Thumper's 1st Handgun

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Thanks for that. Is that ammo good?
It's the least expensive (that I've found) manufactured by a reputable company. I've fired two cases (.40 cal) of it over the last couple of years with no misfires.
The savings is in the casings. They are aluminum and are not reloadable.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:46 PM
What do you think about getting something like the Insight MX6?

Thanks for that, is that ammo good?
CCI is my favorite ammo to shot in mine. I like the Blazer Brass ammo since I can reload it.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:52 PM
Suspended
What do you think about getting something like the Insight MX6?
Overpriced, and can only be used on your weapon. Surefires run about 100-150 bucks. I love mine and keep it in the truck, also one by the bed. They are bright, very bright. The military uses them, and so does law enforcement. It will be more of an all around use type of product.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:58 PM
Suspended
Ya, I know. I've used them before and they are by far one, if not, of the best out there. I just like the fact that it's mounted on the rail. I guess it's just personal preference. I'll end up waiting a while before I do anything. Got any recomendations on a safe?

Old 07-18-2008, 12:02 AM
Ya, I know. I've used them before and they are by far one, if not, of the best out there. I just like the fact that it's mounted on the rail. I guess it's just personal preference. I'll end up waiting a while before I do anything. Got any recomendations on a safe?
These guys usually have good deals:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/searc...=search&k=safe

Old 07-18-2008, 12:04 AM
X2 on the Surefire! I've got one on my 590 and love it.

I plan on getting an XD sometime in August... Probably PM you about the gun later on... I already plan on a trigger job as soon as I get it. A lot of new XD shooters shoot low and to the left due to the XD's long travel and reset.

I'm a member on www.AR15.com and will probably join www.XDTalk.com next month.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:30 AM
Suspended
before you wast money on a damm surefire go someplace that carries both the sure fire and the streamlight I have both and surefire can go blow a rhino twice the price and the battries only last half as long the damm switches on the surefire suck a big one (I burned 3 shirts and my skin with the surefire's version of a tac switch) some of it is personal preference but it is not all subjective look at and handle both

http://www.streamlight-flashlights.com/ here is the site link

http://www.streamlight-flashlights.com/75124.html this is the one I started with

http://www.streamlight-flashlights.c...ights-com.html have 2 of these

http://www.streamlight-flashlights.c...uxeon-led.html the one I use at work

"Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands." Jeff Cooper

Old 07-18-2008, 12:42 AM

I was also looking at getting a led light + laser sight. Brand recommendation? Model? I was looking at the Insight MX6, any thoughts?

Why do people insist on putting a laser/ light/ TARGET on their weapons? I've cleared buildings before (for real), and the last thing you want is a light on the weapon... in direct line of sight (bullet path) to your head. Get a hand held Surefire (or equivalent), and hold it out to your side at arms length with your non-firing hand. And for christsakes, if you have a laser, not only do the bad guys know where to shoot, they also know where you're aiming (ie, all over the room, not necessarily at them).

Or even better, only use the weapon when they come to you, or across your line of sight at your hole up position... clearing a building or house by yourself is really stupid.

Last edited by akheloce; 07-18-2008 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:51 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Glocks kick ****!...............

Old 07-18-2008, 06:00 AM
Suspended
Man I cant wait to get me a XD, XD 40 here I come!

Old 07-18-2008, 07:42 AM
[QUOTE=MudTerrain;3295688]

I already plan on a trigger job as soon as I get it. A lot of new XD shooters shoot low and to the left due to the XD's long travel and reset.
QUOTE]

I agree with this. I bought an XD 9mm and 40 cal. last year and that describes my only complaint with them. Before you go and put on a night sight or laser, i would get a good feel for the gun alone. that way when you sight the laser in, you can adjust it with more confidence. ive never had a problem with guns, but it took a little more time to get used to it.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
too bad you're not in Texas and can't carry it in your vehicle with you without a license. Damn I love this state. Gotta love being able to take your second ***** with you everywhere

Old 07-18-2008, 08:21 AM
Congrats Thump! Nice choice Enjoy your new gun. Be safe. Learn your firearm inside and out. Practice as much as you possibly can. Start with the CCI Blazers until you are proficient, and then start practicing with hotter loads and the SD rounds you plan on carrying, cleaning your gun thoroughly after every session. Most ranges offer lessons if you need them. If you are going to carry, make sure you study every firearm and self defense related law in your state. Cops have no sense of humor about firearms violations. It also doesn't hurt to look at cases that have been through your courts, where firearms were used in self defense. This way you'll get a real good idea of how to avoid trouble. The Firing Line is a good forum to check out for general firearm talk. There are lots of knowledgeable folks there. (the GD section is a tad boring though - F150online FTW!!!)

Gun collecting and shooting is good clean fun, albeit expensive. Once you get the bug, its as addicting as the automotive mod bug. Let's see sime pics when you pick it up!

Old 07-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by Jwool15
Gotta love being able to take your second ***** with you everywhere
You only have 2 penii? You must be more secure than me...

Old 07-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Its only illegal if you get caught

Quick Reply: Thumper's 1st Handgun