AAARRGGHH!! Looking to get a new truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2000, 02:14 AM
Location: the great stinkin' desert national monument and nuclear waste dump
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking AAARRGGHH!! Looking to get a new truck

I need some help on deciding to buy a new F150. I posted this also in engines.

I dont own a truck now, and never have. I REALLY like the F150, looking to get a XLT supercab with 4x4 5.4L
shortbox and the usual trimmings. I love the looks and the comfort and the performance. So does my wife.

I own two jeeps, a cherokee (my rig) and a grand cherokee (my wifes ride). We really like the jeeps, but they are
really too small for me. I am 6'2" and 260lbs. I like the comfort and visibility in the truck. I dont really need a truck,
per se, I dont tow or haul anything but my wife and dog and camping gear. If I was back in Idaho Falls I'd take up
snowmobiling, but...

I like to drive out in remote places using the 4x4. Not wild and crazy but just to explore. And we like to take long
trips to go to neat places.

So, here is the problem: We may be moving to a big city that you all have heard of (it's "By the Bay") for a job
change. I would be working downtown and parking in a typical parking garage. I would be going out onto job sites
like construction sites and such some of the time. I am REALLY concerned about manuvering a big truck around in
that kind of environment. Esp parking. I have driven the F150 sc/shortbox some around town here, and it isnt that
bad. But, in a tight parking area, I can see where it would be a problem.

I have an option to get an explorer, at a real good price. I like the explorer and nearly bought one earlier this year, but
I REALLY like the truck. The expedition is too big, too heavy, too expensive and too costly to operate for me.

I want your input esp those that live in big cities about how your rig handles in a big city environment. How do you
cope with parking gargaes, shopping malls and other tight places?? Would I be better off with the explorer,
independent of cost??

--karl

Old 11-12-2000, 08:44 AM
My truck doesn't fit in parking garages!
You have to use cool manouvers like riding partialy on sidewalks to park better
But in a real city zone I would get a car, sorry to say!

Old 11-12-2000, 06:52 PM
Cool

karl - is there any way you could find the heighth restrictions of the underground parking areas you may be using? Can you check some in your own area? - This would at lest give you an idea of what your up against.
Then - check the heighth of the 4X4.
When absolutly forced into it I have parked my 4X2 in underground garages in my area - with no probs.
You should have no more probs manovering around any size city in a 4X4 - I tow a 5th whl with mine over some pretty small roads & manover OK.
FYI.

------------------
98 F150 S/C 4.6 2wd 50yr. Anniv. edition Vermillion/Silver,HD Tow Pkg, Boards, Vents, Lund Bug Chaser, LaBra Tonneau cover, DIY "breezer" Tailgate, 5th whl hitch, Tool box, 16" OEM Mag's,- Bosch +4's BEEP,BEEP roadrunner floor mats.
Mobil 1 /Ford Oil filter/ K&N / air box mod.
In looks & go - Chevy - like a rock.

Old 11-13-2000, 12:20 AM
I used to do collections in a few big cities and had no problem, driving or parking the Truck anywhere. A newer big mall also has a parking garage and I was abel to park my 2wd (your 4x4 will be taller)in there easy. Of course I do take extra care when parking to avoid door dings ect, bit I would do that with any new car I owned.

Before anyone jumps on me for taking the Truck to a mall, which I try never to do, I only went there because it was the only place in a 100 mile radius that would develope pics and put them on a CD in an hour! I now had a digital cam and haven't been to a mall in months.

Quick Reply: AAARRGGHH!! Looking to get a new truck