Myanmar

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Myanmar

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet. Those citizens are in a bad, bad situation right now.

In a statement in the official media after Myanmar turned back a team of Qatari rescue workers coming in on an aid flight this week, the foreign ministry said Myanmar would accept ”relief in cash and kind” but not foreign aid workers.

“Myanmar is not in a position to receive rescue and information teams from foreign countries at the moment,” the statement said. “But at present Myanmar is giving priority to receiving relief aid and distributing them to the storm-hit regions with its own resources.”
Exactly what position would be ideal for you? WTF is wrong with the government over there? Greed? Pride? Get the F over it! You've got 95,000+ dead or missing for over a week and you think you have a handle on it? You practically have the UN beating down your door to help out and you turn them away.

Article

Old 05-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Screw em. If they don't watn help let them suffer. Another example of Darwinism.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by JimBeam
Screw em. If they don't watn help let them suffer. Another example of Darwinism.
It's the government refusing the help. I'm sure the citizens would take all the help they could get.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
other countrys are always bashing the united states. but whose the first on scene dropping tons of food and supplies etc...if we didnt help we be accused of not caring enough. it a military government over there so..we all know how well that system works.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:03 AM
See that was my initial reaction, but then I got to thinking about how the people who are desperate and are dying for help can't get it because their governing body is too hung up on itself. Those "leaders" can rot, but God help those folks in need.

Also, they were hosed from the start. Heard a report on NPR the other morning that government issued warnings on television only, regardless of the fact that only 30%* of the nation has electricity.

*Guess on my part, but I think I'm remembering it pretty close.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Maybe those people should leave the country. I wouldn't stay in a place like that.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe the military government has something to hide from the rest of the world.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:33 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Myanmar has one of the most oppressive regimes in the world. The government does not want anyone in their country who might pollute their citizen's minds with anything resembling democracy.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/myanmar/

Old 05-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Maybe those people should leave the country. I wouldn't stay in a place like that.
I'm pretty sure they kill you for a stunt like that over there.
I had a professor in college who spent a lot of time there once. He said it was horrible the way that country was run and treated his citizens. I'm not sure why the hell he would even go there. I'd be too scared that I'd never get to leave if I ever went there.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Myanmar has one of the most oppressive regimes in the world. The government does not want anyone in their country who might pollute their citizen's minds with anything resembling democracy.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/myanmar/

Sounds like most liberals...

Old 05-09-2008, 01:44 PM
leaving the country is easier said than done. what do you think happens to people who try to leave north korea for example???

Old 05-09-2008, 02:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KSUWildcat
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet. Those citizens are in a bad, bad situation right now.

Exactly what position would be ideal for you? WTF is wrong with the government over there? Greed? Pride? Get the F over it! You've got 95,000+ dead or missing for over a week and you think you have a handle on it? You practically have the UN beating down your door to help out and you turn them away.

Article
The USA recognizes the country as Burma.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
The USA recognizes the country as Burma.
Let's add Burma to the list of Countries we need to "save"

Afghanistan
Iraq
Iran
North Korea
Sudan
Burma

Old 05-09-2008, 02:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BHibbs
Let's add Burma to the list of Countries we need to "save"

Afghanistan
Iraq
Iran
North Korea
Sudan
Burma

In humanitarian crises, yes.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:18 PM
If the government of Burma says they dont want help, then I say we forget about them. It always amazes me how so many countries badmouth the United States, but when disaster strikes we are always expected to help out.
How about instead of helping out other countries we take care of our problems at home. Theres plenty of starving people in this country and there are still victims of hurricane Katrina whose lives havent gotten back to normal yet. How about instead of always worrying about other countries, we take care of our own?

Quick Reply: Myanmar