Bored over my lunch hour

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05_sprcrw
Most of the other high level people in my company feel that you need to go out to lunch every day. Me personally I like the cooking that goes on at home.

So what do you guys do for your lunch? Go out, bring a lunch, go home for the time being?
I eat out up to 4 times a week. That includes breakfast, lunch, and dinner. So 12 times? I expense all of my meals when out of town. It is really awesome at first...then you crave anything that is cooked at home. Hell, mac and cheese with cut up wieners is better than eating out at a nice restaurant. Think I am crazy? Ask some of the guys that travel... One can eat only so many fillet Mignon steaks.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:24 PM
scott1981

This is true, I just did it for so long I got burned out. Also with the price of gas I feel guilty if I don't try to cut corners where I can
Me too. Now I just do the pbj and Frito's w/an apple and water, sometimes a pop.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

When I got this office job I bought a little fridge and I keep it stocked with mayo, lunch meat, and cheese.

And I load up my cabinets with chips and bread and stuff.

So I usually just make a sandwich and eat that.

But I almost always go to Hooters once a week! (.)(.)

Old 08-12-2008, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Shinesintx
I eat out up to 4 times a week. That includes breakfast, lunch, and dinner. So 12 times? I expense all of my meals when out of town. It is really awesome at first...then you crave anything that is cooked at home. Hell, mac and cheese with cut up wieners is better than eating out at a nice restaurant. Think I am crazy? Ask some of the guys that travel... One can eat only so many fillet Mignon steaks.

I hear that man! I used to travel 95% of the time and it get's very old.

Residence Inn man!!! Kitchen included...

Old 08-12-2008, 02:30 PM

My dad used to travel a lot...he said the exact same thing.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Cook together / eat together, Brotherhood.

13 guys on my shift, dues are $10/day and that gets you two full meals. We rotate each week who gets to cook, unless you are banished from cooking! Has to be good food, no hot dogs or baloney sammiches here! We are here for 24 hours so, M-F we make lunch and dinner and on the weekends we make breakfast and dinner, I still havent mastered this sausage gravy thing being a yankee and all, ha ha.

Anywho, here is where the work gets done!

Old 08-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Graphics Contributor
i've been bringin mine. ham sammich chips n green tea is good for me.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by efuehrin
I hear that man! I used to travel 95% of the time and it get's very old.

Residence Inn man!!! Kitchen included...
I usually try and stay at Hilton properties. Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, and Hilton. Its all about the points for me.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:28 PM
we have a lunch truck that comes daily to the shop so ussually eat off of that but i does get pricey

Old 08-12-2008, 03:33 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by ademartin1
we have a lunch truck that comes daily to the shop so ussually eat off of that but i does get pricey
mmmmmmmmmm roach coach food

Old 08-12-2008, 03:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh I completely agree, there is only so often I can eat out. I absolutely believe that there is no better meal then a home cooked one. Don't get me wrong I like to go out and eat on occasion, but I prefer home.

Originally Posted by efuehrin
When I got this office job I bought a little fridge and I keep it stocked with mayo, lunch meat, and cheese.

And I load up my cabinets with chips and bread and stuff.

So I usually just make a sandwich and eat that.

But I almost always go to Hooters once a week! (.)(.)
I am working on getting a mini fridge for my office as well. And the hooters idea would be great but this dumb little town I am in, literally ran hooters out of town. A direct quote from one of the activists " Hooters gets men all drunk and horned up, then while I am walking home I will have to be worried about being raped. Not to mention its demeaning to girls, its not like they want to work in skimpy outfits and have guys gawking at them all the time...."

Old 08-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by 05_sprcrw
And if I was closer I would love to go home over lunch each day, I could let my lab out to play. I feel so bad leaving him inside all day but when you live by yourself there is no other option. I would leave him out side but we have had peoples dogs stolen out of there yard during the day before. And he is way to friendly for me to take that chance.
That's exactly what I get to do. 5 months ago I left teaching where I got only 23 minutes to eat lunch. Even less actually when you consider that I had to wait on the microwave being that there were 9 other teachers sharing the same lunch period. Needless to say I had no choice but to eat my lunch at work.

Now with my new position (Educational coordinator at a Texas state park) I get an unrestricted hour for lunch which I can take anytime I want because I essentially make my own schedule. To top it all off, I'm only 0.6 miles from my house. So I go home every day for lunch and let my 2 year old lab out to play. She absolutely loves it.

Not only have I seen a big savings because I no longer buy the prepared, prepackaged meals that run $4 to $6 x 5 days each week, but I've also been able to shed a few unwanted pounds due to slower eating and playing with my lab.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:13 AM
We pay $25 a week for our meals that we cook. I am on rotating shift work, I'm am here 12 hours for 14 out of 28 days. It comes out to $3.60 for a day of food. We get a good home cooked meal and a cabinet full of snacks. We have cerel and milk for breakfast or eggs, bisquits, bacon. Then we will have a full meal for lunch, if is night shift we will do the reverse.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:06 PM
I'd like to eat more home cooked meals at work - I agree with Shines that it does get old eating out all the time. I'd imagine that 3/5 or 4/5 days lately I've eaten out. I usually end up going with associates that "owe" me lunch for referrals / business I send their way or once in a while a client that I need to kiss *** to. So basically they are usually free, which is nice, but I'd still even prefer a nice packed lunch somedays over going out and wasting how much time in the day eating something that is quite boring lately. I donno. Good post seeing as how this has been on my mind lately

Old 08-13-2008, 12:25 PM

I usually try and stay at Hilton properties. Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, and Hilton. Its all about the points for me.
I hear ya there! Embassy Suites has breakfast at least.....

I once had a room at the Residence Inn in West Orange, NJ for a year straight.....never checked out once....at $125 a night.

I racked the points up that year

Quick Reply: Bored over my lunch hour