Has Reg Cab Lariat been dropped for 2000?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-1999, 12:25 AM
dcd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has Reg Cab Lariat been dropped for 2000?

I noticed while on the Kelly Blue Book site today that the Lariat trim is missing from the regular cab models.

I currently have a '97 regular cab 4x2, and with the SnugTop shell I have been quite happy with it. I was hoping to trade it in 1-2 yrs for a 4x4 reg cab with all the goodies, but at this rate there will only be stripper work trucks offered.

I was also upset that the 3.73 axle is gone,as well as the 17" chromed steel wheels (I like them although I know a lot of people don't...frankly, I am tired of the old 17" aluminum wheels)

Old 09-29-1999, 10:36 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I was disappointed to hear it was discontinued. The only reason I can think of is greed on Ford's part. The only difference between an XLT reg cab and the Lariat was a seat, steering wheel, some door trim and a sticker. It's not as if there was some great cost savings on the assembly line by dropping it. If sales weren't high enough for a certain trim package it's ended and those that would have wanted it are railroaded into something else that costs more. By following the sales trends they give the majority what they want and the minority will conform or they are out of luck. This trend has not gone unnoticed by Dodge. They have run several commericals showing a long line of black and grey drudgery with one bright red item, the slogan 'Be Different'. When I was shopping for trucks I noticed that Dodge was not nearly as bad as Ford when it came to 'Oh, you can't get that with this.'. But, Ford is number one in truck sales and they will continue to herd us like cattle down the increasing dollar trail, no matter how much we moo.

------------------
99 Lariat R/C 2WD 120"WB 5.4 3.55LS Tow Dark Toreador/Gold Line-X
raoul_oba@hotmail.com (Virginia)

Old 09-29-1999, 05:33 PM
dcd
I'm like you, I don't think it would really affect the assembly line, even if it wasn't selling very well. As far as I know, the Super Duties still have the Lariat/Reg Cab combo and surely they sell more F150's than SD's.

Old 09-29-1999, 10:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well there is 2 other things the Lariat has stanard that the Xlt doesn't have and that is the V8 and auto trans.

Old 09-29-1999, 10:40 PM
dcd
hmustang,

I think what Raoul meant, is that there are only a few things you get with a Lariat that you can't get on an XLT. Namely leather seats/steering wheel and LED-signal side mirrors. BTW: in my opinion, if you are going to get a fully loaded XLT, you might as well get the Lariat since it is only about $800 more and will probably have better resale.

Old 09-29-1999, 10:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I have a fairly well loaded XLT and couldn't be happier except for the gas mileage.
If you really want the signal mirrors they can be bought at the online store.

------------------
99 XLT 5.4L reg cab
4x2 120" Wheelbase
4 wheel disc brakes/ABS
5 star larait style wheels
Toreador Red/Silver
3.55 gears 255/70/16 OWL
Delta toolbox
Eclipse 5340 cd player
Memphis ARCS50 component speakers w/tweeters mounted flush in the door panels (excellent sound)
Sherwood 35x2 RMS amp for components.
Jensen 50x2 RMS for subs.
2 6.5" Bazooka tubes
Lowering shackles?
54regcab@duesouth.net in Columbia SC

Old 09-30-1999, 08:10 PM
Cool

I also have a Reg Cab Lariat and love it. Have never seen another one, Raoul is the only other one I know of. With Ford discontinuing them I'm fairly sure I won't see any more. I agree it's not cool of Ford to limit our options though. Try finding a well optioned Reg Cab on a dealers lot. You are forced to order a truck you cannot see or drive. The biggest reason I got the Lariat was the color keyed mirrors, 4X4 style grill, and fender flares, which are not available on a 4X2 XLT.
Jeff

------------------
1999 F150 Lariat
Reg cab Short box Styleside
5.4L 3.55ls
Deep Wedgwood Blue/Silver
Lund Interceptor hood shield, VentVisors, Class III hitch, Ford molded mud guards, soft tonneau, factory CD with changer (thanks Dusty), tinted windows

Menasha, WI

http://www.fortunecity.com/silversto...ton54home.html

Quick Reply: Has Reg Cab Lariat been dropped for 2000?