Pan-Mass Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse
You are my long-lost brother from another mother..I bought my first road bike when I was 13...Fuji Tivoli 12 speed with downtube shifters..1985...I remember watching the TDF after I bought it watching LeMond beat Fignon by 8 seconds...I put over 15000 miles on it before I bought my Lemond Zurich...had to sell that and am currently wheel-less...would die for anything but I like Specalized and Cannondale...would love a Cervelo...too rich for my blood..
UJ,

I went right through your town on the way to the Nachez Trace a couple of years ago. 6 of us rode it from North to South. Nice ride!
I still have a couple of bikes with downtube shifters like your old Fuji. Quiet rides compared to all the fancy brifters on my other bikes.

I still drag out the tape of the 89 Tour once in awhile and watch if for motivation. I'm always amazed that Fignon just fell off the bike in exhaustion at the end. That's the way a race should end. Leave it all on the course win or lose.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by JNC995
Any spots a must ride here in NC?
Jeez, several months later I see this post. Sorry!

I always love riding Hwy 80 from Marion, NC to the Parkway, then turning left and following the Parkway to the entrance to Mt. Mitchell. Climb up the the top of Mt. Mitchell, then turn around and retrace your tracks to Marion. It's a 60 mile ride out and back. 30 miles almost all up and 30 miles almost all down on the way back. You can park at the big box grocery on Hwy 70 about two miles from the intersections of 80. I usually go on a Weds to avoid the weekend traffic. Lots of Florida cars cruising the parkway on the weekends. They recently had their hair blued and they're out for a cruise.

Closer to home you might want to try the Tour De Moore out of Southern Pines. It's a great century. I always do my personal best there.
http://www.sandhillscyclingclub.org/home.html

Quick Reply: Pan-Mass Challenge