No More "Mr. Nice Guy"!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 05:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure you already knew before you made the deal with the Doc that you have a lot better than a 50% chance of doing exactly what you want and intend to do, manage your Type 2 WITHOUT meds! If it doesn't go into your mouth (the WRONG things), they can't hurt you. Do your business in the top 6 in. of your being 1st. and the rest is history. Good luck! Those that WILL, DO! Exercise is one of the most imoportant parts of the picture.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jtwoodall
I ride trails from time to time and when I'm done I have to ice my knees just to get over the pain. Is riding not affecting your bad knee any?
It is possible you have a meniscus tear or some type of injury on your knee, the more you use it the more you damage it which is causing so much of your pain. But then again that is just an opinion coming from me, (Dr. Wannabe).

The reason I don't pain is because I had my meniscus tear fixed; all I needed was for it to heal. I do pain a lill but is because the knee hasn't been fully used for more than 3 years. See, I pained for 3 years, all that time I was gentle with my left leg which cause some atrophy. It wasn't until the knee started swelling that I saw the Doc. who determined after reviewing my MRI test that I had a 3rd meniscus tear.

2 months after surgery, I felt as if the knee hadn't been fixed but I'm 100% certainty it was the diabetes that slowed down the healing process. Once I found out that my glucose level was too high and took control of it, WALAAA!!! I gain back my independence and feel like I once again CAN.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Thanks John, Thanks Frank.

@ nrd10 & Remingtonry, from what I gathered at the diabetes informational center is that if one has a family history of diabetes it is 99.9% possible that you have it too. It's just a matter of time for it to reveals itself if one doesn't take the necessary steps to take care of it. A good place to start taking care of it is to become well informed on how to avoid diabetes from affecting you.

Thanks for the well wishes and good luck to you two too.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by code58
I'm sure you already knew before you made the deal with the Doc that you have a lot better than a 50% chance of doing exactly what you want and intend to do, manage your Type 2 WITHOUT meds! If it doesn't go into your mouth (the WRONG things), they can't hurt you. Do your business in the top 6 in. of your being 1st. and the rest is history. Good luck! Those that WILL, DO! Exercise is one of the most imoportant parts of the picture.
Thanks Code.

Actually, I know I have a 50% chance at succeeding. I have evaluated the 2 major reasons why I may not be able to succeed.

1). 3 months is not enough time to undo the damage I've done in 40 yrs. I may need to take the meds UNTIL it is under control.

2). It could be that no matter how hard I workout, no matter how much water I drink, no matter how much I eat a balance diet, my glucose level still remains high. Then, and only then, will I accept defeat and will have no choice but to take the meds.

Either or, I have come to grips with myself that this change in my life style is for my own good and I must follow it religiously. It doesn't matter if I have to be on med for the rest of my life or temporarily, what matters is that I continue eating a balance diet, drink lots of water, and exercise in order to live the little bit of time I have, as enjoyable as possible.

I love repeating the poem down bellow to myself when I feel something is not possible.

Straight roads never make good drivers,

Smooth sea never makes good sailors,

Clear sky never makes good pilots,

Problem free life never makes a good and strong person.

Have a tough but winning day ahead!

Be strong enough to accept the challenges of life.

Don’t ask life,
“Why ME?”
Instead say,
“Try ME…..!!”

Old 05-11-2012, 11:11 AM
While diabetes has not been my problem, I have made some life style changes with fantastic results. I went vegan, lost #70 pounds, 10", and gave up Lipitor and hypertension meds.

I know, this isn't for everybody.

Here is the first result to come up when I google diabetes + vegan + Dr. Neal Barnard - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-..._b_312219.html

Check Amazon for Dr. Barnard's books on veganism and diabetes if you are so inclined.

Good luck.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by ONELOWF
While diabetes has not been my problem, I have made some life style changes with fantastic results. I went vegan, lost #70 pounds, 10", and gave up Lipitor and hypertension meds.

I know, this isn't for everybody.

Here is the first result to come up when I google diabetes + vegan + Dr. Neal Barnard - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-..._b_312219.html

Check Amazon for Dr. Barnard's books on veganism and diabetes if you are so inclined.

Good luck.
My wife has been vegan for almost 40 years. She weighs 110 lbs, has perfect heart rate, blood pressure and cholesterol. She's so healthy it's disgusting.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
OG, my wife has a weight problem and had diabeties, plus bad knees. She had the gastric by-pass surgery and the next day (still in the hospital) she didn't need her meds at all. People really don't seem to make the connection between weight and so many other issues.

She has now (about 7 months) lost a BUNCH of weight and has a ton more energy but most of all a better disposition. She is able to handle stress much better (not on my back nearly as much), she is like a different person.

My Dad also was diaberic. He was **** about logging what he ate and what it did to his BGL. He had it figured out that if he was going to have red meat for dinner he would adjust what he had for breakfast and lunch. The old guy probably poked himself about 20 times a day, but it gave him real good "live data".

The other thing I saw was that when either of them ate smaller meals but more often, that helped alot.

Anyhoo, best of luck with your journey and KEEP IT UP!

Old 05-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
congrats on your progress so far, glad someone in America still has the back bone to step up and take care of themselves

Old 05-12-2012, 04:51 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
My wife has been vegan for almost 40 years. She weighs 110 lbs, has perfect heart rate, blood pressure and cholesterol. She's so healthy it's disgusting.
Makes Ya want to go out and have a double-double at the "Greasy Spoon" as comfort food doesn't it?

Old 05-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Thanks ONELOWF for the well wishes and for sharing the article, interesting read BTW. I will definitely look into the vegan diet if all else fails.

A vegan diet would definitely allow me to recuperate some of the money I pay out for gardening every month. I'll ask my gardener to save the grass and shrub clippings for me. (kidding of course )

Originally Posted by jgger
OG, my wife has a weight problem........
Well get off her darn back then....jeez!

JK jgger, glad to hear your wife is doing well, thanks for sharing and thanks for the well wishes.

Thanks Patman, I too, would like to see more Americans do more for themselves instead of falling into the false notion that the Government....I mean the hard working American tax payers should take care of them from cradle to grave.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:25 PM
A lil up date:

This past week I found out that I'm not ready for mountain bike riding. On many of the up and downs on the trail I need to stand up and pedal but my left leg is not yet strong enough to do so.

I thought I need to step back and tackle the issue in a different way. That is, I need to exercise my left leg first and make it strong before I could get back on the mountain bike. My solution was to purchase a street bike, the one on the picture down below, in order to perform the difficult task ahead of me.

I've been able to double my riding distance in almost the same time compared to the 10 miles I was doing with the mountain bike. Today was my 4th day riding 20+ miles a day and the knee keeps feeling better and better.

Yesterday, for the first time in years, I saw my first 8 after the 1, I weight at 189, dunno why this morning I weight at 190 but I'm not disappointed, it only allows me to push harder, of course without overdoing it.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:08 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Good choice Leo, exactly how I first lost a lot of weight. Fell in love with the sport even more too

Old 05-13-2012, 09:11 PM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Proud of you Leo. The hard part is keeping it going! At first it's fun, then it becomes something you do because you are pleased with the gains you've made. Eventually you will get to the point where you don't want to drag that bike out period. Do it anyway! I've found setting a goal really helps to keep you on the bike. I set a couple of goals per year. Like a century ride in the area, or a one day trip to the beach (178 miles). Maybe a mountain trip along the Blue Ridge. If you set goals your riding routine becomes easier because you have focus. When I first started I had a 20 mile loop out and back from the house. I would ride it 4 or 5 days a week, but once a week I would ride it as hard as I could and try to set a new low time for that loop.

I started riding in 1983 at the age of 36. When I left the military I was 175lbs, I had gradually gained weight to a high around 240 lbs. I bought a bike and never looked back. I've kept a log since then. From 1984 to the present I've logged a low of 4600 miles per year to a high of 13,000 miles per year. For the past 5 years I've leveled out at between 5200 to 6200 miles per year My current weight is between 180-190lbs, no meds, just an occasional aspirin.

Keep at it buddy!

Old 05-13-2012, 09:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by serotta
I've found setting a goal really helps to keep you on the bike. I set a couple of goals per year. Like a century ride in the area, or a one day trip to the beach (178 miles). Maybe a mountain trip along the Blue Ridge. If you set goals your riding routine becomes easier because you have focus. When I first started I had a 20 mile loop out and back from the house. I would ride it 4 or 5 days a week, but once a week I would ride it as hard as I could and try to set a new low time for that loop.
That's what I've been doing. It's amazing just how much that little bit extra of challenge can really change things up. Around Little Rock there is a loop that runs up one side of the Arkansas River and back down the other, there is a bridge at either end that adds a nice climb along the way. The loop is 15.5 miles with mixed hills and some areas that make you slow down because of traffic. I could do it easily but it wasn't until I added an app to my phone that shows speed, distance, route traveled etc... that I really started to push it. I set a goal to do the loop in an hour, now I'm going for 45 minutes on my hybrid bike. I've also gotten a few of my friends riding now, that helps give me a boost on the days I feel like drinking beers instead.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Good for you Leo, if anyone can get it done it's you.

I've started working out and riding my Mountain Bike again this spring. Last March I weighed in at 264 headed towards 300+ and then I started making small changes in eating habits and before I knew it I lost a couple pounds here and a couple pounds there and I now weigh 235 according to the scale this morning. I've also started playing racquetball twice a week with a group of friends who are trying to get into shape just like I am which makes it easier to find the time to go work out. Last Thursday I played racquetball for an hour and twenty minute and then did 2.5 miles on the bike instead or riding the two blocks straight home from the gym.

Quick Reply: No More "Mr. Nice Guy"!