So I built a new locomotive horn!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald
Are the five horns actually louder than the three or do they just sound sweeter?

I'm thinkin' of rigging my screw with a train horn (or two or more) by hooking it (them) to the factory horn system through a one second time delay relay. That way, if all I need is a polite little toot (or I sound the horn when locking the doors remotely), I'll have the factory horn available but if I need to penetrate someone's fog of stupidity, staying on the horn button past one second will switch from the factory horn to the serious one.
I really dont think there any louder . But ,They definatly have a different tone because of the 2 other horns. As Far as rigging it to your horn ??? IMO . Sounds like to much trouble . yes , It can be done . But, You can't hit the train horn with out hitting your regular horn . Not good. Just install a push button or, Do like I did and install the real train horn valve . Its a 2 stage valve so your can produce a more train like sound .

Old 06-15-2010, 02:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, I think it would be less trouble than installing another button, wiring it up, then remembering where the button is. All I would have to do is break the line going to the factory horn and run it to the coil of a 1 second SPDT time delay relay. Hook the factory tooter to one side of the relay (I would have to shunt the hot side of the coil to the common terminal of the contacts) and the serious horn to the other side. If I lean on the horn for more than a second, the relay will trip, disconnecting the factory horn and rerouting the juice to the loud horn. That way, I won't have to do any surgery on my dash and all I'll have to do is just tap the horn button for a polite toot or lean on it to really get someone's attention. I'm more interested in getting someone's attention (or blowing them off the road) than getting a realistic train horn sound.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 06-15-2010 at 02:23 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:20 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by avfrog
Nathan Airchime FTW!

Now I need to get a video done...

Old 06-15-2010, 10:32 PM
I have had both now, and the k5's are not louder. They actually are a pinch quieter and a hair deeper sounding for some reason. Here is my evaluation... If you want a nasty sharp slap in face sound, get a K3LA. If you just want the best, most realistic, most melodic, sweetest sounding horns around, get a K5LA. The K3LA actually has a sharper high pitch punch to it, where as the K5LA just sounds amazing singing the B major sixth cord.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by 4.6 Punisher
Please do make a video!
You know me

Old 06-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald
Are the five horns actually louder than the three or do they just sound sweeter?

I'm thinkin' of rigging my screw with a train horn (or two or more) by hooking it (them) to the factory horn system through a one second time delay relay. That way, if all I need is a polite little toot (or I sound the horn when locking the doors remotely), I'll have the factory horn available but if I need to penetrate someone's fog of stupidity, staying on the horn button past one second will switch from the factory horn to the serious one.
What I did was I used the factory horn relay to energizes the solenoid valve via toggle switch under my dash. This way I hit my horn on the steering wheel and I can switch between stock horn and WTF WAS THAT!!!

Old 06-16-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm too lazy to reach down for that switch. I'll becontent to be able to lean on the horn and let it automatically morph from the factory horn to a SERIOUS WAKE UP CALL.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:52 PM
I was at my local 4x4 shop, he has a set of k5's. I was standing maybe 3 feet away from when he blew them and holy crap it was loud.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
damn dude, that's insane
where did you get the other 2 individual trumpets?

Old 06-16-2010, 01:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had some Nathan's hot dogs yesterday. DAMN, those were some good hot dogs. Best I've ever had.

I bet their train horns are equally as good.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by coobies5
damn dude, that's insane
where did you get the other 2 individual trumpets?
I am member of trainhornfourms.com I done some trading with a guy for the #5. Then I done some trading and cash for the high manifold and the #3a.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:08 PM
Bad ***!

Old 06-17-2010, 08:18 PM
I'll have to check that forum out. I've never heard of it .

Old 06-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by 06 SANDSTONE
I'll have to check that forum out. I've never heard of it .
http://www.trainhornforums.com/index.php

Old 06-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by avfrog
I have had both now, and the k5's are not louder. They actually are a pinch quieter and a hair deeper sounding for some reason. Here is my evaluation... If you want a nasty sharp slap in face sound, get a K3LA.
Scratch that. I threw my 1/2" DOT air line in the trash and ran 5/8" ID hose from my 3/4" solenoid valve to the horns. My K5HA is now a little louder than my K3LA was. And as for the sharp slap in face sound? Ya it's there now. I love it. They just needed more air!

Quick Reply: So I built a new locomotive horn!