Who Does NOT...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a cell phone. An old Oystr (sic) with a basic prepaid plan. It just makes and receives phone calls which is what I bought it for (what a concept!). I keep it in my purse for emergency or urgent calls when I'm away from home and only turn it on when I actually need it.

I don't have any problems with modern technology, especially when it improves the quality of my life, especially when it simplifies it. I have a computer at home with a broadband internet connection on a WiFi network I depend on for helping me manage my life (I have ADD), for communication, shopping, education, and entertainment (it serves as a basic media center) and a netbook I pack in my luggage when I travel. I can play my "tunes" when at home or when riding in my truck. My truck has a 6 CD changer capable of playing mp3s from CDs. I have two different scanners, a laser printer, cordless phones, digital cameras, a digital audio recorder for taking notes two e-book readers, high tech rechargeable batteries and charger to feed the toys, etc. It would be nice to have a phone or other portable device I can use to connect to the internet to get movie schedules, find a store or restaurant, etc. but the convenience is not great enough to justify the expense. Instead, I plan ahead (wow, two radical concepts in a single post!).

All these "toys" are to enhance my life, reduce clutter, protect me in emergencies, etc. They do not rule my life. I don't have to be connected ear to lip with someone constantly, to listen to music 24/7, etc., to keep myself amused. I have a brain. It is capable of thinking and often gets used for that (there I go with radical concepts again), something that seems to be a dying art.

I do not resent modern technology but I do resent it when it intrudes on my life. For the life of me, I do not understand why people feel they need to raise their voices when using a phone, especially a cell phone. One time, on my last job, I was taking a business related phone call on a cordless phone. When I finished the call, my co-worker asked why I always spoke so quietly on the phone. Since I was still holding the phone, I pointed at it and said, "It's amplified. I don't have to shout into it to be heard at the other end." She just wasn't able to grasp that concept (and she is a very intelligent young woman).

When I'm watching a movie, eating in a reataurant, etc., I do not disturb others with my phone and I do not feel I should have to put up with people disturbing me with theirs. When I am spending time with someone, I give them my full attention and do not divert it to take a phone call (face it, most "emergencies" either never happen or can keep), nor listen at the same time to an mp3 player, forcing them to raise their voices so I can hear them over the music. I do not disturb people with my music. I expect (no, demand) the same courtesy from others.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cell phone only. And that is only for business purposes. I usually only answer the cell phone when it is safe to do so (when I am parked somewhere), otherwise there is voicemail and I will return your call when it is safe for me to do so.

As for the rest of that list of 'happycrap', I have never found a need for any of it, nor have I found the extra leaves on the money tree to fund the purchase of that 'happycrap'. I prefer to spend my money, what little I have, on my lousy food, shelter, and a good running F150 vices first.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by zapster
...Any of that happycrap..?
I am lucky to have a PC...
I am appalled by your use of happycrap. It's happy horse crap (leastwise, that's how I always heard it).

Old 08-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald
I have a cell phone . . .
. . . I have a computer at home . . .
. . . a WiFi network . . .
. . . a netbook . . .
. . . I have two different scanners . . .
. . . a laser printer . . .
. . . cordless phones . . .
. . . digital cameras . . .
. . . a digital audio recorder . . .
. . . two e-book readers . . .
. . . high tech rechargeable batteries and charger . . .

All these "toys" are to . . . reduce clutter . . .
Okay.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:57 PM
I have a cell phone and also an mp3 player.

The mp3 player i bought about 3 years ago and still haven't updated the music on it lol, it only has about 80 songs on it(though can hold a lot more) but i don't really care because i rarely use it and the only time i do use it is when I'm walking my dogs.

I have a cell phone because i travel a lot and move away for work(industrial construction), so it's handy to have a cell phone in case i ever brake down and i also don't have to get a land line wherever i may be living at the time(I've lived in 4 different states in the last 3 years).

Old 08-02-2010, 12:51 AM
Cell phone and PC only here. I only use the cell phone for emergencies, it's pre-paid and I refuse to buy anything other than the cheapest card which also gives you the fewest minutes.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by kobiashi
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald
I have a cell phone . . .
. . . I have a computer at home . . .
. . . a WiFi network . . .
. . . a netbook . . .
. . . I have two different scanners . . .
. . . a laser printer . . .
. . . cordless phones . . .
. . . digital cameras . . .
. . . a digital audio recorder . . .
. . . two e-book readers . . .
. . . high tech rechargeable batteries and charger . . .

All these "toys" are to . . . reduce clutter . . .
Okay.
Originally Posted by kobiashi
Okay.
Nothing like quoting out of context.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by wild-mtn-rose
Cell phone and PC only here. I only use the cell phone for emergencies, it's pre-paid and I refuse to buy anything other than the cheapest card which also gives you the fewest minutes.
I don't even bother with a card. Too much effort. I have my plan (Virgin Mobile) set up to automatically top off with $20 every three months (minimum required to maintain the account) directly from my checking account unless my balance drops below $5; then they top off with $20 and restart the three month clock from that point. Fortunately, the balance rolls over every month so I never lose anything. I do get some high balances at times but then I'll go on a trip and burn a bunch of it off. It's worked well for me the past several years.

I'd go Verizon for better coverage but, last I heard, prepaid balances don't roll over. So, if I'm ever somewhere for a short while without VM coverage, I'll buy the cheapest phone and card I can get and give it to someone when I'm through with it. I still save money in the long run.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:17 PM
glc
Received 766 Likes on 708 Posts
There's another prepay plan that Virgin Mobile has that may save you a bit - that's a $90 card once a year. You do not have to use an automatic topoff and you don't lose the account if you run it down to zero. If you do need to add in between times, you can do it online or with a card.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't have none of that happycrap plus I don't know what most of it is.

A practice I've done for decades is to put dimes in my penny loafers in case I ever need to make a couple of emergency phone calls.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
I have a cell, PC, nice camera. I live in the country and am 35% off the grid with solar, wind and wood pellets. If it all came down to it i could survive on being totally off the grid. I have spring water right from the ground and septic, so i am almost where i need to be. I would like 3 more solar panels and that would put me over 50% off the grid for electric..

Old 08-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Raoul
I don't have none of that happycrap plus I don't know what most of it is.

A practice I've done for decades is to put dimes in my penny loafers in case I ever need to make a couple of emergency phone calls.

It's time to upgrade. Quarters.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:32 PM
glc
Phones are 50 cents in a lot of places now, if you can even FIND one.......

Old 08-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by zapster
Who does not own a..
Cellphone..
I Pod...
MP3 player..
Droid..
Bluetooth..

Any of that happycrap..?
I am lucky to have a PC..

But none of the other junk.

...zap!
I don't own a Droid, but have at least 3 of everything else lol. Two techy daughters, when it breaks, it's on the shelf until I get around to fixing it. Two iPods and one iPhone still need attention, - I might get to them this month, -might not lol.

PC's, well about 15 or 16 of those, most are Dells (Optiplex GX240's). Nice Machines w/1.8 Processors, great for office work and spare parts lol. Only two MAC's. My Internet machines are a little Inspiron 1525 plugged into a FDP2185 TFT LCD. That little dual has worked flawlessly since day one. The other is a Mac Mini that's been upgraded from single core to dual core. Use is for Photos and Video.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:19 PM
glc
Where the heck did you get all the Dells - off lease or something?

Quick Reply: Who Does NOT...