My April 2009 Trip to Amsterdam (With Pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 02:55 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet pics

Damn...I could really go for those pancakes right about now!

Old 05-17-2009, 05:23 AM
I know what you mean, I don't even like pancakes, but want to go to Amsterdam just to try some of those things.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by alomar
600 euros? whats the exchange rate on that?
While we were there we got an exchange rate of about $1.25 per Euro by using the local ATMs and my Bank of America ATM card. The key is to take out big chunks of cash, if you just take out 50 bucks every time you need some cash, you get hit by the ATM fees and your banks Exchange Fees and that pushes up the exchange rate. At the airport they were charging some like $1.38 (maybe more) per Euro.

So, after all that explanation, the houseboat ran just a hair under $750 for the 2 of us.

Many of the hotels over there charge a rate that's per person, per night. The houseboat was a flat fee.

Originally Posted by JJDH
no red light district?
No pictures allowed there! I've been to Amsterdam once before, so I pretty much took the lead as we were walking around the city. Occasionally I'd lead us through the RLD without telling my wife... We'd be walking and the next thing you know we're surrounded by women in bras and thongs behind glass doors/windows. Some are very, very attractive, others... well, let's just call them scary beyond all reason!

Originally Posted by rabbit hunter
Nice photos. I cant wait to go there in 2010.
Did you get a contact high in the coffee shops, lol!!
Enjoy your trip! What time of year are you going?

The only thing I'll say publicly about the coffee shops is that they make some killer fresh mint tea. They'll take a handful of mint (yes, actual mint) and steep it in hot water, then you brew some green tea (regular green tea) in that and sweeten it with honey... awesome!

I strongly recommend checking out De Dampkring coffee shop when you go, even if you don't smoke. It's an interesting experience and you can get snacks, or freshly made fruit smoothies there too. It doesn't hurt that the ladies working there are easy on the eye either. Something else we noticed is that it seemed almost every place there had fresh squeezed OJ available, I found that kinda interesting.

Originally Posted by Wookie
Ireland for the win! I haven't been to Spain but I have been to 10+ countries in Euorpe and Ireland is the BEST! Dublin or Galway would be tops on the places to hit up. Unless you don't like the .
Oh we both enjoy the ! We're thinking if we go to Ireland, we'll make Dublin our home base while we're there. I've been to Ireland once before, but I was 12 years old, so I didn't get to really experience everything Ireland had to offer. Going to the Guinness Brewery is definitely on my to-do list!

On a side note, anyone else seen the 250th Anniversary Guinness that's available now? I had one the other day and it's pretty good, it's carbonated like a regular stout, no nitrogen, not as "creamy" either.

Originally Posted by Strikeswiftly
...let me ask you when your in those old pub style stores and stuff does it really bring that charming warm felling that it creates?

I mean when watching shows about the old countrys I get the feeling that its so comfortable there.
Definitely! We went to Wynand Fockink twice, and the 2nd time we stayed there for an hour and a half, maybe 2 hours talking with the barkeep and 2 other locals. They even switched from speaking Dutch to English so we could be part of the conversations.

You absolutely feel the age difference between the US and Europe. Most of the buildings there are hundreds of years old, not decades. There's a huge church that stands in the Red Light District, appropriately called the Old Church. It was built in the 1300s!!

Generally speaking, Amsterdam is an incredibly accepting place, as you can probably guess from their views on soft drugs, ie marijuana, and acceptance of gays. They even have something called the Homomonument (http://home.wanadoo.nl/inspiritus/Homomonument.htm).

I didn't get any anti-American vibes at all either, and the people there are very friendly, and everyone speaks English (except for tourists from other countries ). Those were some of the reasons we decided to go there, as it was my wife's first trip overseas.

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 05-17-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:52 PM
Enjoy your trip! What time of year are you going?

The only thing I'll say publicly about the coffee shops is that they make some killer fresh mint tea. They'll take a handful of mint (yes, actual mint) and steep it in hot water, then you brew some green tea (regular green tea) in that and sweeten it with honey... awesome!

I strongly recommend checking out De Dampkring coffee shop when you go, even if you don't smoke. It's an interesting experience and you can get snacks, or freshly made fruit smoothies there too. It doesn't hurt that the ladies working there are easy on the eye either. Something else we noticed is that it seemed almost every place there had fresh squeezed OJ available, I found that kinda interesting.

I will be there either June, July, or August. Taking a month off work. I have family that live outside Amsterdam, so im going to stay with them. Ill hopefully spend about two weeks in Amsterdam.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:06 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
But where are the "Chicks"?.............

Old 05-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Mmmm, those pancakes look killer!!!

Pretty cool, thanks for sharing

Old 05-18-2009, 06:00 PM
My Mom and step Dad went last year, and they said, in some parts, there are stripers standing in front of windows. And some people have flower pots in there windows that are growing pot. They say it's legal over there. Is that true? Not that I use pot, just like to see if it's true. They have pics from their trip, but I don't have any. Guess I need to tell them to e-mail me some.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
I've been to Amsterdam once before, so I pretty much took the lead as we were walking around the city. Occasionally I'd lead us through the RLD without telling my wife... We'd be walking and the next thing you know we're surrounded by women in bras and thongs behind glass doors/windows.

NCSU to wife

"oh crap, sorry honey, I must have taken a wrong turn back there. No, No, let's not just turn around, I think if we just keep on this path we will be to that old pub we were wanting to check out soon!"

Old 05-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by 06F150STX
My Mom and step Dad went last year, and they said, in some parts, there are stripers standing in front of windows. And some people have flower pots in there windows that are growing pot. They say it's legal over there. Is that true? Not that I use pot, just like to see if it's true. They have pics from their trip, but I don't have any. Guess I need to tell them to e-mail me some.
Those aren't strippers, those are hookers behind the windows!

It's illegal to grow marijuana over there unless it's for education/demonstration, and it's illegal to sell it unless you have a government issued license. As far I as know, they aren't issuing any new licenses at this point (and I don't think they have for a while).

Those stores who have licenses can keep no more than 500g in stock, and they can sell no more than 5g to any individual who's over 18. As to how the stores get supplied, there are secret grow operations somewhere I guess.

All that said, the Dutch are pretty lenient, and as long as you aren't causing problems, odds are nobody's going to harass you. In fact, the only time I saw police giving people a hard time was for drinking in public. Even then, they just made them go to a bar. They didn't ticket them, take their beers, or make them pour their beers out either.

efuehrin: Pretty much She started catching on by the end of the 2nd day once she started to get a feel for the city. She agreed though, going to Amsterdam and not going to the RLD is like going to Rome and not seeing the Colosseum!

- NCSU

Old 05-18-2009, 07:17 PM
So is the good over there.....good?

When I visited Australia for an AAU trip, the people were incredibly mellow and down to earth. We hung with one dude who owned like 1/3 of the city and was extremely cool and even joked about our american ways. I love how other countries are so accepting and don't judge people by their looks or clothes.

And btw, the good there, is great.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:33 PM
What about "Vandersexxx"...?

Old 05-20-2009, 04:13 PM
Great pics! I want to go there so bad! Someday.......
My wife and I got to go to Barcelona last summer, and Dublin the summer before that. Both were trips she won for blowing out her sales goal each year. These were the only times I have ever been to Europe. Had a great time in both cities. The best part was, they were FREE! Flight, hotel, most meals, tours, golf, transportation; all on the company. My next trip to Europe will include Amsterdam, Paris, Bordeaux, Burgundy, Rome, and Athens. (Maybe not all on the same trip, but I have a dream!)

Old 05-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Looks awesome!

Old 05-21-2009, 12:51 PM

man i want to go. looks like alot of fun

Old 05-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Weed/Shroom/High End Prostitute Pics or GTFO

Quick Reply: My April 2009 Trip to Amsterdam (With Pics!)