vacation in the new truck.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-1999, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post vacation in the new truck.

I just got back from a 2100 mile trip in my 99 F-150 5 speed. Drove through Arizona, Colorado, Utah, and Nevada. Left L.A.August 27 and made it to the Grand Canyon by night. I must have had every species of bug splattered on my window and bumper.Grand Canyon is beautiful. Kind of makes ones life seem insignificant when you see the grandiose of the Canyon. From the Canyon, we drove to Colorado. Some of the prettiest country you will ever see is in Colorado, especially Silverton, Telluride, Mancos area. From there we drove to Northern Colorado, then through Utah, and finally to Las Vegas. The truck ran well except for the hilly mountain areas of Colorado. With the altitiude and the 4.2 engine, the extra power of the v-8 would have been nice. I had to use third gear at 35 to 40 mph. to pull up the steep climbs because 4th wasn't strong enough. in one piece and spent a good day detailing the truck.

Old 09-05-1999, 09:37 PM
Thumbs up

Bob1: Sounds like a nice drive to me! We also went on a vacation in our new truck a month ago. Went thru Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Colorado. You are right, Colorado is beautiful, would have been better if it wasn't so crowded with tourists like me! Like you, we found the 4.2L a little light in the pants, but we got excellent gas mileage in the trade. Encountered absolutly no problems with the Ford. Next time my wife and I will not wait so long to go on vacation together... (17 years) P.S...what kind of gas mileage did you get on your trip? j.b.

------------------
99 SC Sport, Silver color everywhere, 4.2 auto,3.55 rear gear, split bench, stock AM/FM @ 2 cheesy speakers w/Ford brand bedliner. Keep'n stock from the factory because we love it for what it is...One fine ride!

Old 09-05-1999, 09:41 PM
Location: Chandler/Queen Creek, AZ You pick as to which town I'm in! Hehe
bob1,
where you pulling a trailer when you made the trip? I ask this because i have made several trips to northern az hauling a 375lb atv and all the necessary gear/tools, and i never dropped lower than 4th. i have the same size engine and trans as you do.

------------------
99 F-150,XLT, Silver, 2WD, 4.2L, 5spd, RegCab, Shrt WB, Styleside.
Current Mods:Billet grille, Line-X bedliner, 5%window tint all the way around, Alpine CD w/2 MTX Subs & Rockford Fosgate 250w amp. K&N Airfilter. Glasspac w/dual exhaust exits out the back.
Future Mods: Superchip, driving lights, & a custom paint job

Old 09-05-1999, 10:55 PM
jb- I averaged about 16 mpg. Probably would have been better if it weren't for the hills in Colorado

Old 09-05-1999, 10:58 PM
Fordman 99- I don't have a trailer. In fact i rarely use the truck for any hauling. I might be in the minority in that i just like trucks because they look cool. BTW, have you encountered any problems with your 5 speed tranny like alot of other manual tranny drivers such as rough shifting? Bob.

Old 09-06-1999, 02:26 AM
Location: Chandler/Queen Creek, AZ You pick as to which town I'm in! Hehe
Bob1,
Yes I did have a problem with rough shifting from day one, and a squeaking clutch pedal about 7 months later.
I took the truck in on 8/4 and got it back on 8/9. They ended up replacing the slave cylinder and pressure plate assembley. The truck shifts a lot smoother now, then when I drove it off the lot.

------------------
99 F-150,XLT, Silver, 2WD, 4.2L, 5spd, RegCab, Shrt WB, Styleside.
Current Mods:Billet grille, Line-X bedliner, 5%window tint all the way around, Alpine CD w/2 MTX Subs & Rockford Fosgate 250w amp. K&N Airfilter. Glasspac w/dual exhaust exits out the back.
Future Mods: Superchip, driving lights, & a custom paint job

Quick Reply: vacation in the new truck.