How does this electric 4x4 engagement work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 05:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How does this electric 4x4 engagement work?

2001 4x4 expedition.

So the 4x4 is always left in awd on the dash. This afternoon I go to pilot to save a few nickels over the 711 up the street. Bad place to go the dame truck drivers and tourist all pull in there and cluster f^&* the place bad. 8 minutes it took me to get out of the parking lot.

So when I see my chance to get out of the lot I take it. I smash the pedal and make my sharp left turn and right around 10 to 15 I guess it broke loss in the rear end and then the front freaking comes to life and barks them in the front like a 10th of a sec later. I thought the awd was a full time system on these things.

I’ve always wondered sense having the 4r100 race built with a 3K stall I break them loss in the back when shifting from 1st to 2ed but I never fell the front doing it?? Why would it be doing this when flooring it and turning at the same time and not when going in a straight line??

The boost seams to come in a little faster with the stall but I know it couldn’t be that high at low speeds sense it’s a centrifugal.

Any thoughts guys?? Its was a nerves feeling to feel and hear the front grab after the fact the rear had broke loss already. Are these things all time awd or a part time deal that only kicks in around a turn when the *** end kicks out at low speed? On coming traffic was looking at me real weird after this circus act LOL. There’s nothing odder feeling then the *** sliding out and then less then a second later the front grabs all violent like.

Gears are all stock 8.8 up front and 9 3/4 rear with 20in rims.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's hard to follow your sentences but from what you're saying, it seems normal. Boost amplifies the feeling. Why are you dumping on truck drivers crowding up a known " truck stop"? The awd systems kick in and out I guess a) so on normal roads you're not in 4x4 always and b) to save fuel $$$ for the same reason.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what you're describing this is completely normal. When the truck senses the rear tires slipping, it activates the front. This is normal for any AWD system IIRC.

Our explorers at work do the same thing. I think you should be able to put it into full time 4WD, and it wont do that any more, but driving it in full time 4WD will tear up your tires and the 4WD system.

Quick Reply: How does this electric 4x4 engagement work?