Hood Damage.. (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood Damage.. (pics)

ugh.. I guess you just can't have anything nice in this world.. I just got out of the gym and noticed a dent/scratch on my hood.. I'm pretty particular about looking at my truck before I get in.. and I nearly always enter the truck from the front.. so I'm pretty sure this happened while I was working out..

I'd like to think I don't have any enemies.. so I'm going to assume it was an accident.. I've had the truck for a year now, so I suppose it's not that bad.. atleast my truck hasn't been broken into yet.. lol.. *knocks on wood*

My deductible is about $500.. so I doubt it would be worth it to get insurance involved yet.. I've been reading around the forum and it looks like people have quotes near that price for a repaint.. Considering I have a dent too.. wouldn't they need to bondo it before a repaint? Any takers on how much it would cost the get it fixed..?

As of right now.. I'm definately considering attempting to "fix" it myself.. I'm thinking about doing a little wetsanding around the dent, and filling it with touch-up paint and then wetsanding and polishing it out.. paint blending or whatever you'd like to call it..

Anywho.. here's some pics of the damage.. there are actually 2 dents along with some fine scratches seen in pics 3 and 4 below the dents.. but the one of the right is deeper.. any takers on what sort of vandalism would've caused this..?

Old 04-08-2009, 07:21 PM
I am sorry that someone felt they had to do that. But man that really pisses me off I had some vandalize my truck and do $1100 in damages because they wanted the badging off my doors. I would definetly talk to your insurance agent about this and see if its covered under comprehensive and if it is you shouldnt have a deductable to pay. That looks like someone punched your hood with a closed fist look at the picks and it doesnt take much force to damage the aluminum hood on the F150.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Graphics Contributor
Looks like a good excuse for a new hood.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by JBMX928
How much would a painted new hood run me? I would imagine a body shop fix and repaint might be a cheaper alternative right?

Old 04-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JBMX928
x2! Still sucks, though. - Og

Old 04-08-2009, 07:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Insurance?

Old 04-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
A Cervinis hood would look sweet on that truck -

https://www.cervinis.com/Files/Image..._(450x329).jpg

Not sure the have them for that model, probably do.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:02 PM
I would consider repair. I'm sure a new hood, shipping, prep time, paint and install will take you way over the repair cost. IMO. - Og

Old 04-08-2009, 08:15 PM
someone egged my truck one night and it ate the clear coat! and then i have a golfball dent just like your too in my hood as well. hopin i can just re clear coat it.

do you know anyone who does body n paint work? i bought paint clear code n reducers for 70 bucks so go to the junkyard n pull one and then get it painted. macco would prob charge 120 bucks or more.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by OgRedd
I would consider repair. I'm sure a new hood, shipping, prep time, paint and install will take you way over the repair cost. IMO. - Og
yea.. I didn't even consider aftermarket hood.. but from the looks of it.. it would cost nearly $700 for an unpainted ram air hood.. Cervini seems to carry the best looking one IMO.. and then I'd still have to pay another couple hundred to have it painted.. so I think I'm gonna explore my options with a re-paint tomorrow..

There aren't very many body shops here in town though... and I really don't know what to expect.. I'm assuming the hood is gonna have to be pulled off, sanded down, some sort of body filler on the dent, primed, and repainted right..? Does that sound about right..? Anyone wanna take a gander on cost?

And yes.. I do have insurance.. but after the $500 deductible and probable increase in my insurance rate, I doubt it would be worth it.. lol... I'm not a big fan of insurance companies..

What do you guys think of this hood?
https://www.cervinis.com/large.aspx?img=678_1_big.png

Last edited by zeruin; 04-08-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

That's bs. Pure jealousy on someone's part. Sorry, man.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Stealth
Insurance?
In case you missed it....

Old 04-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Check to see if their are any "Dent Doctors" in your area. They actually use dry ice to pop the dents, [if it's not to severe] And they're also pretty good at touch ups.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Tumba
Check to see if their are any "Dent Doctors" in your area. They actually use dry ice to pop the dents, [if it's not to severe] And they're also pretty good at touch ups.
There aren't any PDR shops in town.. and it's not able to be popped out from the looks of it.. it went into and creased the metal. Looks like a bondo / body shop job.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:45 PM
that sucks...Hope it is not enemies but a random act of pettyness.

Quick Reply: Hood Damage.. (pics)