Drop light for hesdlights question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drop light for hesdlights question

I have drop lights on my f350 due to my 16"s of lift puts my OEM headlights over the law. Question is does anyone know if there is a law in Texas about your headlights having to be OEM? The drop lights do have turn signals in them and the reason for them is for use when your headlights are higher than limit, you can see them on just about ever huge truck lifted. I have one cop tellin me it's illegal and they must be OEM. I've passed state troopers and even had cops pull me over to take pics on my truck so if they were illegal wouldn't I be messed with by every cop in this state? I can't fin anything online tellin me they must be OEM. And this one cop says my drop lights are considered "aux lights". BS!

Old 01-18-2013, 08:56 AM
I don't know if a law can actually specify that they be OEM. However, I'm sure they must be DOT approved? Not sure...

Actually now that I think of it, to be DOT approved I think they must have the reflectors in them, be a certain lumens etc..

And just because you pass a cop and he doesnt pull you over does not mean it's legal. The same cop you passed 12 times the months before could randomly pull you over. Especially if he has a quota to meet. Also, some cops just don't like to enforce "fix it tickets" like that and will just keep driving.

Trying to think of where you can take it to see what it takes to have legal lighting.. DMV? court house? I dunno.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Most states have vehicle inspection stations where a trained inspector who knows the laws can sign you off or tell you what needs fixing. Sometimes this is a guy with a garage who inspects vehicles as a side line to his repair business.

Google for 'state of texas vehicle lighting inspection stations' and you will probably find a list of approved locations.

Your state vehicle code is also probably online. If it indicates your system is legal, print up those pages and carry with you in case you get pulled over.

Last edited by dirt bike dave; 01-18-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:03 PM
Deff check with the state. For instance, We have the same law here in Illinois. However, It states that the stock headlights cant be above or below a given height. So relocation won't matter here, it still goes to the oem posistion.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
What the hell is a "drop light"?

Old 01-21-2013, 09:01 AM
More like dropped his lights. Like mounting snow plow lights on your bumper.

Quick Reply: Drop light for hesdlights question