Tundra problems: I love what you do for me, Toyota!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2stroked
I'll probably get beaten in public for this, but I totally agree with the points in your post. Although I'm currently driving my 8th Ford truck, my 7th one (a 2005 F-150) had enough dumb problems to make a grown man cry. Anybody bashing Toyota should own that truck for a bit. (Maybe one of you lucky guys bought it at the aution?) Toyota - like all of the other companies who have had quality problems (Ford included) will bounce back. Remember, competition improves the breed.
Little problems aren't what makes me hate it so much. (although the frame crumbling away and expensive parts failing aren't exactly little) Its how they made a big 'truck' and try to sell it in the same class as real american trucks. What self respecting man would drive a truck that says iforce on the side of it?? They couldn't even name their motor after anything cool! macs are pretty and queer! Anything with a lower case 'i' in front of the name is for girls! They're also horribly ugly. and gaudy.

I think of pick up trucks as an american thing. I dont care so much about the previous little tundras, but the big ones just make me mad.

I mean, I guess if you're the kind of guy who just needs a very bloated looking 'truck' with twice as much cab space than bed space to put a tonneu cover on to go pick up some groceries then it works. But your groceries would be all over the place because the beds bounce around so dang much. So i don't know what you're supposed to do with them. I guess just drive them and look like a douche.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alex7191
Little problems aren't what makes me hate it so much. (although the frame crumbling away and expensive parts failing aren't exactly little) Its how they made a big 'truck' and try to sell it in the same class as real american trucks. What self respecting man would drive a truck that says iforce on the side of it?? They couldn't even name their motor after anything cool! macs are pretty and queer! Anything with a lower case 'i' in front of the name is for girls! They're also horribly ugly. and gaudy.

I think of pick up trucks as an american thing. I dont care so much about the previous little tundras, but the big ones just make me mad.

I mean, I guess if you're the kind of guy who just needs a very bloated looking 'truck' with twice as much cab space than bed space to put a tonneu cover on to go pick up some groceries then it works. But your groceries would be all over the place because the beds bounce around so dang much. So i don't know what you're supposed to do with them. I guess just drive them and look like a douche.

We all have the right to our opinions and I respect yours. I should note that when I went to sell my 2005 F-150 XLT 5.4 automatic 4x4 in mint condition with 70,000 miles on it, it was worth considerably less that a similarly equipped 2003 Toyota Tacoma (that's right, their small truck) with 100,000 miles on it though. Something about long term reliability ... ALmost bought it anyways.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Just a question. If your 2005 F-150 had such a bad resale value, why did you buy another one? Mine have all done well from a resale stanpoint. I've never owned a Toyota, nor will I ever, so I can't compare resale.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:20 PM
We all have the right to our opinions and I respect yours. I should note that when I went to sell my 2005 F-150 XLT 5.4 automatic 4x4 in mint condition with 70,000 miles on it, it was worth considerably less that a similarly equipped 2003 Toyota Tacoma (that's right, their small truck) with 100,000 miles on it though. Something about long term reliability ... ALmost bought it anyways.
Id never own one but i dont dislike the little tacos that much. But im guessing your '05 was a regular cab and the taco was a 4 door? I really dont understand why 2 door trucks are so unwanted

long term reliability.. i bet money that you will see more '05 f150s on the road in 20 years than tacomas

Old 04-15-2010, 05:26 PM
I owned a Toyodor Celica back in the day. It was the first year of the Celica in the US, so lets say it was a 1972. The only other trucks besides American back then were Datsuns.
Anyhoo, my Celica was the absolute worse car I've ever owned. If it even looked like it might rain, it wouldn't start. 2" of snow, it wouldn't move. The windshield wipers scratched the Ka-Ka out of my windshield when the car was brand new and Toyodor told me "Tuff"
Revenge is sweet..................but I don't want anyone losing their jobs over this situation. The U.S. has had enough of that.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by racer114
Just a question. If your 2005 F-150 had such a bad resale value, why did you buy another one? Mine have all done well from a resale stanpoint. I've never owned a Toyota, nor will I ever, so I can't compare resale.
The reason I bought another Ford was simple. I was just about ready to pull the trigger on a brand new Tacoma. Then my Ford dealer called and said the truck he'd ordered for me had just come in. (How's that for service?) Since I buy all of my trucks from him, he knew exactly how bad that '05 was and exactly what kind of truck I would order - if I bought another one. And, he bent waaay over backwards on the whole deal to make it pretty hard to buy anything else.

Oh yea, and my trucks have always been regular cabs and always in impeccable condition. The 2003 Taco I was looking at was also a regular cab - and not in impeccable condition. Only a $4,000 difference in value! I'll bet that Taco will still be running with 200,000 on the clock. My dealer wholesaled my old truck because they knew what a turkey it was and didn't want to have to put up with it any more.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:49 PM
The reason I bought another Ford was simple. I was just about ready to pull the trigger on a brand new Tacoma. Then my Ford dealer called and said the truck he'd ordered for me had just come in. (How's that for service?) Since I buy all of my trucks from him, he knew exactly how bad that '05 was and exactly what kind of truck I would order - if I bought another one. And, he bent waaay over backwards on the whole deal to make it pretty hard to buy anything else.

Oh yea, and my trucks have always been regular cabs and always in impeccable condition. The 2003 Taco I was looking at was also a regular cab - and not in impeccable condition. Only a $4,000 difference in value! I'll bet that Taco will still be running with 200,000 on the clock. My dealer wholesaled my old truck because they knew what a turkey it was and didn't want to have to put up with it any more.
Same options, same millage, same cab, same year.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by jrbhc8
All vehicles have issue's. Plan and simple. American workers are assembling these trucks, while the parts are being supplied and manufactured by American workers.

I get so sick of hearing about Toyota the Japanese company. The truth is Toyota is building quality vehicles with the highest percentage of American built parts. Just read the sticker on the vehicles if you do not believe me. Rant Off.
OK, look at this and tell me where it says Toyota has the highest percentage of US parts, not even close.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....ts&subject=ami

Old 04-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Here you go: 4 vehicles on the list, better than I thought.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....ory=amMade0709

Old 04-16-2010, 12:24 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Originally Posted by High-ster
I owned a Toyodor Celica back in the day. It was the first year of the Celica in the US, so lets say it was a 1972. The only other trucks besides American back then were Datsuns.
Anyhoo, my Celica was the absolute worse car I've ever owned. If it even looked like it might rain, it wouldn't start. 2" of snow, it wouldn't move. The windshield wipers scratched the Ka-Ka out of my windshield when the car was brand new and Toyodor told me "Tuff"
Revenge is sweet..................but I don't want anyone losing their jobs over this situation. The U.S. has had enough of that.
My 1976 Celica GT was one of the most reliable vehicles I ever owned. I bought it used in 1987 with 105k on it for $900 and drove it to 186k. Other than rust, there wasn't anything significant wrong with it and I gave it to my stepdaughter when she got her license. She wrecked it twice - it survived the first one but the second one pushed the radiator into the engine. I commuted over 100 miles round trip with it daily for almost 3 years. It sure didn't take Toyota long to learn how to build a vehicle for the American market.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by glc
My 1976 Celica GT was one of the most reliable vehicles I ever owned. I bought it used in 1987 with 105k on it for $900 and drove it to 186k. Other than rust, there wasn't anything significant wrong with it and I gave it to my stepdaughter when she got her license. She wrecked it twice - it survived the first one but the second one pushed the radiator into the engine. I commuted over 100 miles round trip with it daily for almost 3 years. It sure didn't take Toyota long to learn how to build a vehicle for the American market.
GLC,

I agree, I bought a brand new Toyota Corolla Liftback SR5 for $3,884 in 1976. I drove the car for 17 years and although I took great care of it, I also autocrossed it and generally drove it pretty darn hard. I sold it with just over 100,000 miles on the clock for $2,700. How's that for depreciation? The thing ran like a Swiss watch the whole time I owned it.

Fast forward to today. In addition to my 2010 F-150, I have a 2006 Scion (Toyota) xB. It currently has 67,000 miles on it - and I drive it pretty hard. You know what's gone wrong with it? They replaced the radio under warranty. That's it. Even the (original) brakes still look like new. Sorry, I'm still sold on their quality.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:23 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I'm not that sold on the quality of some of their recent vehicles sold here. I think it's slipped pretty bad. Specifically, the Tundra and Camry.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I've owned four Toyotas and two Fords.
Can't complain about either Make.

The plates on my Ford pickup came off a Toyota pickup I had for fourteen years so, they are 25 years old.

DMV has been asking me if I need new plates but, they are still legible.
The six characters aren't personalized but, VA went to seven characters on their standard plate a long time ago.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:45 PM
I used to own a Scion TC. The interior was crap and rattled like a huge bag of nickles. Also one of the loudest vehicles as far as road noise I have ever owned. My friends 08 Corolla is on his second motor. My 07 Mustang GT has never had anything go wrong with it, nor did my 2000 F150. Point being is that every Car has its issues. People have just had it pounded into their heads for decades by "Experts" that American cars were inferior to foreign products, when that isn't the case (at least for Ford) anymore. Ford products have dramatically improved as far as quality lately. Lincoln is right near the top.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:44 PM
GLC,

I agree, I bought a brand new Toyota Corolla Liftback SR5 for $3,884 in 1976. I drove the car for 17 years and although I took great care of it, I also autocrossed it and generally drove it pretty darn hard. I sold it with just over 100,000 miles on the clock for $2,700. How's that for depreciation? The thing ran like a Swiss watch the whole time I owned it.

Fast forward to today. In addition to my 2010 F-150, I have a 2006 Scion (Toyota) xB. It currently has 67,000 miles on it - and I drive it pretty hard. You know what's gone wrong with it? They replaced the radio under warranty. That's it. Even the (original) brakes still look like new. Sorry, I'm still sold on their quality.
I'm pretty dang sure you could take any '06 car and run it to 67k with no problems. the brakes still look like new because the car weighs nothing

added in: My truck has 185k on it and had the **** beaten out of it its whole life. Doing work. No problems so far except maintenance

Last edited by alex7191; 04-16-2010 at 05:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Tundra problems: I love what you do for me, Toyota!