Cleaning asbestos siding

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
What about washing it with trisodium phosphate or substitute? That's the best stuff out there for mildew removal.
TSP is a great surfactant but you may want to add some chlorine as well to kill what you don't remove.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by silversvt04
If this is a house you are considering buying, I would might reconsider this purchase. The worry would be that in the future the regulations may change as how to handle asbestos. It could go as far as to make the house vendor remove the siding prior to resale or a large renovation. That has happened here with in ground oil tanks, including the testing for and removal of oil contimated soil. Cost my neighbout almost 12 grand.
In nearly all states, underground heating oil tanks are exempt from regulation. While this could be used to lessen the asking price of the property (devalue it), the costing that you've noted is extreme. Typical removal of a 500'ish gallon UST wouldn't be more than a grand or two. If extensive subsurface contamination exists, most 'home-sized' tanks would have little potential to cause significant undue conditions.

All of that said, if it was something that I was buying - considering that I work in this exact field - it would DEFINITELY be something that I'd be somewhat concerned about prior to the divestiture.

There is asbestos sheets covering the outsulation on the foundation walls, of my house. I used this to reduce the asking price of the house when I bought it.
Bingo.

This is a strong bartering chip when going to the negotiation table.

As for the spraying with glue.. It is a means to contain the fibers on the siding as to minamize air born fibers during removal.
Exactly.

This is used commonly during abatement activities -- I even use an amended elmer's glue/water mix during some sampling activities to minimize fiber release.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vt780htx
I'll see if they come down a few grand to cover new siding.
Thanks for the input. GG
Rather than encapsulating the asbestos-containing siding with another type of siding, I'd seriously consider proper abatement and then the addition of new siding.

Abatement of a 'normal' sized house won't be incredibly expensive but, several thousand is probably a place to start -- that is, just for the abatement and disposal of the ACM.

Then, you start anew with the vinyl siding...

Quick Reply: Cleaning asbestos siding