Phillips 19" LCD HD TV - beware

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Phillips 19" LCD HD TV - beware

I don't know if anyone else has had this experience - let me know if you have.

ON 11/16/08 I bought a Phillips 19" LCD HD TV for my bedroom. Model number 19PFL3403D/27. The set worked great for a week then one day it just would not turn on. No power. Phillips warranty sent me a replacement. Mind you this was a 'refurbished' set and it took almost 5 weeks to arrive.

Set #2 works fine for about a week and BINGO - same problem. No problem says Phillips, they'll send me another.

Set #3 arrived last Thursday. Tonight - BINGO - same problem. No power.

Now before you say surge protectors, ciruit breakers, etc., I've checked all of that. The first two sets were plugged into the same outlet where for four years I had a Sony set plugged in. That set is still working perfectly at my parents house. (May have to get it back!)

And eveything else on that circuit still functions perfectly, including the HD satellite receiver box.

So I've left a not so jolly message tonight for customer service at Phillips. Do they have a lemon law for TVs??

Anyway, if contemplating the purchase of a 19" LCD HD TV, I'd steer clear of the Phillips. A shame too because I have a Phillips 42" in the living room that I've had for more than a year and it performs flawlessely. The smaller one was an exact match, a sort of 'mini-me' TV. I doubt I'll be trying a 4th one though.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:35 PM
That sucks. Seems pretty wierd that it happened 3 times in a row, but it's possible I guess. While I don't think there is a "Lemon Law" on TVs per say, if there was I doubt you would have a case because you're talking about refurbs and not brand new sets.

Good luck man, I hope it works out for you.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Get a Samsung.........

Old 01-14-2009, 11:10 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Yankee7985
Get a Samsung.........
Seconded

There is the no lemon law but technically speaking you do not apply. The lemon law will get you a replacement generally if the same tv is fixed numerous times. Philips is actually coin more than most mfg's would. Most attempt to fix it numerous times before they swap it. Your best bet is to try to get a phone number for corporate or a vp of the company and calmly explain the situation and see what options they give ya.

Been in tv sales for many years so be happy they have swapped it so many times but see what options they give ya.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:12 PM
I wouldn't buy a LCD unless it was a Samsung or Sony

Old 01-14-2009, 11:17 PM
I've had a Vizio for a year know and have had no problems with it. Best tv I've ever had.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:00 AM
If you do a search on that set there does seem to be alot of similar complaints. I got a Polaroid 19" for the bedroom a year ago and have been happy with it.
Do some searching on line for that set/problems and then talk to them about it.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by 03 SCrew
If you do a search on that set there does seem to be alot of similar complaints. I got a Polaroid 19" for the bedroom a year ago and have been happy with it.
Do some searching on line for that set/problems and then talk to them about it.
Thanks. For someone who damn near lives onlne, I didn't think of that!

Last edited by Smokin Lariat; 01-15-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:40 AM
Wow - Walmart site is full of customer reviews reporting the same problem - some months before I bought mine. Found other sites with same. Similar problems too on the "magnavox" twin unit also built by Phillips. That settles it for me. I'm going for a refund and gonna buy a different brand. Phillips just lost a customer. To have known this model was faulty all this time and do nothing about it just sucks.

But I've also got a 06 ford truck that has the d**n problem spark plugs and they seem to be doing the same thing rather than face up to a defect. What a world! At least Ford has offered some repair fixes. Hey, maybe they could just start replacing our trucks when they hit 100,000 miles!

Old 01-15-2009, 01:49 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
we had an old TV, rear tube, bubble screen, about 19" growing up, my parents got it when they got married. anyways it was a badass TV for what it was at the time. Then we decided to get a replacement 19" Phillips (rear tube bubble screen) that was newer, better looking, all that crap. Lasted 9 months and it crapped out on us. This other TV was fine at the time we got rid of it, and lasted over 15 years without any problems. Since then ive stayed clear of Phillips......

Hope you get your money back. Who did you buy it through originally?

Old 01-15-2009, 10:41 AM
I bought it thru American Express actually - using bonus points from my account. Still waiting to hear from Phillips but Amex has offered to help and gave me a 5,000 point bonus point bump on my account.

My receipt shows the cash amount paid so I'm hoping for a cash refund, but if it just a refund of my points - with the Amex bump at least I can still get a better and possibly slightly larger TV. It won't be a Phillips!

It may be a battle though as their warranty says replacement is the EXCLUSIVE remedy for consumers. We'll see...

Old 01-15-2009, 11:34 AM
I have a Phillips plasma and it has the best picture I have ever seen but yeah all the reviews I have read say stay away from Phillips!

Old 01-15-2009, 03:29 PM
I had a philips tube tv I bought in 01 or 02. It worked flawlessly until I carried it up to a friends a few weeks ago. Now it works flawlessly for him. Surprised to hear such bad about Phillips. But with an LCD .. as stated ... go Samsung or go home. Standing in the stores looking, samsung next to sony, phillips and sharp, the difference was BLINDINGLY obvious in which had the best picture. I bought myself a 52" Samsung HD 50,000:1 contrast ratio for x-mas

Can't wait to get my Wii in the mail and hook it up

Old 01-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Well for those interested Phillips did not fight my request for a refund. I have to return the 3rd bad TV of course and then wait 4-6 weeks but presumably I'll eventually get my money back.

So - suggestions for the best small size 19-26" LCD HD TV out there? Samsung noted. This is for the bedroom and late night viewing.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Suspended
Samsung LN26A330 FTW!

Quick Reply: Phillips 19" LCD HD TV - beware