winter time-heating advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
?

Originally Posted by hoss66
I have an older house and i dont think the walls are insulated because i have added a couple outlets in the walls and never saw any insulation. The house is all stone exterior and the interior is drywall over plaster and is about 2 inches thick total. How would i be able to insulate the walls without tearing it all down. I know the old houses with siding can be drilled and filled from the outside but i dont think that would work very well with the stone.
i know here in western,pathere is a company that does it from the inside walls-you never knew they put holes in to get the insulation in there.did a house like yours few years ago.stone on outside ,uninsulated walls, hardly any insulation in attic.customer got walls insulated , ceilings done up to top of 6" joists with additional 14" blanket rolled crossways across the joists.their heat loss went from 86,000 down to 39,000. ,hence you can see why i emphasize to my customers of a well insulated house...

Old 10-20-2009, 01:19 PM
New England winters = power failures = fried furnace control boards

I have come to find out the Computer controls/circuit boards in modern day furnaces do not like Power outages.
Previous winter, we experienced some power outages.
Once, power went out for a couple seconds.
When power came back on, it fried the board due to the power surge.
I never had a chance shut down the furnace before the power kicked back on. -ZAP-
Then Multiple trips to my house by the HVAC guys ---due to their supplier giving us the wrong board--- cost me an extra $160 in visits.
I confronted the supplier about their error in efforts to get some money back, but that was a wasted effort.
They just pointed the finger at someone else. TANGENT...
ANYWAY... MY QUESTION TO ASK-
Is there a way to eliminate the chance of the board being fried in the future?
Are there products I can buy / install so the furnace cannot be attacked again if power goes out and kicks back in quickly?
New England (and east coast) suffered crazy ice storms last year.
Based on the weather these past years, I fear we'll see more outages.
Anyone have good ideas / comments?

Old 10-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by nhford
I have come to find out the Computer controls/circuit boards in modern day furnaces do not like Power outages.
Previous winter, we experienced some power outages.
Once, power went out for a couple seconds.
When power came back on, it fried the board due to the power surge.
I never had a chance shut down the furnace before the power kicked back on. -ZAP-
Then Multiple trips to my house by the HVAC guys ---due to their supplier giving us the wrong board--- cost me an extra $160 in visits.
I confronted the supplier about their error in efforts to get some money back, but that was a wasted effort.
They just pointed the finger at someone else. TANGENT...
ANYWAY... MY QUESTION TO ASK-
Is there a way to eliminate the chance of the board being fried in the future?
Are there products I can buy / install so the furnace cannot be attacked again if power goes out and kicks back in quickly?
New England (and east coast) suffered crazy ice storms last year.
Based on the weather these past years, I fear we'll see more outages.
Anyone have good ideas / comments?
get a whole home surge protector. it mounts next to ur breaker box, ties in , covers the whole house, also get a good programable stat, it has a delay when power turns off, and compressor lock for a/c

Old 10-20-2009, 05:00 PM
the attic is already insulated so i will try to call around and see if i can find someone around me to do the walls from the inside. thank you.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by hoss66
the attic is already insulated so i will try to call around and see if i can find someone around me to do the walls from the inside. thank you.
I did mine myself, you can rent the machine to blow in the cellulose from lowes for pretty cheap.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:06 AM
Reply to JJDH...

Originally Posted by JJDH
get a whole home surge protector. it mounts next to ur breaker box, ties in , covers the whole house, also get a good programable stat, it has a delay when power turns off, and compressor lock for a/c
Thanks for that tip JJDH.
I may have heard of home sure protectors before, but it never dawned on me.
THANKS.
I'm on my way to hunt one down.
-nhford

Old 10-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nhford
Thanks for that tip JJDH.
I may have heard of home sure protectors before, but it never dawned on me.
THANKS.
I'm on my way to hunt one down.
-nhford
THe power company may have them.
I have one from the rural electric that fits right behind the meter. They install them for free, and I think I pay $5 a month for it.

Quick Reply: winter time-heating advice