Any Electricians? Stove/Oven Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 05:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any Electricians? Stove/Oven Problem.

I'm having a problem with my electric range/oven/cooktop. Whenever I turn it on it stays on for about 20 seconds then shuts off. Each time it shuts off there is a "pop" sound and the breaker trips. This happens with both the oven and stove top. I have taken the oven out (its a drop in) and checked it out. Everything looks okay, but I don't really know what I'm looking for.

I did a little research on the problem and replaced the circuit breaker. After that I turned the range back on and got the same problem.

I'm pretty much at the point of calling an electrician but wanted to see if anyone else had any advise before I do that.

The range is a drop in Kenmore. Not sure on the model but its the original range (house built in 1994).

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd call an appliance repair man before the electrician. Sears guys will service about anything. If it's that old, get out the wallet, you're prolly looking at a new unit.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:08 PM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Time for a new one...

Old 03-31-2011, 08:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It happens with either the burners or the oven running ?

Have you checked that both legs read the same and you get the correct reading over both power leads ?
- The reason I am asking is if the local power company has a low voltage condition on one of the two legs, could lead to the stove trying to run on low voltage which could cause a high current inrush. You ony would notice this on 220 items like the stove, electric dryer and AC ( and it is a bit cold for AC yet ).

Did you do anything prior to this symptom happening ? ( i.e. pulled it out to clean it ? ).

Could be a bad plug for the elements / elements themselves or the switch.

Quick test, pull the elements off the top and out of the oven. After this, try turning on what ever caused it to trip before.

Depending on the mfgr / age, you might get an error when you plug the stove back in, that it will not turn on with all the elements out of it.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
It happens with either the burners or the oven running ?

Have you checked that both legs read the same and you get the correct reading over both power leads ?
- The reason I am asking is if the local power company has a low voltage condition on one of the two legs, could lead to the stove trying to run on low voltage which could cause a high current inrush. You ony would notice this on 220 items like the stove, electric dryer and AC ( and it is a bit cold for AC yet ).

Did you do anything prior to this symptom happening ? ( i.e. pulled it out to clean it ? ).

Could be a bad plug for the elements / elements themselves or the switch.

Quick test, pull the elements off the top and out of the oven. After this, try turning on what ever caused it to trip before.

Depending on the mfgr / age, you might get an error when you plug the stove back in, that it will not turn on with all the elements out of it.
It happened once about three weeks ago. I reset the breaker and everything was fine.

Last week my girlfriend turned the oven on to cook something and it blew again. Reset it again and everything was fine. On Tuesday I turned the burner on to cook some eggs and it blew.

After it went out for a third time I did some investigating. I cleaned it and pulled it out, checked it, put it back in. Also replaced the breaker. Turned it on today after replacing the breaker and same thing happened.

Don't think its a problem with the electric company, Dryer is running just fine right now. Dang.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by nightingale; 03-31-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:18 PM
Check your wires running from your stove. My friend just had the same problem. He had a burnt out wire inside the wall.

Quick Reply: Any Electricians? Stove/Oven Problem.