Tax time!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tax time!

So, who do you use? H&R block?
Do you do it your self?

Last year I think H&R really socked it to me, and after looking I am fairly sure I got charged $200-250 for having them file, and a "hidden" fee that I didn't see until it was too late for $100.

This year I am thinking of filing my self, only one job and nothing else to file/claim.
Should just be one form.

What does F-150 online use?

Old 12-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Use the Turbo Tax online or buy the basic Turbo Tax program. Very user friendly and makes it easy. I'm a CPA and I use their business program. Sounds like H&R Block took advantage of you.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I use common sense and do it myself. Its free.

I consider tax places as one of those "lazy american" stereotypes. The same people who take their car to Jiffy lube for an oil change and dealerships for simple DIY service.

I guess then again I do have a manual transmission and consider automatics heresy

Old 12-14-2010, 01:47 PM

Old 12-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Two years ago, we used Jackson-Hewitt. We were happy with what we got back, as it was more than we really expected. Last year, we decided to use an actual tax accountant instead of Jackson-Hewitt or H&R. The cost to use the accountant was pretty much the same as Jackson-Hewitt. We were shocked when he told us how much we were gettin' back. We wound up gettin' a couple thousand dollars more in returns! Part of the reason we were so surprised is because my wife had been out of work for about 6 months and was only workin' part time for about 3 months. Worked out nice. We'll definitely be goin' back to the same guy this year.

Jackson-Hewitt, H&R, and those sorts of places just use a program on their computer and type in the information they were told to in a class the person took. It's really no difference than if you used Turbo Tax at your house. I felt more comfortable usin' the tax accountant, 'cause that's his job. That's what he does for a living. He does it for individuals and businesses. The people at Jackson-Hewitt, H&R, etc.., take a class and do that job as a way to earn a little extra money. At least that's what we were told by one of the ladies that worked at either JH or H&R (can't remember which). I'd even be willin' to pay a little more for a tax accountant, 'cause I have more faith in the work bein' done right. My parents have been screwed by H&R a couple times. They won't get my money.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbo Tax is the only way to fly (unless your name is Tim Geithner).

H&R Block seems to only get you the minimum back. And that varies from office to office.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:20 PM
H&R for the past few years. Happy with the services.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:26 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Been doing taxes myself since I was twenty.....its not that hard.....5 years ago started to use turbo tax and what a time saver it is.......
I also use intuit's other software for keeping trac of household finances......then I just import that into turbo tax....

Last edited by 88racing; 12-14-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:24 PM
My wife has her own accounting business with a couple employees so I use her. She doesn't charge me too much, lol

True story:

She had a client come in for a second opinion due to H & R Block saying they owed about $2500. She redid everything, did a little more leg work/research then they do and she was able to get them a refund of about $4500. To say they were happy when she told them that they were getting a refund instead of having to pay would be an understatement...

My wife usually is able to get clients a little bit more than H & R Block can, the above example is the most extreme so far. She charges a little less than them too.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:35 PM
I used to do them myself before I became a home owner.

Since then, I've always used a local CPA with a good reputation. I know my guy knows his stuff, and his fee is very reasonable considering how much work it would take me to do it myself. Plus he knows what deductions I can and can't use, without me having to do a bunch of research.

Basically, I use a CPA because it saves me time and I know it's done right.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:44 PM

I think I will just start doing them my self from now on.
Sounds like I would be better off anyway.

At the least I can save about $300, over going to H&R block.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:56 PM
I use a CPA because I'm bad at entering numbers. Somehow I'm always off so. I get decent refunds every time. I'm not sure if people know but you can deduct the tax preparation fees from the previous year.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:14 PM
You don't neccesarily need a CPA either, there are plenty of awesome accountants out there who aren't CPAs, plus they charge less too.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CPA or some type of accountant if you're going to pay...the individuals that work in the lobbies of H&R (and probably other places) are not tax experts. They've taken a couple of classes and learned to plug and play the numbers you give them. The only benefit, or at least the only one I can come up with for paying H&R or some other mainstream co., is the audit protection you may get with using them...other than that???

Turbo Tax is the way to go! Been using it to do ours for years and it covers everything...kids, home, combat pay, etc. Never had a problem figuring it out. And I LOVE tax season too...I already can't wait. I even have a rental home for the first time on this years' taxes and I have zero reservations about doing them myself on Turbo Tax!

Thank goodness the top 5% richest percent of Americans carry 95% of the country's tax bill or else they'd be coming after me...I make out like a bandit every year...so THANK YOU rich people if any of you are hanging out on here.

Actually, in the spirit of tax season, I guess I should be thanking all of you for paying my salary, so THANK YOU guys!

Old 12-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
been using H&R Block, might try doing it myself this year

Quick Reply: Tax time!