How do you heat your Garage/Shop

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Build Tracking Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you heat your Garage/Shop

I have a 30k Armstrong unit heater in my 30x50x10 garage that has over the last 8 years worked fine. Started to give me problems last winter and I'm now looking at a new heater for the garage. Since i keep the temp at 45 and only bring it up to maybe 60 when i work in there, the 30k was doing it's job, even though the recommendation for that size garage is at least double that.
Looking for a high energy efficient heater. Preferably as close to 100% as i can get.
Using propane.
Infrared: sounds good but i have high shelves that would get things to close to the heat. Not sure about efficiency.
Another unit heater: 80% efficient at best.Same as i have now
Furnace: Up to 96% efficient, but takes up floor space

What do you use for heating and why?
Maybe some HVAC guys can chirp in..

Old 12-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I live in Houston, Texas -- heating my garage doesn't cost me a dime.......

Old 12-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Build Tracking Moderator
Originally Posted by ddellwo
I live in Houston, Texas -- heating my garage doesn't cost me a dime.......
Is there a large lot for sale near you?

Old 12-01-2012, 10:47 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
The EPA would probably have a fit today, but when I was working in a gas station many years back we had a waste oil furnace. That definitely took care of the waste oil disposal issue too.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wait? they heat shops? well then...

Old 12-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I open the door's!

Old 12-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Suspended
I wear a jacket.

Only time it's ever an issue is if i'm working late into the night where it gets into the 20-30's where it just makes it a PIA to use your fingers. Then again this is Texas, so 98% of the year it's not an issue

Last edited by 06yz250f; 02-18-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 12-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only "shop" I heat is a shed and I use a 2 burner heater on a 20lb propane tank, probably not what you're looking for

I'm assuming you want to stay with gas but my dad has a 26'x40x10 garage that he heats with a wood burner. I'm not sure of the exact size but it's not huge, maybe 4'x3' and it keeps his garage anywhere from 70-80*. He usually fills it up in the morning before going to work then again when he gets home and again before going to bed and hardly ever has to re light it.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Build Tracking Moderator

So, none of you guys actually have to heat your garages. Must be nice.
Surprised that nobody told me to buy insulated overalls yet...
Any northerners on here that do heat the garage??

Old 12-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Build Tracking Moderator
Originally Posted by MTM Ford
The only "shop" I heat is a shed and I use a 2 burner heater on a 20lb propane tank, probably not what you're looking for

I'm assuming you want to stay with gas but my dad has a 26'x40x10 garage that he heats with a wood burner. I'm not sure of the exact size but it's not huge, maybe 4'x3' and it keeps his garage anywhere from 70-80*. He usually fills it up in the morning before going to work then again when he gets home and again before going to bed and hardly ever has to re light it.
I'm much rather just turn the thermostat to get heat.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Jacket, keeping the door closed when possible, and a Mr. Heater Buddy are our heaters. The heater is just enough to take the chill out of the air. Sucks that my vehicle is the only that doesn't fit in the garage with the door closed, and still have room to work.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If the heater you have is only 8 years old the heater you have is fine. What kind of problems are you having. I would reccomend a good cleaning. There is nothing to a unit heater, transformer, gas valve, blower and a couple relays, if it just acts up sometimes its maintinance related.
If you go with a tube heater they only heat objects and not the air, if your working right under it you will be hot, and if you only keep it 60 maybe, you won't like it.
If you go to a furnace you can hang it from the ceiling horizontally, however a 96% furnace will cost more, require a new flue, at least some ductwork, and a condensate drain. The additional cost of equitment and install will be more than you will recoup from the upgrade in efficiency
If it were me I would give your current heater a little attention and it will be fine. I have been doing heating and refrigeration work all my working life and you can pm if you have any specific question.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Build Tracking Moderator
Originally Posted by worm5932
If the heater you have is only 8 years old the heater you have is fine. What kind of problems are you having. I would reccomend a good cleaning. There is nothing to a unit heater, transformer, gas valve, blower and a couple relays, if it just acts up sometimes its maintinance related.
If you go with a tube heater they only heat objects and not the air, if your working right under it you will be hot, and if you only keep it 60 maybe, you won't like it.
If you go to a furnace you can hang it from the ceiling horizontally, however a 96% furnace will cost more, require a new flue, at least some ductwork, and a condensate drain. The additional cost of equitment and install will be more than you will recoup from the upgrade in efficiency
If it were me I would give your current heater a little attention and it will be fine. I have been doing heating and refrigeration work all my working life and you can pm if you have any specific question.
Thanks for your help.
This heater (Armstrong CGHA30AE-5) keeps cycling off after 1-2 minutes of running, then re-ignites without a problem and keeps doing this till it meets the thermostat setting.
I have cleaned it (didn't need much) including the igniter and flame sensor. No trouble codes on the board. Light flashes slow when not running and fast when calling for heat. What else can i check?
I should mention: While it was running and i was on the ladder looking things over, i heard a click from the gas valve but it didn't shut down till a little bit later. Wondering what that was about.

Last edited by SETCHAN; 12-01-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Build Tracking Moderator
Also- When i bought this unit, i had to install the LP kit. Never did have the manifold pressure tested. Never paid attention to the heater since it was new, assuming all was well. It may have been doing this all along but never noticed till last winter.
Been playing with the pressure adjustment without it making any difference. Instead of having somebody come in to take incoming and manifold pressure for me in exchange for $75 or more, I've ordered myself a manometer, which i don't have yet.
Would incorrect gas pressure cause this or would it be a hardware issue?

Last edited by SETCHAN; 12-01-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The gas pressure is too high and its overheating. You need to check the pressure. Its too high

Quick Reply: How do you heat your Garage/Shop