Anyone using a tablet laptop "convertible" for work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone using a tablet laptop "convertible" for work?

Just wondering if anyone is using one of these things and what you think.

I'm contemplating getting one.

I don't want to spend too much. A Toughbook looks like it would be a great computer for my needs but I'm not ready to commit to that much of an investment. I'd like to get something for under a grand. Like six, seven hundred bucks. At least to start.

Like I said, I'm contemplating using one of these things. Just curious what they might be like for work use.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:44 AM
Ok, I guess these aren't all that popular.

Well, I'll pose this to you all this way:

This is the computer that I'm most closely looking at:

HP-HP TouchSmart tm2t series

I don't know a ton about computers. What do you think about this thing?

It'll cost a little more than I was wanting to spend, as I would need to upgrade a few things. It's just over a grand with the upgrades that I think I need. Office home/business. 6 gig RAM. I'm not sure if upgrading the processor is necessary. I am reading that you have to have decent resources for the touch screen to function properly. While mobile I would be using this thing for note taking, by hand, and want it to respond as quickly as possible.

I don't want to spend any more than I need to at this time. Normally the company would pay for this kind of stuff, and it will eventually, but I need to figure out what's going to work best for us before I spend the companies money. At some point we're going to have to make more of an investment in the entire computing system.

In addition, I haven't worked with Microsoft Office much. I believe that One Note would be handy for me. There might be a couple other programs that are helpful. How about Exchange? Anyone using this? I would like to have our office set up scheduling and be able to access it out in the field. I would like the office to be able to set up reminders for things that I have to do, that I would access on a computer, or on a PDA.

I know that a lot of people here use this stuff all of the time. I realize that I'm basicly in the stone age. I'm a plumber, so I shouldn't need to worry about this stuff, but I do. I'd like to utilize technology to become more organized. It's just hard to know what to use, what will work best.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks!

Old 01-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just bought a Sony Vaio ($500) and will be going wireless with my small business. I've had the same cell number for twenty years and that has been my primary number since cell service came around, so, no more bills from the phone company for phone lines and DSL. I am not as concerned about the initial cost of a machine as I am about the monthly service charges which I will be cutting by two thirds. I use QB and do email and that's about it. I do still print a few checks each month and do an occasional proposal as a hard copy document so I have to have a printer handy.
Do you need and would you use the touch screen?

Old 01-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by ONELOWF
I just bought a Sony Vaio ($500) and will be going wireless with my small business. I've had the same cell number for twenty years and that has been my primary number since cell service came around, so, no more bills from the phone company for phone lines and DSL. I am not as concerned about the initial cost of a machine as I am about the monthly service charges which I will be cutting by two thirds. I use QB and do email and that's about it. I do still print a few checks each month and do an occasional proposal as a hard copy document so I have to have a printer handy.

Do you need and would you use the touch screen?
Thanks for the reply.

Do I need a touch screen? Well, I've been this far without one. I don't really need one. I do think that I would use it though. I take a lot of notes. Each sheet of paper in a pad can have information on various jobs. It's kind of tough to recall information quickly. I would like to be able to take notes, like I currently do with pad and paper, but have the ability to file them in a way that makes tham easier to recall. I could also set reminders for tasks that I have to do. I try to do that with my PDA, but would like to "streamline" the process.

I've got a netbook at the shop that I use now. I bought it with the intention of bringing it in the field. I had a contract with AT&T for internet. I didn't end up bringing it that often. I could type notes but it's really quicker to just jot things down. Then, when I have a few minutes I can organize my notes. In addition, I think that having notes on a computer would allow me to create strings for each job where I would include written notes, sketches, email correspondence, product research/web content, and whatever other information might be important to a job. Right now there is paper. Paper notes, print outs of product information, faxed supplier quotes, sketches on the back of envelopes, and whatever else we need, all paper cliped together and in a file. Stuff gets buried pretty easily this way. The deal is, my dad is the boss. It's his company and he needs to be able to know whats going on. He's not computer literate though. Trying to make things work efficiently and in a way that it's accessable to the boss can be a drag and can makes us less competetive. I have been employed at this company for a long time. I have always respected the boss and have basicly done things his way. It's time to get up to speed. There is too much paper!

If we could spend twenty grand, we could easily streamline things. That kind of investment can't be made right now. I'm trying to find ways to help move things along for now.

Last edited by wittom; 01-05-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone using a tablet laptop "convertible" for work?