A/C problems!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-1999, 02:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post A/C problems!!!!

I got a 98 F-150 and about 1 in 100 times I turn on the A/C after sitting for a while like 4 hours or more it makes a awful noise. The noise almost sounds like gears grinding and it only last for a couple of seconds. Is there anyway that the belt could make this noise? I checked the tension on the belt and I can push it down about half a inch so I don't know if thats bad or not since I'm not that mechanically inclined. I'd take it to the Ford dealer but I know I would just get the same old response "COULDN'T DUPLICATE" after the jerks have it for a couple of days.

Old 08-16-1999, 07:30 AM
Hey Vern,

I would not worry about it, it is probably just the A/C clutch. When it sits for a litle while the springs and stuff in the clutch probably develope a little rust from condensation just like brakes do when it sits overnight. If it did it every time then I would say you have a probblem but 1 in 100 is no biggie. Your belt tension sounds fine.

No what I mean Vern?

------------------
'99 XLT S/C 4.6 Auto 3.55 LS Oxford White,Orlando appearance package, trailer tow package, keyless entry, A.R.E. Hard tonneau, ventvisors and bug guard all painted to match, limo tint, 5 spoke aluminum wheels, Kenwood 6 Disc, black Back Country nerfs, Buccaneers front license plate! I Luv it!

Old 08-16-1999, 09:55 AM
Hey JD
You got it all wrong ! A&P mechanics say "can't duplicate" when they can't fix a problem or don't want to..Dealers say "that's normal" when they can't fix a problem or don't want to (9 times out of 10).

Just kidding. Anyway, My truck does the same every once in a while. I've always attributed to the clutch and havn't worried about it as long as it pumps out some cool. Like you, I'm not going to bother bringing it in. In fact, I'm never going to bring it in unless the check engine light is on because that's the only thing they can figure out (assuming there are trouble codes). Trying to get a Ford mechanic hands dirty and do some trouble shooting is like getting your wife to shut up..IT AINT GOIN TO HAPPEN

------------------
99 F150 5.4 4x4 ORP 3.73 styleside deep wedgewood blue ..no mods (yet)

Quick Reply: A/C problems!!!!