Acer Aspire One 721 -- Modded

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Acer Aspire One 721 -- Modded

I'm pleased to say that I got an Acer Aspire One netbook. Well, I'm not sure if I'd call it a netbook anymore... but a rather small high-performance laptop.

The 721 comes with a 1.7 ghz Athlon II Amd processor, 2 gigs DDR3 ram, 250 gig 5400 rpm hard drive, and a 384 meg ati radeon graphics card, and comes preloaded with Win 7 x64 Home edition with media center.

Cons:
- Get rid of Home edition... and go with Win 7 x64 Professional! Runs way better and less Windows updates.
- Gets rather hot... and fan runs a lot.
- Cord is rather bulky.
- Could have onboard bluetooth.

Pros:
- Small, lightweight, and packs a powerful punch.
- LED 11.6" 16:9 widescreen... need I say more.
- Uses an AMD Athlon II processor.
- Uses a separate ATI graphics bus 4225 with HDMI and VGA output.
- Full size keyboard.
- Nice design in the carbon fiber black.
- Great battery life for it's processing power.

There's probably other stuff... but I'm loving it.

Here's the mods I've done to it...

The 5400 rpm hard drive is junk, especially with only 2 mb cache. Junk, junk, junk... so I upgraded it with a WD Black edition 500 gig 7200 rpm with 16 mb cache. Along with that, I upgraded the RAM to 4 gigs. Reinstalled it with Windows 7 Pro installed all my programs, and it is running circles around my Dell Latitude e5510 with a Core II Duo and 4 gigs of ram... with the same exact software on it.

The other plus to this netbook is the fact that everything is easily accessable as far as being mod friendly... the bottom opens up exactly like the Latitude E5500 series... almost like they highjacked it.

Brought it to work today and people were like amazed... It's one sick netbook.

Quick Reply: Acer Aspire One 721 -- Modded