About to graduate high school...What are my military options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at all of your options before choosing one .. Any good recruiter can make their program sound like the best.

under no circumstances should you believe anything the recruiter promises you.

It doesn't matter what the recruiter promises you.. if it isn't in writing on your signed contract, it isn't going to happen .. and even if they promise you a certain school, job, etc .. there are still instances and occurrences that can change that. Keep an open mind, be smart, and you can find something that you will enjoy, and will benefit you for the rest of your life, no matter what branch you select.

the Nuclear Navy is lot of fun, and will give you very marketable skills for the civilian world, either path, Officer or Enlisted.

All the branches have their positives and negatives .. do your research. Get info from people other than the recruiters.

- former MM1(SS)

Old 01-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Str8t six, whenever you're going to the galley in your 8wk stay, look over to the right, and you'll see my F150. It almost always there.

Good luck, and I'll see you out here. PS. I hope you like the wind.
JNC, do you work there or something?

i head up to cape may on tuesday!

Old 01-09-2009, 04:08 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
cotedog03 - don't rely on the recruiters, you've done the right thing to ask for advice... explore your options and then decide what you want to do.

str8_six - thank you for your service, i know you're just starting out but remember the few weeks are there for a reason and once the basic training is over it'll be more enjoyable, the people you go thru training with will be your friends for life (only ones you'll find closer are the ones you go to combat with)

Old 01-10-2009, 08:14 AM
Str8t six, whenever you're going to the galley in your 8wk stay, look over to the right, and you'll see my F150. It almost always there Hope he does'nt get caught "skylarking"

Keep yer eye's in the boat!!!

Oh the memories

Old 01-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cotedog, check out the Florida Air National Guard. May be what you're looking for!

Old 01-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Cotedog,

Stay away from being a firefighter. The pay is horrid, jobs are becoming scarce, they pay sucks and safety is a major concern.

You are a smart kid, once you get out of the military get your butt into college.

But, if your heart is set on being a fireman, do what I did and marry a doctor so you don't have to live in a box on the side of the road.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by str8t six
JNC, do you work there or something?

i head up to cape may on tuesday!
Sure do. I'll see you scared s***less, and confused on Wednesday.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:01 AM
If I were you I would join an Air National Guard unit and let them pay for school. You will be part time and can work another job. Go to college! After you finish school then look for an officer slot if you're still interested.

ROTC might be an option if you want to be an officer.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:10 AM
I would look into an ROTC program if you are interested in attending college right away. I did this when I was in college, and they will pay for your school for the first two years, with no obligations to stay in longer. This will allow you to learn a ton about what you are looking to get into, as well as make some good friends right away at a new school, which is always a plus. There is a time commitment involved, but for the most part ROTC in the first two years is very similar to taking any other class.

Quick Reply: About to graduate high school...What are my military options?