Ignition Recall?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2000, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ignition Recall?

Has anyone heard of this yet? On the way home from work I heard on the radio that a judge here in "Commie"fornia ruled Ford has to recall over 2 million vehicles in the state! He stated that Ford knowingly produced over 23 million vehicles with faulty ignition systems. Since when is a judge an expert on auto safety and design? I thought recalls were only brought about by regulatory government agencies. Will this affect our trucks? I also have a 1997 Taurus. First it was the tires, then seatbelts and now ignition systems. Wow! I'm a diehard Ford fan but this just doesn't look good. Somebody give me some good Ford news!

------------------
Stock Stuff:
Y2K SCab 4X4, Chesnut Metallic, 5.4L, 3.55 Limited Slip, Skid Plates, Factory AM/FM/CD, 40/60 Split Bench, Sliding Rear Window, Towing Package and Keyless Entry.

Extras so far:
  • GY 305/70X16 Wrangler ATS Tires
  • American Eagle Series 146 Chrome Wheels
  • Ravin Z-55 3" Single In/Out Exaust System
  • K&N Filter
  • Blaupunkt Houston CD Player
  • Blaupunkt PCxt573 Speakers
  • Catch-All Floor Mats
  • Tinted Windows
  • Bull Ring Retractable Tie-Downs
  • www.f150online.com Sticker (below center brake light)
  • University of Georgia Hitch Cover "GO DAWGS!"
Coming Soon:
  • WMS Velocity Tube (ordered 10/5/00)
  • Spray-in Liner (or Herculiner haven't decided)
  • Stainless Step Bars
  • Hood and Window Deflectors
Pictures:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...3401&a=8556922

Old 10-11-2000, 10:15 PM
SuperCrew!

Old 10-12-2000, 12:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The TFI module was used on trucks in the 80s and early 90s. The unit has experienced an uncommonly high rate of failure. When the module fails, the truck stops running. Not too un-safe, until you're about to pull out into traffic in front of that big Kenworth and the TFI blows.

While I don't know the details of the case, I do know that this is a dangerous problem that has been well documented. Some guys even carry spare TFI modules so they're not stuck when the one they are using decides to quit working.

This doesn't affect '97+ trucks. And, not all of the 80s-90s models ran the TFI module in question. My old '93 F150 had the "good" one.

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/glass-packs, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, 2000 "XLT" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars.

2000 4x4 F250 SD XLT SuperCab SWB- 6.8L, Offroad Pkg, Camper Pkg, 4.30LS, Tape & CD player, Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, tinted windows, 265/75R16 OWL tires.

NoMo's site

Old 10-12-2000, 04:11 PM
Ford is appealing the decision on the grounds that the vehicles are safe and that the judge does not have the authority to order a recall. No judge has every ordered a recall before.

[This message has been edited by dirt bike dave (edited 10-12-2000).]

Old 10-12-2000, 05:57 PM
Looks like it's just older Fords. Up to 1996 I heard. After that Ford stopped using the "faulty" design.

Old 10-15-2000, 12:21 AM
Exclamation

Here's an update from a Cleveland TV Station tonight,

...A woman in Chicago is now suing the Ford Motor Company because the 1989 Mustang her husband was driving stalled out or died out completely on a back street. Appearantly her husband was then shot (and I believe killed) in a robbery or a drive-by shooting, (I missed part of the explaination) because he wasn't able to re-start the motor! The suit claims PART of the problem on a faulty ignition module. She still blames the crooks for the shooting, but she says it possibly could have had a different outcome for her husband if the car would not have died out!!

Some of the details are sketchy, so that may or may-not be all of the facts. I can think of several questions, like when was it last tuned-up, what kind of gas, dead battery, etc.? It may have happend just that way, we'll soon see. One of the conditions of the suit involves recalling cars and trucks with this module from 1984 - 1989. I'm sure many of these cars are probably long out-of-service, and in scrap yards.

------------------
2001 Screw XLT
Oxford White, 5.4L,
Towing, Posi, Slider
Power seat, keyless
bedliner

Old 10-15-2000, 02:44 AM
What I have herd is the EEC IV ignition systems with the distributor mounted modules are the focus of the recall. I have also herd that the problem is mainley in the smaller four cylinder and some six cylinder motors. Ford used that ignition module from the mid 80s to about 93 or 94. After that they relocated the module to the drivers fender in most cars and trucks fixing the problem of overheating the module. I have had both kinds of ignitions and while I had them I never had any problems with either system, but again I will say that I herd the recall is centred around the smaller engines. The bigger 4.9inline 6 and and 5.0,5.8 V8s should not have this problem since the distributor can be retimed so that the module can be on the cooler side of the distributor.

Old 10-17-2000, 12:50 AM
Arrow

i also was told the EEC IV system is the one in question. had this on my 90 superduty w/ a 460 c.i.d. v-8 --fender mounted module. i put over 200,000 miles on this system and never got more than 30k out of a module. i carried a spare and the special tool at all times. ford never was able to explain it.

97 f250ld sc xlt 4x4 4.6l at alpine audio bridgstone 265/75r16 dueler a/t's odysse tonneau cover

Old 10-17-2000, 10:36 PM
Arrow

Conner,

That reminds me of when I used to keep a couple of ballast resistors in the glove box of my old Mopars...and the right socket to change them whenever I needed to!!

------------------
2001 Screw XLT
Oxford White, 5.4L,
Towing, Posi, Slider
Power seat, keyless
bedliner

Quick Reply: Ignition Recall?