Beginner's golf clubs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i worked in a proshop at a driving range for 4 years, so i have a good amount of experience with clubs

first thing is first , how much are you looking to spend ? second do you want to do it right ?

please do not buy anything from wal-mart, sure it may look similar , but i assure you the quality is not even close.

in the back room of our pro-shop we have boxes and boxes full of club heads that detached from the shaft and flew off into the range, all knock off no name brands.

If you want to do it right, first thing to do would be to get hooked up on a launch monitor and get fitted for clubs, each person is different, you might need a different shaft length depending how tall you are, different lie angles , etc....

Brands i would recommend are Taylormade, Callaway , Ping, Wilson Staff

Irons that are good are at a decent price right now , Ping G5's , Callaway X18's, TaylorMade R7, Wison Di7's

Drivers/Woods/Hybrids: Tayormade Burner 2007 line is still very good

Old 10-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Many golf shops have demo sets and clubs you can check out. I would suggest trying several before you go out and spend a chunk on something you might not like in the long run. I wouldn't waste money on a cheap boxed set from wally world. If you do continue to play you will want to upgrade those in no time. Buying a good used set is not a bad idea either. Even if you give up the game in a few months you could probably sell the used set again and take less of a hit than you would with a cheap boxed set. Like most have said do a little research and stick to the name brands!

Old 10-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Suspended
May stop off at our sports store (we have ONE sporting goods store in town) and see about whether I'd fit better on long-than-standard. Then find something used (and maybe a bit long).

Old 10-14-2009, 06:24 PM
Suspended
Someone on CL emailed me back. Ping Zings. Blue. $100 for 3-W. Has the dude's name on the hostel(?), but I dont care. Has a bag.

http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/spo/1416277508.html

edit:
Guy is 6', and I'm approx 5'10". He had them fitted. This could work nicely.

Last edited by RileyDog; 10-14-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:14 AM
Those should work until you get a little more experience under your belt. If you get hooked, then you will be more willing to spend more.

Quick Reply: Beginner's golf clubs?