the same 2.5L or 3.5L that is in Corollas and Camrays.
The LS, GX use the same 4.6L that's in the Tundra and Sequoia
The NX and RX use the same 2.0T as the RAV4, and Corolla
The LX uses the same 5.7L as the Tundra.
The only special engine in one is the 5.0L RC-F.

Cadillac:
ATS - 2.0T or 3.6. The 2.0T is used in the Malibu. The 3.6 is offered in just about everything they sell.
CTS - 2.0T, 3.6 or 3.6T. See above except for the 3.6T
XTS - 3.6 or 3.6T.
SRX - 3.6
ELR - Electric like the Volt
Escalade - 6.2. Used in 1500 and 2500 series trucks.
Only the -V series gets anything special. Interestingly enough, the special engine in the ATS-V is a twin turbo 3.6L V6. That sounds an awful lot like the MKX top engine...

So it’s pretty safe to say it doesn’t take a special engine to sell luxury cars to most buyers. If you want more power or exclusivity it’s out there but not 500Hp for S60k like you keep bringing up. Ford needs to offer a Lincoln as more than a tinseled up Ford to sell them. Look to VAG’s MBQ platform and how they can make a ton of different cars from one platform. Every one has a distinct character but utilizes the same basic foundation. Make the Lincoln something special to be in and look at then it will sell. The underpinnings can remain FoMoCo and be just fine.

FYI: the prototype Continental doesn’t have the wheels everyone hates.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:10 PM
Lincoln won't reavel too many details about what's under the hood, only saying that the Continental uses an all-new, 3.0-liter EcoBoost V6 that is said to be exclusive to the brand
i didnt realize this but it is a great move on lincolns parts, wish a more powerful engine was in the works , but an exclusive engine means they moving the right direction.

EXCLUSIVE TO THE BRAND. what does that mean?, why are doing it?

the escalade was the only suv to receive the 6.2 in the beginning to make it more exclusive. it was not available in the trucks or other suv for 3 years. so for 3 years , if you wanted it and had the money, the only option was cadillac...see how that works?

the top of the lines model dont sell as many , but help establish an attitude or image of the brand.

thats it, done arguing about it, you will not conceed it becuase you dont understand it. some how you like throwing the GT eco motor, not even realizing you are doing just what i say people do, you are comparing the gt motor with the motor in your truck even thought they are very- very different. marketing, if think you are not effected, they have already set the hook.

expensive TOP line models cant have bread and butter motors

lexus now has the LFA to be top banana and market the attitude.

you refuse to admit that all premium brands have a highend car that have high power motors. kind of like a hockey team has an enforcer, you only need one to set the tone.

kind of funny how cadillac has a new ctsv coming out with 640 hp.

last word to you i am done, i am a cadillac owner in rescent years , i buy lincolns closest similar competition, how about you?

Old 04-23-2015, 03:59 PM
glc
The "all new exclusive" 3.0 Ecoboost is most likely going to be based on the 2.7 Nano, and the article says the 2.7 itself may be standard in the vehicle with the 3.0 an option.

Oh, I totally understand what YOU are saying, but I'm also saying that people with your specific attitude are few and far between. I guess you just won't be buying a Lincoln any time soon. No big deal, there are other vehicles on the road that you would like and there are plenty of other people who will like the new Lincoln. Isn't having a choice great?

Old 04-23-2015, 04:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookie
Now drop that drivetrain into the Fusion. Ford desperately needs a sporty/performance sedan. Everything they have is boring. They need something to compete with the Germans.
Notice waaaaay back in post #3 is said they needed something sporty. That's a gaping hole in their product line up.

Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
i didnt realize this but it is a great move on lincolns parts, wish a more powerful engine was in the works , but an exclusive engine means they moving the right direction.

EXCLUSIVE TO THE BRAND. what does that mean?, why are doing it?

the escalade was the only suv to receive the 6.2 in the beginning to make it more exclusive. it was not available in the trucks or other suv for 3 years. so for 3 years , if you wanted it and had the money, the only option was cadillac...see how that works?

the top of the lines model dont sell as many , but help establish an attitude or image of the brand.
Once again, read all of the information I have put out there. EVERY luxury brand reuses their lower tier engines and underpinnings in their high end vehicles, even your precious Cadillac. Just because you want something different doesn’t mean that’s what is on the dealership lot.

thats it, done arguing about it, you will not conceed it becuase you dont understand it. some how you like throwing the GT eco motor, not even realizing you are doing just what i say people do, you are comparing the gt motor with the motor in your truck even thought they are very- very different. marketing, if think you are not effected, they have already set the hook.
Nope, you're the only one in this entire thread who has brought up the EB truck motor in this thread. The rest of this paragraph (using the term loosly) is pretty much unreadable.

expensive TOP line models cant have bread and butter motors
You keep moving the goalposts. You started off talking about $50-60 luxury cars having to have special motors. Now it's just one top end ($100k) model that has to. That's called "crawfishin" around here.

lexus now has the LFA to be top banana and market the attitude.
No they don't. It stopped production two model years ago and of the 500 cars 14 are still unsold...

you refuse to admit that all premium brands have a highend car that have high power motors. kind of like a hockey team has an enforcer, you only need one to set the tone.

kind of funny how cadillac has a new ctsv coming out with 640 hp.
I do?!? Post 15 I showed an Audi roasting all 4 tires, post #32 and #37 would also like to have a word with you. The confusion comes from your price point and power requirement. Once again $50-60k won't get you a fire breathing luxury performance sedan. You will get a mid level car with some variant of a corporate engine in it. I never said Lincoln shouldn’t have something like this. I said it isn’t the most important car for them to come out with. It will sell in limited numbers and might break even. What they need to do is make solid volume sellers then enrich the line up with special editions. This is what I said in post #32, Throwing a lot of money at a halo car is something you do after you have an already compelling lineup. Right now they don’t have that. They need to shore up their main stream products before making niche cars. They could eventually do like the Germans and have more powerful options of their main stream cars. But how many M3s does BMW sell compared to the base 330i? Get the core product right then add the RS/M/AMG versions. Hell, they could even call them the Edsel package.

last word to you i am done, i am a cadillac owner in rescent years , i buy lincolns closest similar competition, how about you?
I don't really like any of the new stuff enough to buy it. I could but don’t. I do however; have an Audi and Porsche in my driveway.

Quick Reply: If this is a sign of what's to come - there might be hope for Lincoln