50 Years of the 911

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
50 Years of the 911

50 Years of the Porsche 911

What might be the most familiar shaped car in the world is turning 50 this year.

Anyone else in here have a thing for P cars?

Old 02-18-2013, 04:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From the article: "The effects were immediate. Careless motorists in slick weather could find their 911 swapping ends with aggressive stabs of the accelerator or brakes."
I experienced this as youngster in my gf's dad's 912 (4 cyl version), unforgettable.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Lift off over steer has sent many a doctor spinning tail first through the trees. The only 911s were cars that had to be driven properly or you'd get bit!

Old 02-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, some of those that got bit paid the ultimate price for not being able to overcome panic reflexes they developed in conventional cars.

One of my buddy's had a red 911SC that I got to drive a few times, and really enjoyed it on the straights, but never pushed it in the corners due to the reputation and no experience with the car.

FWIW, I knew someone who's brother died when he crashed his 911, also an SC, so it wasn't a real old one. IIRC, got tail happy, slammed into a curb sideways. The impact threw him across the cabin and he slammed the side of his head down onto the passenger's armrest hard enough to kill him. No doubt driver error, but the family at least partly blamed the car.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:02 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Try driving a early '80's 930 Turbo in the rain...Happy Birthday 911 anyway!

Old 02-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is a 6 cylinder VOLKSWAGEN. They ride like a coaster wagon and are caskets in an accident. I worked for Porsche for 3 years. I never really saw the love it got. Mainly bought by the gold chain crowd...........

Old 02-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by dirt bike dave
Unfortunately, some of those that got bit paid the ultimate price for not being able to overcome panic reflexes they developed in conventional cars.

One of my buddy's had a red 911SC that I got to drive a few times, and really enjoyed it on the straights, but never pushed it in the corners due to the reputation and no experience with the car.

FWIW, I knew someone who's brother died when he crashed his 911, also an SC, so it wasn't a real old one. IIRC, got tail happy, slammed into a curb sideways. The impact threw him across the cabin and he slammed the side of his head down onto the passenger's armrest hard enough to kill him. No doubt driver error, but the family at least partly blamed the car.
They can bite you much worse than a lot of cars if you drive them poorly. But then again my sister totaled a Miata because she panicked mid turn and over steered then jammed on the brakes when the back end got loose. Any RWD can do this if you are ham fisted enough. The 911's rear engine and torsion bar front end made the early ones really twitchy. When the time the 993 incorporated the Weissach axle from the 928 the 911 became a much easier car to drive hard. It still can bite back though.

Too bad you don't still have that 930 Turbo, they are worth a pretty penny now. I would love to have a slant nose in my garage.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Early 911's had a well deserved reputation for lift throttle oversteer. The first 911 Turbos took that trait to a whole new level. But Porsche knew they had a problem and have worked on it for years. The current result is actually a great handling car with very little if any of that nasty trait. Too bad so many people think the car still has it. If you think about it though, 50 years of development ought to be enough to exorcize just about any demon.

BTW, I've always loved the shape of the 911 - particularly the wide body versions. Maybe someday when I win the lottery ...

Old 02-22-2013, 10:26 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookie
They can bite you much worse than a lot of cars if you drive them poorly. But then again my sister totaled a Miata because she panicked mid turn and over steered then jammed on the brakes when the back end got loose. Any RWD can do this if you are ham fisted enough. The 911's rear engine and torsion bar front end made the early ones really twitchy. When the time the 993 incorporated the Weissach axle from the 928 the 911 became a much easier car to drive hard. It still can bite back though.

Too bad you don't still have that 930 Turbo, they are worth a pretty penny now. I would love to have a slant nose in my garage.
Buddy of mine had the 930 back then and was scared to drive in the rain after spinning out once or twice. I drove it a few times and if I remember it only had a 4 speed. Looked cool with the flared fender's and the rear spoiler...and yes I would imagine they're worth some change right now.

Quick Reply: 50 Years of the 911